Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

5 hours ago, Response said:

Can you believe that we actually once lived like THIS!! 🤮 WJGJj9D.jpg

Never forget where you came from, but YUCK! 

CBW6bJB.jpg

Welcome to fabulousness, Houston! One block at a time.

I miss the old strip center 🥱🥱🥱

Lol jk 😏

• Like 3

On 5/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, jmitch94 said:

The silvery black of these bricks remind me of the weathered cedar shingled houses of the north east. 

If you want to use it yourself it’s the Manganese Ironspot brick from Cloud Ceramics. Fairly cost competitive vs boring red brick. 

• Like 7

Are there any plans to widen Westheimer from Bagby/Brazos to Montrose?

I feel like there are doing so much building and cleaning up...but the 4 lanes are so narrow.

Edited by Pumapayam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pumapayam said:

I feel like there are doing so much building and cleaning up...but the 4 lanes are so narrow.

There is no way to widen lower Westheimer without taking out sidewalks, I doubt that's going to happen. Repaving would make a big difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pumapayam said:

I think the latest plans were to make it two lane with a turning lane and cutouts for bus stops.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Pumapayam said:

I, in turn, still think it is too wide. Make it a one lane road and make the sidewalks wider, add a bike lane, and plant more trees

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I think the latest plans were to make it two lane with a turning lane and cutouts for bus stops.

Adding a streetcar and using the outside lanes to widen sidewalks is my dream.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, cityliving said:

Houston Public Library-Montrose Branch building under construction-Steel going up.

QFY6bsb.jpgBVtAvJq.jpg

That’s the kind of density I like to see! Just curious, how was this approved if each business on this block needs a certain amount of parking due to parking mins? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That’s the kind of density I like to see! Just curious, how was this approved if each business on this block needs a certain amount of parking due to parking mins? 

Shared parking with the development across the street

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

Shared parking with the development across the street

This is correct. Shared parking with the main building across the street. Office daytime use is balanced out with nighttime and weekend restaurant and retail uses. Fairly standard practice in mixed use developments. 

• Like 2

In theory, could the Burger Joint and Aladdin work out a deal to share parking with the new development as well?  That small shared parking lot off of Montrose is always a cluster.....it would be great to see it repurposed for to-go orders only and/or some expanded patio for both restaurants.

• Like 2

I love that retail will be coming.

Let me also go out on a limb.........I believe “drawing” in customers is a high priority to success. Besides the myth of Montrose acting as a magnetic of sorts; I have my own “pie in the sky” solutions to bring in more people.

Why not have small  unleased spaces  have a courtesy display ( developers waive rents) of  artifacts about “what things were before”— maybe the artifacts from Mary’s. Or maybe COH historical artifacts? Perhaps the “M” statue ?  Change displays ever 2 months are so.....pack all up if space gets leased.....move to new courtesy space....draw more people....repeat. 
if successful, try small experiment in empty downtown spaces?

An example : These plaques ( somewhere archived at COH) explaining the Obedience Smith land grant.

I’m not sure what costs implement a program like that but perhaps TIRZ, COH, Civic clubs and Grants could defray costs.

C2619D2F-EF7C-4E10-81D4-DE5C917393E5.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1