George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

It's interesting that it took ~30 years for the area around the massive GRB to fit the role as an area to host people/events. When it was built, that end of DT was a wasteland. Anyone thinking of bringing conventioneers to the area had to have been discount shopping.

The whole area looks the part now.

• Like 6

I stand corrected and now know why it is so ugly. 

haha exactly!!! and hopefully that is being rectified with these renovations for the most part...

i really am liking what i see so far!!! 

cant wait to see the finished product in person 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brochures for:

The homeless encampment under the Elysian street viaduct.

A day spa featuring mud masks using authentic buffalo bayou mud.

- probably

But seriously, if they have them, I'd assume Galveston stuff, battleship Texas and San Jacinto monument, NASA, zoo, Astroworld, Water World, Splash Town, The Galleria, museums. They'd be packed, I'm sure.

Edited by samagon

The arts are a major draw to Houston. With the likes of world renowned Menil Collection and its campus including Rothko Chapel, Twombly Pavillion and Richmond Hall.

The two James Turrell works at Rice U. and The Friends of the Oak meeting house.

The MFAH, The Asia Society collection, Blaffer Gallery, Rice Gallery, Lawndale, Diverse Works and Match.

Anyone heard of the Alley Theater, Houston Symphony, Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, Hobby Center?

Or how about dining in one of the most exciting scenes in America with more quality options than almost anywhere except

New York or San Francisco.

Did anyone mention The Astros, Rockets, Texans, Dynamo, or college sports.

How about birding, Nasa, the space museum, the children museum, the Natural science Museum, weather, bicycle, Holocaust,Buffalo soldier museums.

Hike Buffalo Bayou park or Memorial park, or Herman Park and Zoo and Miller theater.

Maybe play a game of golf on one of 100 courses around the city

Maybe go tour the Texas Medical Center. The downtown tunnel system, the port of Houston.

Go ride the water taxis in the woodlands and check out the piney forests

You want to go shopping? The Galleria, The ROD, Highland Village, The Village City Centre.

Maybe a ride down to Galveston for some seafood, a walk on the beach, the strand, historic home tours.

Next time someone says there isn't much to do here think again. Houston has more than most of you give it credit for.

Soon to have  a world class botanical gardens and a great city center for New Years festivals and super bowl events around Discovery Green

• Like 6