George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

11 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Seems like a plausible scenario.. I still wonder if anyone has any official confirmation on what happened, or how it will be fixed. They've got what, like two weeks before the Super Bowl festivities start?

I wonder if the freeze(s) had anything to do with it?

it didn't get cold enough for something that deep in the ground to have frozen.

has anyone seen if there's any water in the parking garage right below this? I'd imagine if there's a leak under whatever water barrier there is that it will eventually leak into the garage too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

the MM turned out so well.  I can't wait until the boutique hotel above Partnership tower gets announced and is underway.  This area is becoming very flashy and sleek.

Agree, and given what it was back in the 80's, it's a huge transformation.

Amazing what a few hundred million dollars will do.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, samagon said:

it didn't get cold enough for something that deep in the ground to have frozen.

has anyone seen if there's any water in the parking garage right below this? I'd imagine if there's a leak under whatever water barrier there is that it will eventually leak into the garage too.

Thats true.. I guess it would of had to of been a pretty deep freeze to go that deep into the ground. The water above it serves as a decent insulator too I'm sure, just interesting timing. Good point about the garage.. hopefully they can get this fixed quickly. I haven't been back since those pictures, but it would be interesting to see what the site/repairs look like.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:04 PM, Nate99 said:

Agree, and given what it was back in the 80's, it's a huge transformation.

Amazing what a few hundred million dollars will do.

A few hundred million? I assume you're just talking about the $300+ million hotel? The construction costs of the developments around DG are well over a billion dollars.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ctaf said:

That bench! I want it

Except, have you seen how the front rail of the "seat" has already had the epoxy  paint worn through?  They are all like that..... take a look.  These will look like crap soon enough or will require a lot of maintenance if not.......

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Except, have you seen how the front rail of the "seat" has already had the epoxy  paint worn through?  They are all like that..... take a look.  These will look like crap soon enough or will require a lot of maintenance if not.......

Where do you see that? I see the anti-skateboarder bump things to keep skaters from grinding on the bench/tearing them up, but no worn through places..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Where do you see that? I see the anti-skateboarder bump things to keep skaters from grinding on the bench/tearing them up, but no worn through places..

Easy easy to see in person but also in photo.

zoom in on photo.  Walk your eye down towards the kid seated on the left.  Look at the front rail.  That discoloration you see is not dirt but wear through.

IMG_0797.JPG

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Noticed that the first week they were installed.  There are also spots where the railing is bent already.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Hmm.. I didn't notice it originally (I usually check HAIF on my phone), but I see it in the close up. Weird.. I wonder how/why it would already be showing signs of wear?

I don't know but, frankly, since the benches have been installed and open to the public for what? Only Two months? It seems to me that within 6 months those things will look terrifible.  GRB management needs to be chasing somebody for warranty work.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 9:41 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Went with my twin daughters to the convention center district. The entire area is beautiful. Did notice the benches and yes the paint is coming off. Actually saw people promenading. In Houston! Checked the pool area at the Marriott. Fantastic view. 

"Checked the pool area"..? Do they let the general public wander around inside/go up to the pool deck?

• Like 1

http://www.papercitymag.com/fashion/major-changes-houston-shopping-scene-wave-new-stores-super-bowl-impact/

Houston’s fashion and design community is making its mark on Super Bowl LI with LAUNCH, an exclusive pop-up shop taking over the ground floor of Partnership Tower (701 Avenida De Las Americas.).

At the helm of the endeavor — PR firm Squid Inc.’s Sydney Dao (sister to fashion designer and Project Runway season two winner Chloe Dao); and Houston First Corporation, which manages some of the city’s premier convention and art institutions including Hilton Americas-Houston and George R. Brown Convention Center.

The pop-up will feature nearly 15 local designers and artisans including Chloe Dao, fashion illustrator RongRong Devoe, clothing line Onyii, fair-trade accessories line La Mochi, and jewelry line Temple Street. LAUNCH runs through Saturday, February 26.

• Like 2

I agree, ESPN could have done much better. Eleanor Tinsley does offer a nice backdrop but will lack the foot traffic and crowds all week that ESPN desires for their many broadcast shows.

Somewhere like Market Square would have been my guess but this chosen lot is close to the major hotels where their anchors and crews will be set up. 

Edited by 'Stonian
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tonyhtown said:

Wow ESPN new spot is not a very good one in my opinion I'm surprised I haven't heard of someone setting up at Eleanor Tinsley park with the view of downtown 

Well it is prone to flooding. Saw it yesterday and it was completely underwater. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tonyhtown said:

Wow ESPN new spot is not a very good one in my opinion I'm surprised I haven't heard of someone setting up at Eleanor Tinsley park with the view of downtown 

See Naviguessor's image from Camden superblock park/ Tinsley Park from yesterday and tell me how good Tinsley park would be in two weeks.

• Like 2

My best friends band was asked to play the Superbowl Live event and from what i know they are kicking it off on Saturday Jan 28th...yet i dont see it on the site that was posted...IF it's a go and announced i hope everyone makes it out to see them!!! stay tuned www.blueoctober.com !!! :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gene said:

My best friends band was asked to play the Superbowl Live event and from what i know they are kicking it off on Saturday Jan 28th...yet i dont see it on the site that was posted...IF it's a go and announced i hope everyone makes it out to see them!!! stay tuned www.blueoctober.com !!! :) 

Terrific!

i sure hope that this multi-billion dollar enterprise that is called the "NFL" is paying your friends at least a modest fee for their performance and hard work.

• Like 2