George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

I have so many questions from this rendering

It looks like another event designed to kill the grass of that main lawn.  I like how CNN is banished to a corner, with Fox (who has the rights to broadcast the game) front and center.

Will that field have people doing each play live with the game?

What is up with the screens - what will they be showing, and is "HTX" on 3 big screens or just 3 big banners?

What is the strange blue square up in the left hand corner?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cspwal said:

I have so many questions from this rendering

It looks like another event designed to kill the grass of that main lawn.  I like how CNN is banished to a corner, with Fox (who has the rights to broadcast the game) front and center.

Will that field have people doing each play live with the game?

What is up with the screens - what will they be showing, and is "HTX" on 3 big screens or just 3 big banners?

What is the strange blue square up in the left hand corner?

Sometimes the old-ass commentators do try and imitate some of the plays, yes. It's quite sad.

I'd imagine the screens will show the game to an exclusive pass crowd, and imagine those are just banners for the TV background.

The blue square is the glass of the walkway from the conference hall to the Hilton.

EDIT: hahaha, confused right and left

Edited by Nucleareaction

If you cut that lawn in half, the crowd in front of the stage won't be very big. I'm guessing this will be fairly limited access.

The blue square in the top left behind the pond over by the Marriott is placed where a rather steep but short grass covered hill is located.  I'm not sure if there is anything permanent (other than dirt) under it or not, but they would have to take it out to put whatever that is up in its place.  Bouncy castles are always a crowd pleaser.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

^^^ HTX vs HOU, both abbreviations are indeed adequate.  however, from the standpoint of out of town guest arriving into houston from throughout the nation and abroad, i would think that the HTX moniker is the one that all would clearly comprehend.  this is probably why the SUPER BOWL committee went with the latter for this design.  jm2clogo.png

• Like 3

Pappadeaux!

" Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, a popular Cajun seafood brand within the bulging Pappas Restaurants portfolio (including Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Pappasito's Cantina and Pappas Bar-B-Q restaurants), will take a 9,000-square-foot space on the southwest corner of the convention center facing the new pedestrian promenade called Avenida Houston. It is the largest restaurant space in the collection of the Avenida restaurants announced by Houston First. "

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Pappadeaux-to-join-downtown-dining-hub-9190707.php

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

LOL @ the guys playing a fiddle and banjo on the bench

Urban renewal has gone too well, we're drawing in hipsters.

The work on the street itself seems to be really slow. I'm guessing with ~4 months to go to the SB festivities that it won't be wrapped up with much time to spare.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

LOL @ the guys playing a fiddle and banjo on the bench

Funny, they don't really look like hipsters.  

Or... horror of horrors... in the eyes of some graphic artist elsewhere* our hipsters just aren't fully hip?

*who likely maps out downtown with Main Street running from left to right, and Texas Avenue up and down

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Urban renewal has gone too well, we're drawing in hipsters.

The work on the street itself seems to be really slow. I'm guessing with ~4 months to go to the SB festivities that it won't be wrapped up with much time to spare.

The Super Bowl is in February, I think.  More like 5 months.  But, your point is well taken regardless.  I could have sworn that this project was supposed to be completed "mid-summer 2016".   Last I heard, it was "November".....

45 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Is there enough time to get any other restaurants up and running before the Super Bowl? or could we have 1 restaurant and 5 other vacant spaces?

Yeah, you can bet money that all of these restaurants will be open in time for Super Bowl.  (Not sure what 5 vacant spaces you are talking about.)

• B&B Restaurant – This “signature” restaurant of the Marriott Marquis will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner in an “airy” and “unpretentious” setting.
  • Bud’s Pitmaster BBQ – Upscale, Southern-style smoked meats.
  • Cueva – The Marriott Marquis’ “wine cave” will feature more than 200 bottles and 20 wines on tap.
  • Texas T – Quick-service coffee, tea, and pastry shop.
  • Grotto Downtown – Italian-inspired fare (think Neapolitan-style pizza and housemade pasta) plus craft beers and a broad selection of wines.
  • Xochi – This new concept’s name means “to bloom or catch fire,” which means that Ortega and his top-notch culinary team plan to let their creativity run wild. What exactly that means for the menu remains to be seen.
  • High Dive – A casual eatery offering panoramic views of Houston, snacks, and “off-the-grill” fare surrounding the Marriott Marquis’ Texas-shaped pool.
  • Biggio’s – Sports bar inspired by Astros legend Craig Biggio.
  • Kulture – Breakfast Klub owner Marcus Davis’ “exploration of the cultural contributions of the diaspora from the continent of Africa thru the Caribbean.”
  • McAlister’s Deli - Quick-service sandwich chain.
  • Pappadeaux.