Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

1 hour ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I don't think it takes away from the project. I do think it takes away from the street. Or the pedestrian experience of the street.

ETA: Or takes away from what could have been. I'm not saying the project in any way takes away anything from Westheimer.

yeah i get it for sure! one thing i love about Velvet Taco across the street is sitting on the street facing patio area watching the world go by! 

• Like 4

You guys hating on Arquitectonica I see… also design architects for the Hilton Americas downtown next to what would later become Discovery Green.  For those who don’t know Arquitectonica is a firm out of Miami, which, like many architects from the 1980s got their start designing Post Modern edifices that today border on the absurd and garish.

I think both @Montrose1100 & @j_cuevas713 are correct. This project will allow similarly scaled development to become more than just a passing thought to many local and out of town developers.  However, at least right now, this project appears to be the exception to the norm.  That said, is there there not interest in doing something like this just up the street at Montrose and Westheimer?  And DiscoKroger - which I realize is a tad differently having a more corporate driven renovation with Kroger’s.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arche_757 said:

You guys hating on Arquitectonica I see… also design architects for the Hilton Americas downtown next to what would later become Discovery Green.  For those who don’t know Arquitectonica is a firm out of Miami, which, like many architects from the 1980s got their start designing Post Modern edifices that today border on the absurd and garish.

I think both @Montrose1100 & @j_cuevas713 are correct. This project will allow similarly scaled development to become more than just a passing thought to many local and out of town developers.  However, at least right now, this project appears to be the exception to the norm.  That said, is there there not interest in doing something like this just up the street at Montrose and Westheimer?  And DiscoKroger - which I realize is a tad differently having a more corporate driven renovation with Kroger’s.

Arquitectonica actually used to have an office here hence their many projects here. The founder is from one of the wealthiest families in Peru which I think might have helped a little. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I remember when the Museum District townhouses they designed were going up on Milford/Graustark in the mid-80s. At the time, there was quite a bit of buzz surrounding them.

tumblr_pl34ymP4621rd2b09o1_1280.jpg

This is a really cool and interesting photo, thanks for sharing. It is weird seeing the (then late model) work vehicles present at the job site and the number on the sign without an area code.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I remember when the Museum District townhouses they designed were going up on Milford/Graustark in the mid-80s. At the time, there was quite a bit of buzz surrounding them.

Did they also design the townhouses on Hadden and McDuffie?

Edited by dbigtex56
added image
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I'm still fond of Postmodernism (which means I'm either way behind or way ahead of the times). 

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I'm still fond of Postmodernism (which means I'm either way behind or way ahead of the times). 

I suspect Postmodernism is stuck in that uncomfortable place - too old to be stylish, yet too new to seem quaint and charming. Probably in a few years it will begin to start to be appreciated more.

• Like 6

I think that's happening already, but I also think it will always have some of the same problems as Brutalism - strongly appreciated by a few, but generally seen as tasteless and unpleasant by more. Also, just like with brutalism, bad postmodernism is really, really bad. And there's a lot of it. 

And just to clarify - I like brutalism, even most of the more mediocre examples, but bad brutalism can be genuinely unpleasant. 

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

This is a really cool and interesting photo, thanks for sharing. It is weird seeing the (then late model) work vehicles present at the job site and the number on the sign without an area code.

I thought the same thing with the area code lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so just over a week ago i went on a cruise, then this past weekend i went to my buddies ranch...so finally after a couple of weeks i was able to drive by this last night and i was blown away with how quickly it now looks almost finished and ready to open and man it is beauuuuuuuutiful!!! (especially at night with all the lighting etc)

cannot wait to see this amazing place filled and bustling with people and activity!!! 

A+++

Edited by gene
  • Like 6

On 8/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, cityliving said:

Are those lines crisscrossing the white part of the building going to be put in? I don't see them on the building yet? you would think that they would of been done by now?

qN7qf8S.jpg

That is just paint and will probably be done last. If a local artist isn't brought in instead.

• Like 2

As this development finalizes, a random thought about this part of Montrose. That gas station a block away is increasingly growing out of place. So what is the solution? I saw this in DC and wonder when we might start seeing it Houston. Given the density and land value in Montrose I imagine it can be far off. 

image.png.00336be96e128849767c07ae7209b825.png

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

As this development finalizes, a random thought about this part of Montrose. That gas station a block away is increasingly growing out of place. So what is the solution? I saw this in DC and wonder when we might start seeing it Houston. Given the density and land value in Montrose I imagine it can be far off. 

I’m into it. We need to be creative. I wish gas stations were more pleasant in Houston.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, urbanize713 said:

LOL i know exactly where this gas station is in DC. In fact, I’ve stayed in that building many times years ago (used to be the Renaissance hotel, not sure what it is now). Fantastic Indian restaurant called Rasika is directly across the street. Apparently it was Bill Clinton’s favorite in town.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 3