George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

This is such a choice spot for a hotel, I suspect it is just a matter of time before one is built.   The energy industry is going through rough seas, but this (and much worse) has happened before.  I suspect investors are hesitant at this moment. Look at the delays on Camden, block 98, six houston center, 1600 Louisiana, etc. This has nothing to do with referendums and everything to do with return on investments. Houston is a great city and has a bright future . Just look at all the developments at and near the TMC. The energy industry will also turn around. Fret not.

• Like 2

The agenda for last week's Houston First Board of Directors meeting included this:

"Consideration and possible approval of a proposed lease between Houston First Corporation and Free Range Concepts, Inc. for a retail and entertainment concept to be located in the proximity of the George R. Brown Convention Center."

Free Range Concepts is from Dallas and has the following concepts: 

Bowl & Barrel (Dallas and San Antonio)

Mutts Canine Cantina (Dallas)

The General Public, lunch, barroom and supper (San Antonio)

The Rustic, kitchen, backyard, bar, music (Dallas)

• Like 7

^^^ really great job as always cloud713!  i have come to suspect that the newly proposed hotel that would sit atop the PARTNERSHIP TOWER, would more than likely be constructed just after the forthcoming SUPER BOWL.  they will probably require at least two years to build this hotel... and just decided to hold out a bit longer.  no one would want construction activity taking place while houston's next and much anticipated SUPER BOWL is going on downtown.... no way!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing. GRB looks so much better!!

It really does. Are those red air vents on the top actually functional, or just mere adornment? If you're going to go with a ship motif, go big or go home. Make the top look more like the deck of a real steam ship, or don't do anything at all. 

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to look more like a stylized factory not a steam ship. 

incorrect...The George RBrown Convention WAS built to resemble a ship in honor of the BrownShipping Company's contribution in WWII and for it’s generous land donation the convention center is built on.

• Like 6