George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Those cables don't appear to me to installed for the purpose of supporting a canopy..... the branches appear to be in the way of installing a canopy.  

Took a walk over there this morning.  The entire area is quite elegant.  Thoughtful design.  It will be a tremendous asset for Houston and for guests to Houston.

oh, and the " wharf" is really not in front of Pappadeaux.  It's much further north than that.

• Like 2

I'm kind of surprised they aren't having a New Years celebration at Disco Green this year. It may be an issue of sponsorship, or they just don't want to host a big event while they are putting the finishing touches on everything prior to the Super Bowl. Either way, this area is Houston's prime celebration spot so I hope they do it in future years.

• Like 3

Just went jogging through this area....wow. This will be HUGE for downtown Houston once all of the restaraunts are open. There is also lots of buzz around the Marriott Marquis as it opens today and saw a bunch of suits inside Biggio's for some sort of meeting I supposed. Can't wait to check it out.

• Like 1

This really looks great.  Can't wait to see what happens with Block 98, the boutique hotel being announced on top of Partnership Tower, and the future development of the block north of the Marriott Marquis.  This area will draw so much positive attention during the Super Bowl for the next building cycle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

This really looks great.  Can't wait to see what happens with Block 98, the boutique hotel being announced on top of Partnership Tower, and the future development of the block north of the Marriott Marquis.  This area will draw so much positive attention during the Super Bowl for the next building cycle.

I know it kind of a pipe dream but it would be amazing if they use the original Alexandera design for this Hotel it would go great with the area

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Agreed.

i wished, I really wished beyond all wishes, that they would build the Marriott Marquis on the lot to the north and have used the current location to EXPAND discovery green.  Oh well.  A boy can wish, right?

• Like 3

On 12/28/2016 at 6:37 PM, bobruss said:

There are always people who like to be negative about change. They said the same thing about the Main street rail line , and how it wasn't going to attract development. Look at it now. I think they said the same thing about Enron Field when it was planned downtown. Now its turned into a bustling residential and hotel neighborhood. Its usually people with no vision for the future and are stuck in the past, I love it.

I don't think the issue is change. Nobody (from what I remembered) was enthusiastic or had fond memories about the undeveloped area around GRB and therefore negative towards change. The issue is public money to finance private enterprises which sometimes raises negative concerns. Discovery Green is a very nice park. I'm glad there is development around the park. But did the Marriott Marquis break ground because it was near the park or because the city offered $138million in incentives? Is new residential poping up around Minute Maid  Park because it's a great public development project or because the city offered tax incentives to developers to build residential in downtown? Is there any private development along the ride line north of downtown?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

I don't think the issue is change. Nobody (from what I remembered) was enthusiastic or had fond memories about the undeveloped area around GRB and therefore negative towards change. The issue is public money to finance private enterprises which sometimes raises negative concerns. Discovery Green is a very nice park. I'm glad there is development around the park. But did the Marriott Marquis break ground because it was near the park or because the city offered $138million in incentives? Is new residential poping up around Minute Maid  Park because it's a great public development project or because the city offered tax incentives to developers to build residential in downtown? Is there any private development along the ride line north of downtown?

Bingo.

and, if Discovery Green continues on the course it is on, it will become little more than extended event space for private conventions or other functions.  After all, one of the stated purposes of the GRB renovation is to seamlessly tie the two facilities together (hence the street configuration).  More and more conventions will use some or all of the "park" and will have even less space for the public to enjoy. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 4:01 PM, hindesky said:

A temporary cell phone tower for the Super Bowl crowd is going up a couple blocks away from Discovery Green.

r9pME2c.jpg

There seems to be a lot of these going up; across the street from Houston House a black pole is going up that looks much more pernament, and when I asked a worker on it he said that it was a cell phone tower

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2017 at 6:40 PM, cloud713 said:

To me it looks like a pipe broke under the "lake" and the trapped water forced up a plastic liner, which was covered in a thin layer of cement and dirt.  The boat was probably used by maintenance personnel to check out the issue.  Just a guess though...

DSC01861

DSC01879

• Like 1