George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

^^^ @hindesky i cannot help but concur with you in regards to the timing of the interior completion of these forthcoming restaurants.  however, one can only hope and pray that their respective management teams know just what they are doing.  also, i was under the impression that the PAPPADEAUX SEAFOOD KITCHEN would be located at the front northern area of the GRB (where GROTTO is now located).  are you now stating that this establishment shall be located where the PAPPSITOS is in the HILTON AMERICAS?  will they actually have two major restaurants in that close proximity to one another when they could have very easily spread them out within the overall GRB vicinity?  of course, this is not at all unprecedented, just a bit strange imo.

The fine folks at the GRB gave me unprecedented access (not really, just peeped through the window ;))

%5BURL=http://s841.photobucket.com/user/natenate_01/media/IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz338/natenate_01/IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

The fine folks at the GRB gave me unprecedented access (not really, just peeped through the window ;))

%5BURL=http://s841.photobucket.com/user/natenate_01/media/IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz338/natenate_01/IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

I give up posting pics on here smh

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I give up posting pics on here smh

Here you go. Not sure what the issue was, but I usually like to right-click the image and select "copy image address." Then paste that directly in the post body. The embedding feature will then take over and display as below:

IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg

• Like 9

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

Pappadeaux is working feverishly to remove dirt from the floor of their place on the southern end of the convention center. I assume it's to redo the plumbing in the site. I just don't see how any of these restaurants in the GRB and Houston First can finish in time for the Super Bowl even if they work 24/7 to do it.

When I opened my coffee shop it took almost 6 months to go from cutting the slab to drop in plumbing to having the occupancy number stuck on the wall (doors open).

I had never built out a restaurant space before. My GC didn't understand the drawings from the architect, the architect wasn't available easily for the GC, codes and permits were tough, it seemed like no one understood what was going on. This was my first build out, I had no idea what I was doing.

Pappas have opened hundreds of restaurants around the country, more than half were opened in Houston. They know how to get things built, they probably have a person, or team on permanent staff at corporate that their only job is to ensure that they can build out and open new restaurants on a specific target date. And considering how much they've built in Houston, they probably know their way around the permit office. They will likely not have many 'gotchas' to slow them down.

It will be tight, but would anyone want to be the GC that had to say "Yeah, I was building the Pappadeaux in the GRB, yeah, they wanted to be open for superbowl, but that didn't happen" He'd totally caveat that statement by saying it wasn't his fault, but no one's going to believe him. So yeah, he is going to be working extra hard to make deadline, and there's probably a decent bonus in it for him if he comes under.

They'll probably have someone permanently hanging out in the permit building when the time comes, and the GC has probably already built out a few Pappa's restaurants and knows what he's doing so there will be minimal design questions about how to interpret the drawings and he'll likely have all the trades lined up appropriately.

I'll be shocked if I can't go in there and order a crawfish etouffee 2 weeks before superbowl.

• Like 5

Many times large chains have managed construction teams that go around the country putting in new units. They have it down to a science.

It will be tight, but I'm thinking positive. Permits will be issued for this much faster than any other project in the city. Houston First will make sure of that.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Here you go. Not sure what the issue was, but I usually like to right-click the image and select "copy image address." Then paste that directly in the post body. The embedding feature will then take over and display as below:

IMG_0759_zpsex9b4lrz.jpg

Thanks! I'm on an iPad so when I copy and paste directly from photobucket that's what it gave me???  

This is the kulture space.. I have photos of all the spaces except papadeaux which is block off by plywood.  kulture looks to be behind the most although the BBQ place is still digging.   I'll try to post again and if it doesn't work maybe you can do your magic haha

Edited by nate4l1f3

From the story announcing Pappadeaux:  "The new Pappadeaux, seating 250 guests, jwill cover two floors with dining on both levels. There will be a full bar with seating for 18; counter seating with for 12 looking into the kitchen; three private dining rooms on the second floor; and a large patio facing the Avenida. It will open January 2017."

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 8

Was at Disco Green last night and noticed some new and nice lighting effects.  The two tall, hollow pylons above the center two red columns were lit in changing colors.  There were also white spots lighting the new, high visors over the central entrances.  Looked very good. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Was at Disco Green last night and noticed some new and nice lighting effects.  The two tall, hollow pylons above the center two red columns were lit in changing colors.  There were also white spots lighting the new, high visors over the central entrances.  Looked very good. 

^^^ i usually check out the mounted construction CAM at least twice daily / nightly, and around 10:00p i did notice that one of the hollowed pylons was lit with a gorgeous purple LED lighting effect.  although, this cool new lighting trend is becoming quite popular, for some reason this one, in particular, was absolutely gorgeous and very rich in its overall aesthetics.  i applaud the work that the GRB officials are partaking in preparing these properties in lieu of the forthcoming SB.  if all goes according to plan, and the weather cooperates as well, HOUSTON shall become the toast of the nation post SB.  

• Like 3

Although we haven't quite gotten to the big show, this city and all of its public-private partnerships has done an incredible job transforming this corner of the CBD.  I think it will show great to investors from around the country/world that will be here during the festivities.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Well photobucket isn't working for me right now and I can't figure out how to delete my old attachments on HAIF but if you look at the webcam, quite a few trees lining the avenue now.  Starting to really come together!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/HoustonFirst/GeorgeRBrownConventionCenter

Go to your profile and click on 'My Attachments', click on the attachments you want to delete to take you to the original posting and delete from there.  It took me a minute to figure it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quietstorm said:

Go to your profile and click on 'My Attachments', click on the attachments you want to delete to take you to the original posting and delete from there.  It took me a minute to figure it out.

Ahhhh thank you so much! I was totally clueless on how to delete them from the My Attachments page.

• Like 1

dark_blue_question_mark.png

^^^ @DrLan34 props as always for the illustrations my pal.  however, this $1.03mm ED WILSON birds sculpture was supposed to be a crowning achievement inside the aforementioned grand lobby of the GRB.  from what we are seeing as per your illustrations, it looks like some roustabout halloween bats.  surely, i am mistaken.. correct?

may you please espouse a bit more upon this much heralded and important lobby sculpture / art?  does it really look like this in person?  does it even really fit this magnificent grand lobby?  i have been awaiting some illustrations as per this all important piece of art, and i shall have to admit that i am extremely disappointed if this piece really looks this bad in person.  surely, the city did not make a mistake of this grand magnitude.  if you don't mind my pal, may you please tell us a bit more about this important illustration.  props in advance...

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2