George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

thats a great idea...some sort of marquee or jumbotron type sign that shows upcoming events (similar to the one at Toyota Center)...that would be great for both the convention center and discovery green!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gene said:

thats a great idea...some sort of marquee or jumbotron type sign that shows upcoming events (similar to the one at Toyota Center)...that would be great for both the convention center and discovery green!

Totally agree with you, it would probably even attract some more people for conventions, conferences, or whatever they got going on at the time.

• Like 1

A SIGN ZIP-TIED onto the fence around the parking lot at 1836 Polk St. is currently announcing an application by FreeRange Concepts to sell mixed drinks at the spot.  Up in Dallas, the company operates bar-slash-bowling alley Bowl & Barrel, bar-slash-dogpark Mutts Canine Cantina, restaurant-slash-music-venue The Rustic, and slashless restaurant The General Public. Houston locations of Bowl & Barrel and The General Public are currently under construction in CityCentre.

It’s unclear whether FreeRange has cast the Polk location for a sequel to one of its existing brands, or for something new. The TABC notice is posted on the full-block parking lot bounded by Jackson, Hamilton, and Bell streets just east of 59and just south of the George R. Brown Convention Center. That block has previously appeared in the convention center’s 2025 Master Plan, as a site ofpossible future expansion:

http://swamplot.com/bowling-and-dog-park-restauranteurs-look-to-serve-drinks-in-a-downtown-parking-lot/2016-04-27/

^   That would be West of 59, not east. 

And this is the plot that was the subject of Houston First's RFP last year  (Would it be too much to expect a real estate writer/journalist to be familiar with the compass and have a passing knowledge of real estate activities?  I guess so.)

Houston First Corporation (“HFC”) requests bids from experienced general contractors capable of timely and cost-effective construction of an approximate 12,000 square foot building, stage, surface parking and other facilities intended for use as an entertainment venue on a tract of land (the “Land”) located immediately south of the George R.

Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston, Texas (“Project”). Work on the Project is to expected to begin on June 1, 2016 and must be completed within 150 calendar days.

http://www.houstonfirst.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=8tywV7JojOQ%3d&tabid=373&portalid=3&mid=1174

• Like 1

On April 20, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Urbannizer said:

Houston First hopes to complete convention center renovations by October 2nd

Restaurants expected to be announced in the next 30 days

I just read this.

i thought that the work on the GRB, etc was schedule to wrap up in the spring/early summer?  Is this a 6 month over-run?

I just read this.

i thought that the work on the GRB, etc was schedule to wrap up in the spring/early summer?  Is this a 6 month over-run?

From Swamplot:

http://swamplot.com/bowling-and-dog-park-restauranteurs-look-to-serve-drinks-in-a-downtown-parking-lot/2016-04-27/

Wulfe was marketing the ground lease - I guess these guys won?

www.wulfe.com/Realister/manager/Property/Convention%20District%20Opportunities/PDF/ConventionDistrictOpportunities.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kmow this isn't suppose to be a trophy tower or anything but I was never a fan of the look.  I think it has to do with the off centered look of the terrace , to me it would have been easier to look at if the terrace stretched the whole length of the building.  It just looks awkward to be centered to the right like that.  IDK just my two cents.

Does anyone know if the renderings of the hotel that will sit up on top is a final rendering?  Could the hotel look drastically different or will it pretty much look as advertised?

Been a little over 30 days since this post.  Would be cool to hear something Monday!

• Like 2