Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

Random has been such a good neighbor to protect those historic bricks along Crocker; wonder if they could get recognition from COH. Does COH or Historical COH committee ever place signage to recognize efforts like that inside Historic designated areas? 
…….who knows, but that signage might influence other developers….? Other historic brick streets could be saved…..? Maybe “ tourists” come to see historic brick streets…..?  More tourists might spend more money at nearby bars and restaurants…?More money spent might mean quicker recovery from covid shutdown…?

uh-oh

i think I got stuck in my “ pie-in-the-sky” reveries again………sigh.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

i think I got stuck in my “ pie-in-the-sky” reveries again……

Save a slice for me. They're delish. 
And I agree, that there are unsung heroes who deserve as much (or more) recognition as the flashy developers.

5 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Random has been such a good neighbor to protect those historic bricks along Crocker; wonder if they could get recognition from COH. Does COH or Historical COH committee ever place signage to recognize efforts like that inside Historic designated areas? 
…….who knows, but that signage might influence other developers….? Other historic brick streets could be saved…..? Maybe “ tourists” come to see historic brick streets…..?  More tourists might spend more money at nearby bars and restaurants…?More money spent might mean quicker recovery from covid shutdown…?

uh-oh

i think I got stuck in my “ pie-in-the-sky” reveries again………sigh.

I remember 40 years ago, maybe more, residents on Indiana and/or Michigan and/or Maryland Streets made the local news when they took shovels and scraped off all the asphalt that COH had just laid over their brick-paved streets. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7487117,-95.3985608,3a,60y,58.7h,84.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRwGpj2FDMq3Q9meaFuLBMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, architeckton said:

This was designed without having to comply with the TOD and Walkable Places overlay. These were conscious decisions from Radom Capital, Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, and OJB Landscape Architects. 

Yeah I couldn't remember if this had been approved before or after the ordinance has changed.

Will there be trees along Westheimer? That would be very awesome cuz for a corridor that is in such a cool part of town, it would nice to emphasize the "cool" aspect of it and get some trees in along that street to bring the temp down a bit while walking. 🤫

• Like 4

On 7/11/2021 at 12:52 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

This one project is going to change development in this city. There is a new standard for the typical “Houston shopping center.” And pardon my French but it’s developments like this that make other businesses around that have been slacking for a while finally get their $hi* together and clean up their property. Not to rant, but there is def a snowball effect from good quality aesthetically pleasing development affecting a neighborhood in a positive way.

I'm sure someone said the same thing about 5959 Richmond Ave back in the day.

This project is the exception rather than the rule. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I think that development was the exception and not the rule for that time because Houston didn't care about walkable development

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Maybe the ugliest building in Houston, it haunted me as a child when I would roll through to get some middle eastern food. I'm glad that turned out to be the exception, lmao. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Maybe the ugliest building in Houston, it haunted me as a child when I would roll through to get some middle eastern food. I'm glad that turned out to be the exception, lmao. 

I would take a thousand of these over 1200 Post Oak, The Mercer, The Titan, or the Harris County Civil Courthouse.

Anyway, point I was trying to make is 5959 Richmond was also a cutting edge retail/office/mixed use design (I think it's a good period piece). That it would change the way retail/strip centers were done going forward in Houston. It didn't. This won't either. It's an exceptional development, but will not set any guidelines for other future retail projects in this city. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I would take a thousand of these over 1200 Post Oak, The Mercer, The Titan, or the Harris County Civil Courthouse.

Anyway, point I was trying to make is 5959 Richmond was also a cutting edge retail/office/mixed use design (I think it's a good period piece). That it would change the way retail/strip centers were done going forward in Houston. It didn't. This won't either. It's an exceptional development, but will not set any guidelines for other future retail projects in this city. 

I think you're taking my quote that Montrose Collective could change every shopping center in Houston a little too literal. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is it's def set a standard for what is possible in Houston and specifically Montrose. 5959 Richmond was built during a time when the suburban dream was everything and nobody dared to actually LIVE in Houston. People drove everywhere in Houston. Now people are moving back to the city, even after the pandemic. 5959 Richmond was a bit ahead of it's time. If you threw that same shopping center in the middle of Montrose, people would use it as the design was intended. You're seeing way more Houstonians walking and embracing their city more than ever. Look at the designs for East River, anything Ancorian touches, the Triden development, MKT Market... all similar aesthetics for shopping destinations. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

From today's Houston Chronicle.....

Idle Hands leased 4,711 square feet at the former Rosemont bar location at Montrose Collective, 910 Westheimer, for a Houston location. The development is a project by Radom Capital and was represented by Brittney Austin and Linda Rubiola of Shop Cos. Hannah Tosch, Wade Greene and Chris Nash of Colliers represented the tenant. Idle Hands, also in Austin, is a partnership of Matt Wolski and Andrew Hunter. The Montrose location will provide tropical craft cocktails, a full kitchen with roof deck/patio seating and live music upon opening this fall, according to Colliers.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, hindesky said:

From today's Houston Chronicle.....

Idle Hands leased 4,711 square feet at the former Rosemont bar location at Montrose Collective, 910 Westheimer, for a Houston location. The development is a project by Radom Capital and was represented by Brittney Austin and Linda Rubiola of Shop Cos. Hannah Tosch, Wade Greene and Chris Nash of Colliers represented the tenant. Idle Hands, also in Austin, is a partnership of Matt Wolski and Andrew Hunter. The Montrose location will provide tropical craft cocktails, a full kitchen with roof deck/patio seating and live music upon opening this fall, according to Colliers.

uh...yes please...haha! (love this movie!) 

Idle Hands

• Like 6

I would have preferred if Montrose Collective had been set back from Westheimer the way this project in Austin is going to be. A friend who lives just blocks from MC says he believes Radom wants most pedestrian activity to be on the sides and not on Westheimer.

Maybe someday Westheimer will be shrunk to just one lane each way and the sidewalks will be much wider. Maybe transit and pedestrians will someday be the top priority!!! MAYBE HOUSTON WILL BECOME THE SOPHISTICATED URBAN CENTER WE ALL KNOW IT COULD BE!!!!   NAAAHHHH!!!!!

Austin-TX.jpg

• Like 3

I think it just depends on the kind of space they are trying to create...vibrant and lively main street facing or peaceful tranquil side street facing...with Westheimer being so busy i guess they may have made their choice dependent on that. 

who knows! but i am good with either and don't think side street facing in this case takes away from the project at all.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, gene said:

don't think side street facing in this case takes away from the project at all.

I don't think it takes away from the project. I do think it takes away from the street. Or the pedestrian experience of the street.

ETA: Or takes away from what could have been. I'm not saying the project in any way takes away anything from Westheimer.

• Like 3