Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Montrose Collective’s flagship tenant, Live Nation, is certainly in some hot water after Friday’s tragedy at the Astroworld festival...

I have no idea how they'll make it out of this one but from what I've heard, they have a track record of violations. What happened this past weekend is truly one of the most tragic events in this city. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Since these festivals are so common and usually go off without a hitch, I really feel like for the most part it is no ones fault except those that promoted the surge (whoever that may be...) and those that did so. I think there was probably no way that anyone, security or otherwise, could have prevented this tragedy and it is so sad and horrible for sure. I tend to think that these crowded festivals can be problematic and wonder if there is going to be a time where they will have assigned sections or barriers or similar as that is the only way i can think of that these can continue without things like this happening... anyone else have thoughts or ideas how we can still have these festivals safely? I definitely enjoy ACL, Freaky Deaky, etc so hope these can continue...

One note...i have only experienced something like this on a lesser level...i used to regularly go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and have been trapped a few times in the crowd surge on Burbon Street...its like a giant wave and you have absolutely no control over which way you are forced to lean or fall etc... so i know how scary that can be and can only image what these concert goers experienced....scary stuff for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2021/12/22/416147/congressional-panel-investigates-deadly-astroworld-concert/?fbclid=IwAR05q9R3iqOZbLIvHYt3Y2i6gD9C_YzqiEZyPPQwlgX0ql2cYp-39mPmkYo 

Looks like we may be talking about another tenant leasing out Live Nation’s space pretty soon. I wonder how this will affect their new music venue in POST

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I scrolled through the posts from 2020 to the present and couldn't locate any mention of the potential retailers in one of the early marketing brochures for Montrose Collective. The only post I found included a few (like Van Leeuwen, La La Land, and a few others), but it didn't list all the prospective tenants listed.

In the earlier marketing brochures, Barcelona Wine Bar and Bartaco were listed as businesses interested in opening at Montrose Collective. Both restaurants were removed from later brochures.

However, last week I came across a LLC for Barcelona Montrose LLC. It's tied to the restaurant group operating other Barcelona and Bartaco locations. Does anyone know if Barcelona has signed on to open at Montrose Collective after all? Or will this open elsewhere in the Montrose area (that's not part of the Montrose Collective mixed-use)?

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:03 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Unlike the previous site plans, the most recent retail brochure includes an updated site plan listing tenants and prospective tenants.

Food & beverage tenants 

• Uchi 

• Idle Hands

• Van Leeuwen (leased)

• La La Land (leased)

• Marmo (leased)

• Graffiti (leased)

• Chelsea Oyster Bar (leased)

• Picnik (leased)

• TBA bottle shop (in lease)

Retail tenants

• Reformation (leased)

• State & Liberty (leased)

• Eye Elegance (leased)

• TBA sustainable food wear shop (in lease)

• Amano (leased)

• Buck Mason (leased)

• TBA jewelry shop (leased)

• TBA jewelry shop (in lease)

• TBA women's apparel store (letter of intent)

• TBA men's apparel store (letter of intent)

• TBA athleisure store (letter of intent)

Services

• Hue Salon (leased, relocating)

• Sunluxe Tanning (leased)

• TBA nail salon (letter of intent)

• TBA med spa (in lease)

• Bayou City Smiles (leased)

• Ivirma (leased)

• Solidcore (leased)

The med spa may be Sisu. It's listed as a tenant in the most recent brochure.

Possible tenants and/or businesses interested in Montrose Collective according to the most recent retail leasing brochure:

• Ganni (women's apparel)

• Rowan (men's apparel)

• Scotch & Soda (clothing store)

• Rothy's (sustainable shoe & bag store)

• Gorjana (jewelry store)

• Mejuri (jewelry store)

• Vuori (athleisure & activewear apparel)

• Rhone (men's fitness & activewear apparel)

And another possible retail tenant according to entity filings:

• Glosslab (nail salon)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, Urbannizer said:

Phase II (Montrose Collective Southwest) planned for the west side of Grant St.

SubdivisionPlatPDF_20210823-PLAT-MONTROSE COLLECTIVE SOUTHWEST.54113.pdf 576.42 kB · 90 downloads

On 8/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, dbigtex56 said:

What does this portend?
If I understand correctly, it has been replatted to make Uchi and the other building east of Aladdin part of a single reserve.
Will this allow for the construction of another large building (and the demolition of the current ones)?

On 9/13/2021 at 2:09 PM, wilcal said:

Thought I would post here first in case I'm missing something, but Uchi/Hue Salon/Rosemont re-platted to Unrestricted by a "Montrose Collective Southwest" by Radom. 

Did I miss something? They bought it 2 years ago, but I thought Uchi was staying. 

FkwVPEV.png

On 8/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, architeckton said:

It’s not being torn down or replaced. It’s major improvements to where the other businesses were previously. A facelift of sorts. I’m addition, the new plat is filed for change of ownership and consolidation of previous lots. 

On 10/16/2021 at 8:31 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

@architecktont is correct regarding the Montrose Collective Southwest plat or phase two. A rendering of the proposed renovations to the collection of buildings that include Uchi and soon-to-open Idle Hands was included in the latest Montrose Collective leasing brochure. It's located on page 14 - really small and easy to miss.

https://8e87c62f-5dfb-40b9-a567-3b15184f7b32.filesusr.com/ugd/8bb064_942fedd587d24cf6b5713e385ad1bd87.pdf

Here is the visual from the brochure to get a better idea of what the renovations may entail.

zXFGnSX.jpg

The most recent retail brochure for Montrose Collective includes an updated rendering of 906 Westheimer, showing a glimpse of how the facade renovation may look once completed.

There is also a site plan for that portion and of Montrose Collective.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

A restaurant named ,  Graffiti………hmmmmmmmmm

I was wondering if there was a connection to the Graffiti that used to be on Fairview and Taft?

No. The restaurant named Graffiti is not connected to the shuttered Montrose restaurant Gratifi (pronounced "gratify"). It's also not connected to the long gone Graffiti's on Union St from Piper Hospitality (off Washington Ave).

As I commented above, Graffiti, which is opening at Montrose Collective, is a new restaurant concept from Clark Cooper Concepts.

👇👇

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I saw this a few days ago too. Unlike most of the food and beverage tenants so far at Montrose Collective, Graffiti ( 1001 California St, Suite B-101) is local. This is a new restaurant concept from Clark Cooper Concepts, I believe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Unlike the previous site plans, the most recent retail brochure includes an updated site plan listing tenants and prospective tenants.

Food & beverage tenants 

• Uchi 

• Idle Hands

• Van Leeuwen (leased)

• La La Land (leased)

• Marmo (leased)

• Graffiti (leased)

• Chelsea Oyster Bar (leased)

• Picnik (leased)

• TBA bottle shop (in lease)

Retail tenants

• Reformation (leased)

• State & Liberty (leased)

• Eye Elegance (leased)

• TBA sustainable food wear shop (in lease)

• Amano (leased)

• Buck Mason (leased)

• TBA jewelry shop (leased)

• TBA men's apparel store (letter of intent)

• TBA athleisure store (letter of intent)

Services

• Hue Salon (leased)

• Sunluxe Tanning (leased)

• TBA nail salon (letter of intent)

• TBA med spa (in lease)

• Bayou City Smiles (leased)

• Ivirma (leased)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have many of these tenants opened shop yet? A friend and I had dinner in Montrose when I was in town last week and I went by to see this, my first time since it's been built. We were both pretty impressed - my friend is not normally into architecture and had never been to Montrose before (lives in Sugarland) but sat down in one of the chairs on the patio and just took it in. The live oaks along Grant are fantastic. Only drawback was that the place was completely dead. When we walked back to Westheimer and were looking around at the shops along the street, he commented, "This place is like mini-Austin." Which I thought was funny but a little annoying, since I'm pretty sure Westheimer was what it is before Austin became what it is.

Everything along Westheimer east of the Montrose Blvd intersection looked pretty great, but when you look west across the intersection, the momentum all dies. Can't wait to see what Skanska has planned for the empty lot. This needs to be one of Houston's handful of walkable neighborhoods. Hardly any human life visible outside, although it was Sunday night so not the best time. The gas station at the northwest corner is a real shame but if everything else starts going vertical, maybe it goes away before long. The McDonald's at the corner of Yoakum is also unfortunate, I didn't remember it there. Ate at Acme Oyster House and it was fairly good but overpriced.

Honestly when we turned onto Shepherd from 59, that street hit me with "This is Houston and it is great," so much eclectic density. Westheimer east of Shepherd seemed less exciting, kind of listless. Just an impression though.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Westheimer east of Shepherd seemed less exciting, kind of listless. Just an impression though.

A correct impression, IMO. 
The conditions that make Austin's South Congress Ave such fun also made Lower Westheimer a destination back in the day .
Unfortunately, unsympathetic development has eroded Westheimer's  density over the years. Every chain restaurant (I'm looking at you, Raising Cane's and McDonalds), every strip mall with parking in front, every vacant lot serves as a disincentive for pedestrians. 
I hope that future development can help sew the fabric of the street back together (and that Skanska doesn't take forever to start moving dirt).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

A correct impression, IMO. 
The conditions that make Austin's South Congress Ave such fun also made Lower Westheimer a destination back in the day .
Unfortunately, unsympathetic development has eroded Westheimer's  density over the years. Every chain restaurant (I'm looking at you, Raising Cane's and McDonalds), every strip mall with parking in front, every vacant lot serves as a disincentive for pedestrians. 
I hope that future development can help sew the fabric of the street back together (and that Skanska doesn't take forever to start moving dirt).

That's too bad. I remember driving down this section of Westheimer (west of Montrose Blvd) in the past and it was always quite interesting. I once had a visitor with me say, "This is the real Houston." This time as I drove east from Shepherd, just as I started to say "Okay, here's where it gets good," I saw the McDonald's and my heart sank.

Edit - it looks like a McDonald's was always there, it was just rebuilt. Same with a couple of the other strip centers. Overall a lot of lateral moves in terms of density and walkability, except of course for MC.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2