George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

1 hour ago, astros148 said:

as a downtown resident jesus IT FELT ALIVE! Downtown has so much damn potential, Kendrick lamar murdered it yesterday.  check out the crowd for his performance

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/live-stream-kendrick-lamars-performance-at-march-madness-music-festival-new-video.37165.html

Downtown needs more events like this please!

Just wait til the SuperBowl

This lineup is better then anything the super bowl will throw. Kendrick lamar/pitbull/maroon 5/florida are a strong performance. Plus the final four crowd is much more lively then the older corporate crowd that the super bowl carters to.

Edited by astros148
  • Like 1

Yea it's been amazing. I went to the concerts on friday then ventured over to the bars on main street and people were everywhere. Once all of the hotels are complete, new apartments, it will become the norm for a vibrate downtown. Larger conventions will come to town, more retail will follow. I. Can. Not. Wait!

Re: the Kendrick Lamar performance, my mouth dropped when the cameras showed a panoramic shot of the convention district.  It was like a dream come true.  But when the crowd started jumping at the beginning of "Levitate," I literally got chills.  An amazing sight to behold.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Gator Purify said:

Re: the Kendrick Lamar performance, my mouth dropped when the cameras showed a panoramic shot of the convention district.  It was like a dream come true.  But when the crowd started jumping at the beginning of "Levitate," I literally got chills.  An amazing sight to behold.

Could you believe that Kendrick lamar or any headliner would be performing AT DISCOVERY GREEN 5 years ago. Jesus its beautiful

4 hours ago, astros148 said:

This lineup is better then anything the super bowl will throw. Kendrick lamar/pitbull/maroon 5/florida are a strong performance. Plus the final four crowd is much more lively then the older corporate crowd that the super bowl carters to.

I don't know. The Super Bowl weekend socially is far more popular with those same artists than the Final Four. There will be more parties around town and in downtown I bet for that weekend. Similar to the NBA all star weekend I would imagine.

I think they'll have to change something for Super Bowl because this weekend has shown that we've already outgrown DG for larger events like this. It was nuts Downtown and really cool... but they maxed out capacity quickly. Perhaps multiple stages around town is the solution?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, brian0123 said:

I think they'll have to change something for Super Bowl because this weekend has shown that we've already outgrown DG for larger events like this. It was nuts Downtown and really cool... but they maxed out capacity quickly. Perhaps multiple stages around town is the solution?

I say an other stage a Buffalo Bayou Park. Force people to check out that side and they will flood Montrose, etc 

21 hours ago, astros148 said:

Maybe I didn't really pay attention, but outside of 'The NFL Experience'  (and obviously, the press conferences, and the game) the NFL really didn't do anything. Maybe that's changed. It would be good if so. They could use Disco, BBP, and Hermann Park and fill each one. I'd imagine not, the NFL isn't college, they aren't in business to give things away for free, the NCAA isn't supposed to be about making lots of money. Could the city put something together, or ask some of the bigger businesses to contribute to a party? Sure.

However, the crowds for SB weekend were very crazy. Not the NFL sponsored events, but everyone that went out to main street? My friends and I spent about 6 months leading up to the event getting to know bouncers at clubs and we got into a few of them between Friday and Saturday on SB weekend, inside everywhere was packed. Getting across the street, just walking in a straight line from one side of Main to the other, took nearly 45 minutes. It was crazy. I didn't go downtown for this final 4 weekend, but I'd imagine the crowds were of a similar size.

16 hours ago, Spades said:

I don't know. The Super Bowl weekend socially is far more popular with those same artists than the Final Four. There will be more parties around town and in downtown I bet for that weekend. Similar to the NBA all star weekend I would imagine.

That entire week, and really, the previous week things will be warming up.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

I was going to post my own photos from Final Four saturday and sunday but these do the job nicely haha! man i really was so proud to be a houstonian this weekend...loved the whole experience and i love our city and really loved meeting so many people visiting that loved it as well! (thats a whole lot of love going around haha...and it was awesome!) 

• Like 3

On April 4, 2016 at 8:23 PM, brian0123 said:

I think that the way Free Press does it might be the best idea.  By using BBP for activities like this there can be multiple stages and lots of space for lots more folks to attend. I believe that many people were turned away at the gates this weekend as Disco reached capacity.  BBP can hold many more.

BBP is well positioned:. All of the parking garages and hotels in downtown are accessible by foot.  Bike lane too.  Concerts on one side of town, fanfests at GRB, bars/dining in between, and hotels/parking everywhere.

about the only thing that I heard got bad reviews this weekend was the games themselves.  Using all of NRG to watch a basketball game, I am told by several people, created a miserable fan experience.  One woman I know said that the players were so far away that she literally had a hard time seeing if a basket was scored.  The players were "so far away, I couldn't even see who was who".  She had nose bleed seats.  But she also said that they cost over $100 per ticket. 

Edited by UtterlyUrban
Typo

final 4?? More like final blade of grass.

I'd hate to watch a basketball game at NRG, but don't feel bad for the people who watched at NRG, feel bad for those that watched at the astrodome. Could you even imagine? I can, only because I went to wrestlemania there in 2001. Anyway, whether it's good place for fans or not, it's great for the NCAA, they had the highest attendance at a final game ever. that's lot's of ticket sales. We'll see the final 4 again, or at least other cities will offer their football stadiums for the event. Ha, I just had an image of this being played at jerry world. anyway, I'd not feel sorry for the attendees, location aside, they can tell everyone they know they were there for the best final basketball game in the history of the tournament and if it were in a smaller arena they'd probably have not been able to afford seats, or they'd be complaining about having to pay a scalper thousands of dollars for the tickets.

I think that because of the distance between the convention center and BBP that they will continue to use disco green. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but then they'd have to shut down Dallas on that weekend designating it for pedestrians only (perfect since it's the main street in the shopping district anyway, so as people walk they can shop on all the storefronts along dallas). and then have a stream of continuous buses going back and forth on mckinney and walker.

Edited by samagon

56 minutes ago, samagon said:

final 4?? More like final blade of grass.

I'd hate to watch a basketball game at NRG, but don't feel bad for the people who watched at NRG, feel bad for those that watched at the astrodome. Could you even imagine? I can, only because I went to wrestlemania there in 2001. Anyway, whether it's good place for fans or not, it's great for the NCAA, they had the highest attendance at a final game ever. that's lot's of ticket sales. We'll see the final 4 again, or at least other cities will offer their football stadiums for the event. Ha, I just had an image of this being played at jerry world. anyway, I'd not feel sorry for the attendees, location aside, they can tell everyone they know they were there for the best final basketball game in the history of the tournament and if it were in a smaller arena they'd probably have not been able to afford seats, or they'd be complaining about having to pay a scalper thousands of dollars for the tickets.

I think that because of the distance between the convention center and BBP that they will continue to use disco green. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but then they'd have to shut down Dallas on that weekend designating it for pedestrians only (perfect since it's the main street in the shopping district anyway, so as people walk they can shop on all the storefronts along dallas). and then have a stream of continuous buses going back and forth on mckinney and walker.

The Astrodome was host to the so called Game of the Century, which basically made college basketball what it is today. It's pretty interesting stuff, if you're not familiar with it, look it up on Wikipedia. My understanding is that NCAA final four games can only be hosted in domed stadiums, so I'm not sure how much worse NRG is than any other option. If that's the case, I would blame it on the NCAA and not NRG, or Houston.

1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

The Astrodome was host to the so called Game of the Century, which basically made college basketball what it is today. It's pretty interesting stuff, if you're not familiar with it, look it up on Wikipedia. My understanding is that NCAA final four games can only be hosted in domed stadiums, so I'm not sure how much worse NRG is than any other option. If that's the case, I would blame it on the NCAA and not NRG, or Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_of_the_Century_(chess)

how could chess possibly have such an impact on basketball?

*Spoiler text*     I kid, I kid!!!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2