George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

43 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Terrific!

i sure hope that this multi-billion dollar enterprise that is called the "NFL" is paying your friends at least a modest fee for their performance and hard work.

I'd be surprised if they did, considering the NFL owner's tendencies to scam cities out of hundreds of millions of dollars for stadiums

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Terrific!

i sure hope that this multi-billion dollar enterprise that is called the "NFL" is paying your friends at least a modest fee for their performance and hard work.

They don't even pay the halftime performers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gene said:

My best friends band was asked to play the Superbowl Live event and from what i know they are kicking it off on Saturday Jan 28th...yet i dont see it on the site that was posted...IF it's a go and announced i hope everyone makes it out to see them!!! stay tuned www.blueoctober.com !!! :) 

Nice! I just clicked the website and noticed they've updated the page to show performances every day of the festivities.. I was wondering if thurs/fri/sat would be the only shows. A guy I grew up with will be performing on Friday.

1-jan28.jpg

2-jan29.jpg

3-jan30.jpg

4-jan31.jpg

5-feb1.jpg

6-feb2.jpg

7-feb3.jpg

8-feb4.jpg

9-feb5_mobile.jpg

• Like 6

heck yeah! thats actually my best friend Justin pictured in the first photo too! GO BLUE OCTOBER getting to headline the first night on the main stage!!! (and by the way the pay was good enough that Justin is flying in from his solo tour the day prior (New York) then flying back out the next morning to continue his solo tour (Massachusetts) just for this show!!! :) 

1-jan28.jpg

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Wonder if this is still in play..

June 10, 2016

"While Bill is a pioneer in historic preservation in Houston, some might be surprised to find out he's also building a shiny new convention center hotel (breaking ground after the Super Bowl) and helping to pioneer hot new developments in young neighborhoods like Midtown, where he is serving as chairman of the Midtown District. Bill is proving you can cherish the young and old at the same time."

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/hotel/bill-franks-is-proving-houston-is-serious-about-preservation-61229?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Wonder if this is still in play..

June 10, 2016

"While Bill is a pioneer in historic preservation in Houston, some might be surprised to find out he's also building a shiny new convention center hotel (breaking ground after the Super Bowl) and helping to pioneer hot new developments in young neighborhoods like Midtown, where he is serving as chairman of the Midtown District. Bill is proving you can cherish the young and old at the same time."

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/hotel/bill-franks-is-proving-houston-is-serious-about-preservation-61229?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

That's a crazy little nugget of huge news slipped in at the end of a story.  :-)   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LTAWACS said:

I love your sarcasm.

No it's geniune. I expected very little from the SB crew and they delivered with some quality Houston/Austin (GCJ) artists. I know my default tone is sarcasm here, but I'm impressed with the SB.

It helps that my expectations were very very very low. Practically nonexistent.

• Like 4

I'll probably bike around the area next weekend. not gonna be around there SB weekend.

as far as ESPN going where they are rather than on the other side of downtown, well, they are in the action over here, not on the other side of town. they aren't on disco green, but they're within very short walking distance.

• Like 3

Walked around there Saturday after a photoshoot and man I am so loving the GRB in person! They did such a great job with the Avenida Houston...its so great to see the ground floor being put to GREAT use with so many food options and just a nicer enhanced exterior...from the outdoor seating to the amazing fountain sculpture to the landscaping...just beautiful! The restaurants are really coming along with Grotto open for business, the Deli had staff training and looks ready to open this week, while Pappadeaux was working furiously to finish and you can tell they know what they are doing to make that happen by Super Bowl... 

and it also has this, which maybe i missed written about somewhere...but i did not get to see this area: 

https://www.avenidahouston.com/articles/post/launch-brings-houstonian-designers-to-avenida/

as much as i LOVED everything about GRB...there was one slight disappointment...

I am just not much of a fan of the Bird and Cloud sculpture...I want to be and wish i was...i'm just not...it's not ugly and i don't hate it...I just don't understand it haha...even in person it looks like a giant mess of mesh...i LOVE art and THINK i have pretty good taste and this just doesn't inspire me or make me think wow that's amazing or even interesting... it just made me think wow they really were desperate to fill up such a big empty space that needed something...

and for a million dollars you would think i wouldn't feel that way...but maybe that is just me.. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gene said:

as much as i LOVED everything about GRB...there was one slight disappointment...

I am just not much of a fan of the Bird and Cloud sculpture...I want to be and wish i was...i'm just not...it's not ugly and i don't hate it...I just don't understand it haha...even in person it looks like a giant mess of mesh...i LOVE art and THINK i have pretty good taste and this just doesn't inspire me or make me think wow that's amazing or even interesting... it just made me think wow they really were desperate to fill up such a big empty space that needed something...

and for a million dollars you would think i wouldn't feel that way...but maybe that is just me.. 

Sorry, I might be having a senior moment here, but what is the Bird and Cloud sculpture? Are you talking about the Wings over Water fountain, or something else?

3 hours ago, gene said:

Walked around there Saturday after a photoshoot and man I am so loving the GRB in person! They did such a great job with the Avenida Houston...its so great to see the ground floor being put to GREAT use with so many food options and just a nicer enhanced exterior...from the outdoor seating to the amazing fountain sculpture to the landscaping...just beautiful! The restaurants are really coming along with Grotto open for business, the Deli had staff training and looks ready to open this week, while Pappadeaux was working furiously to finish and you can tell they know what they are doing to make that happen by Super Bowl... 

and it also has this, which maybe i missed written about somewhere...but i did not get to see this area: 

https://www.avenidahouston.com/articles/post/launch-brings-houstonian-designers-to-avenida/

I agree. I think first graders could have come up with something more interesting and meaningful. But that's just my two cents.

Edited by LTAWACS

1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

Sorry, I might be having a senior moment here, but what is the Bird and Cloud sculpture? Are you talking about the Wings over Water fountain, or something else?

Hi! Its the large installation in the main entrance to the GRB and can be seen from outside:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/Commentary-Ed-Wilson-s-bird-and-cloud-sculpture-6849943.php

Wow.. That bike share dedication ceremony must of happened right after I was there. I noticed the new station and all the landscapers doing a bunch of work to spruce up that triangle section.

Wings Over Water was moving today.. Im not sure if its been turned on for long, but today was the first time I noticed it moving, so I took a video..

I didn't realize it would make that much noise. I wonder if they plan on greasing it up/trying to make it a bit quieter. Kind of hard to hear over the wind noise in the video, but every so often when the wind dies down you can hear the whine of the crankshaft turning.

• Like 6

^^^ @cloud713 props for the cool video my pal.  maybe it's me, but i find that the WINGS OVER WATER art/fountain to be the single most brilliant and magnificent piece of art structure to come into downtown houston in decades.  I JUST ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!  especially the brilliant, rich, and decadent colors at night.  yes, it may be a bit loud at times, but so are a flock of geese while they are migrating in flight... right?  i am so very happy and proud to have this piece within our new and burgeoning downtown district.  WOW!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, monarch said:

^^^ @cloud713 props for the cool video my pal.  maybe it's me, but i find that the WINGS OVER WATER art/fountain to be the single most brilliant and magnificent piece of art structure to come into downtown houston in decades.  I JUST ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!  especially the brilliant, rich, and decadent colors at night.  yes, it may be a bit loud at times, but so are a flock of geese while they are migrating in flight... right?  i am so very happy and proud to have this piece within our new and burgeoning downtown district.  WOW!

It does look cool all lit up at night.. I was just kind of surprised at the noise it makes when the crankshaft rotates. Super Bowl visitors who haven't been to Houston since the last super bowl/happened to be downtown when ESPN had their broadcast in front of the GRB back in 2004 are going to be in for a shock when they see what this area has become.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, monarch said:

It's an innovative use of pumpjacks, celebrating Houston's oil legacy!

• Like 3