George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Question:

the new restaraunts that are going into the GRB: is part of the GRB construction the construction for the restaraunts too?  Is not, it's gonna be a very close call for them to build out and be fully open by, say mid-January.  That would give a week or two to "de-kink" before the crowds.   

Anyone know the schedule?  

Edited by UtterlyUrban

^^^ @HoustonMidtown awesome illustrations my pal!  these are the types of illustrations that we have been longing to view.  EVERYTHING that is being constructed around the GRB as well as the MARRIOTT MARQUIS.  i am thinking that the new downtown PAPPADEAUX shall occupy this corner spot in the upper illustration since it is due to fill approximately 9000sqft of retail space as the largest forthcoming new restaurant.  

omg who would have ever thought we would be excited about seeing photos of the GRB much less wanting to go there?! seriously boggles my mind since i always hated this building...now i love it haha! its exciting to see this building and this area become what it is...WOW! thanks for all the amazing pics and updates everyone! 

• Like 2

^^^ @hindesky unfortunately, we have many houstonians that aren't "fans" of our notorious tropical climate.  and yes bradshaw does indeed seem quite uncomfortable.  however, i shall equate this to an extremely poor decision to not have this broadcast crew dress more comfortably during the extreme height of houston's outside elements.  why on earth are they so OVERDRESSED?  this is a FOX production / management problem!  there are all forms of professional climate wardrobes that these gentlemen can don for houston's extreme september temperatures.  not to mention, many of these broadcast stalwarts are getting up in age, they should demand that they are dressed more comfortably during an outside broadcast.

nonetheless, our good pal, you definitely seem to be quite comfortable, as evidence to these gorgeous illustrations.  well done....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:28 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on The Rustic at 1836 Polk St from In the Know Houston (http://intheknowhouston.com/the-rustic-opening-downtown-houston/):

Type of thing I was thinking might go better in the Warehouse District over near the bayou. But I imagine land there is prohibitively expensive. The bad location of this parcel behind parking garages makes it affordable for something like this, and it is a short walk from major hotels and DG park-goers.

• Like 1

in Terry's defense, he's from Northern Louisiana, and it's not quite as humid there.

Somebody That I Used To Know's family rented a trailer from Terry's brother while her father was in engineering school at LA Tech... Terry was the talent at the first corporate theater show I ever did, so we had things in common to chat about :)

"Houston First Corporation and the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau are now in their new home in Partnership Tower, the 10-story office building that connects to the north end of the George R. Brown Convention Center. The new building looks out at Minute Maid Park, Discovery Green and the downtown skyline. It is attached to the GRB via sky bridge and adjoins a 1,900-space parking garage that will also serve the forthcoming Marriott Marquis Houston.

Monday, September 12, was moving day for most employees, who will be housed on the second, fourth, sixth and eighth floors. Although the building is not completely finished, it was a smooth transition and most of the boxes and moving crates have been emptied as the new offices take shape."

http://www.houstonfirst.com/news/press-releases/weve-moved-houston-first-has-a-new-home

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Is 4+ months really that short of a time to finish out a restaurant space? 

At 500 Crawford it does. They've been working on their restaurants since I moved in 3.5 months ago and they are no where close to being done lol. 

Then again they just don't seem to be in any hurry to get them open and I haven't seen any visible progress in a month and a half... 

• Like 3

Once the shell was built for the Carrabbas I was managing partner of in Austin it took just under 4 months to finish. Of course there were people everywhere all

night the last few days putting in booths,  hanging ceramics on the walls finish painting somethings. Its incredible to watch the process up close but its done all of the time.

They usually have a knock out crew for last minute details and the interiors come in all at once and before you know it your serving dinner.

2 hours ago, Nole23 said:

At 500 Crawford it does. They've been working on their restaurants since I moved in 3.5 months ago and they are no where close to being done lol. 

Then again they just don't seem to be in any hurry to get them open and I haven't seen any visible progress in a month and a half... 

Since you mentioned you live at 500 Crawford (jealous btw) how is that terrace level? What does it include and can you see into MMP?

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

It seems like the Pappasitos in the Hilton Americas took a lot longer than 3 months and I seem to recall that the Pappas Steakhouse took longer than 3 months too.  But, I can't provide exact dates..... Only a feeling.

People can get a lot more done when there is a hard deadline.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

People can get a lot more done when there is a hard deadline.

^ This. The SuperBowl is the ultimate show in town and a time to showcase the city and our "new" downtown. There's no doubt in my mind all of these restaurants will be up and running by mid January.