George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

1 hour ago, nativehoustonion said:

I feel after the Superbowl visitors will see how a Global city we are and have a different view of Houston.  That empty lot we need a tall observation tower.  Why does Seattle have the Space Needle? 

I feel like this statement would have more merit if we were hosting a more world wide event. Also Seattle hosted the World's Fair. Hence Hemisphere park in San Antonio. 

Edit: I hope a cafe type place with brown bag to go options will eventually come to the area. How nice would it be to grab some delicious food and inexpensive food for a picnic in the park.... During the weekend.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

The new restaurant news is Big.  Very good to see mostly local, diverse, and unique options.  I was scared to death that we'd get national theme restaurants, like,  "Rainforest Café", "Crab Shack", or "PF Changs". Places that like to be on  I think I knew better and I do have more faith in our awesome culinary industry.  I was just afraid. 

I do hope, however, that there are some efforts to appeal more specifically to the local population and not just the captive audiences of the convention district.  My reference is Pappasito's at the Hilton.  It's more expensive and they do not participate in the Wednesday 1/2 price fajita special, which all the other locations do. If they did, I'd choose to go there much more often. 

And, yes....I do realize that Rainforest Café and Joe's Crab shack have Houston roots.  We just do soooo much better. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Did you think it would be public?  I DO hope that at some point they offer a buy in like for seasons but they may not need it.

haha not a public city pool, but charge admissions, like pools in vegas. Houston needs more party pools. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, terra002 said:

haha not a public city pool, but charge admissions, like pools in vegas. Houston needs more party pools. 

Agree. Although the ZaZa and Omni pools function like that. You can book a weekend room at the ZaZa for ~$180 and get 4 people into the pool. Also, the upcoming Aloft rooftop pool should be a good scene. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I feel like this statement would have more merit if we were hosting a more world wide event. Also Seattle hosted the World's Fair. Hence Hemisphere park in San Antonio. 

Edit: I hope a cafe type place with brown bag to go options will eventually come to the area. How nice would it be to grab some delicious food and inexpensive food for a picnic in the park.... During the weekend.

McAlister's Deli?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

13775355_10153893861768915_1105284396632

^^^ @Montrose1100 one can never go wrong with PHOENICIA SPECIALITY FOODS.

trust me, they have EVERYTHING for picnics.. and relatively inexpensive to boot....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

On 7/21/2016 at 2:08 PM, Nole23 said:

Oh wow... did anyone else notice they are cutting off the street after the underground parking garage? Didn't realize that was the plan.

9 hours ago, Triton said:

Oh wow... did anyone else notice they are cutting off the street after the underground parking garage? Didn't realize that was the plan.

Nevermind. The road connected all the way through today. Think the rendering is just a little off.

5 hours ago, Triton said:

Nevermind. The road connected all the way through today. Think the rendering is just a little off.

Actually, I think, both you and the renderings are right.  The road has supposedly been designed to allow pedestrian/function space access from the GRB to the park by closing the road below the garage.  I don't know if some kind of "curb high" staging will be used for a seamless transition (no curbs to step over) or what, but the vision is what you see in the rendering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Of course there was, but I'm curious as to why you say there wasn't. Why do you think there was no lobby?

Because there was no lobby in this location, and no single lobby for the building; only a number of entry vestibules (which were never dingy).  The interior change is indeed dramatic. But it did not change from a dingy lobby to a well-lit dramatic lobby.  It changed from exhibit hall space to a well-lit, dramatic lobby.

Edited by Houston19514

54 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Because there was no lobby in this location, and no single lobby for the building; only a number of entry vestibules (which were never dingy).  The interior change is indeed dramatic. But it did not change from a dingy lobby to a well-lit dramatic lobby.  It changed from exhibit hall space to a well-lit, dramatic lobby.

Don't you think that if the original interiors weren't so blahhh that the new wouldn't be so dramatic as it is. Maybe dingy is overkill, but it could still be applied. Don't you think? I was only inside GRB once and wasn't that impressed with the interiors, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure you have more knowledge on this then I do. Please do tell.

18 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Don't you think that if the original interiors weren't so blahhh that the new wouldn't be so dramatic as it is. Maybe dingy is overkill, but it could still be applied. Don't you think? I was only inside GRB once and wasn't that impressed with the interiors, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure you have more knowledge on this then I do. Please do tell.

Exhibit halls are generally pretty blahhh.  They are just large open spaces. This space used to be part of the exhibit halls.  Convention center lobbies, on the other hand tend to be more exciting, dramatic, impressive (choose your own adjective).  The GRB never had an entrance lobby, per se.  That's the issue they were addressing with this remodel.

Edited by Houston19514

1 minute ago, bobruss said:

I think this is going in as a popup venue for the run of the Super Bowl. This is sited on the block between Market Square and the old Chronicle 

building site of a future high rise.

No.  It's on the Polk/Hamilton/Chenevert/Clay bloc, and looks to be far more extensive than just Super Bowl popup.

• Like 2

I agree.  I thing that this is a permenant feature to support the convention business,. Likely some kind of "Texas Themed barn-like thing" for small concerts, award ceremonies, etc.. I wonder if the cladding in the drawing is the expected final cladding?  Color?  This thing could be a real eyesore.

If it is gong to be done for the Super Bowl, I can't imagine that it will be permanent.  While proper motivation does have away of changing schedules, it seems like it takes six months just to scrape off an old surface lot.

This block feels like it is off in a corner behind the barn, as it were.

I obviously need new glasses or I should have realized that I could enlarge the drawing. Your right it is on Hamilton and Polk.

So is this going to be an events venue for parties and the like for off site convention business?

10 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I obviously need new glasses or I should have realized that I could enlarge the drawing. Your right it is on Hamilton and Polk.

So is this going to be an events venue for parties and the like for off site convention business?

It's a restaurant and live music venue.  It's being done by Free Range Concepts.  You can get an idea of the types of places they do here.

Edited by Houston19514