Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

Oh ok. I thought they used scaffolding to install the bricks?

What you are looking at is a "Mast Climber" in the construction world it is a form of scaffolding but obviously very different from what you see on the other elevations.  Typically used on taller structures, not really sure why they are using one here.

SafRise® Mast Climbers | Hoists and Lifts (brandsafway.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, tangledwoods said:

What you are looking at is a "Mast Climber" in the construction world it is a form of scaffolding but obviously very different from what you see on the other elevations.  Typically used on taller structures, not really sure why they are using one here.

SafRise® Mast Climbers | Hoists and Lifts (brandsafway.com)

Complicated brick laying pattern here. Plus there is only brick on that stair tower so it doesn’t make sense to put scaffolding on the whole Crocker facade. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I ate at Burger Joint Saturday and saw this for the first time in person. Having lived near there for 5 years and spending a lot of time at this intersection, I really love how this project fits into the neighborhood. I think they did a great good of building a midrise that really doesn't feel like it is taking over the area.

It's by far my favorite under-construction project in the entire city for that reason, among others :)

Edited by HouTXRanger
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, Texasota said:

I think it's the beige. Theres something almost... bandaid-like about it.

If it were a nice, vibrant color I think it would look a lot better. 

@Texasotai will STILL never forgive you for that comment...i CANNOT unsee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl8HjKf6gLLKdwelS-nhubE_nz2G7s7JQkDZQpObs0nIBO7cpOUeuKPOZ4OAKvC4RPkRRUNlGE&usqp=CAc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could fill a few blocks downtown with developments like this. Similar design/materials, multiple small buildings 3/5 stories with retail/office/residential. It would really help tie some areas in nicely and create some synergy. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

Green Street needed a residential component. This benefits from being surrounded by houses. And hopefully lots of residential at the old Tower Community/Shopping Center site.

Also, having a Houston Public Library integrated into the design practically guarantees that this won't be a ghost development.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

does the name Green Street ring a bell? It flopped. Not even the new offices will help. (now that I no longer work in that building I can talk all the flurf and truth bomb all I want)

That's not even on the same level as Montrose Collective. The design isn't comparable either. 

• Like 1

Grant St is a clusterf..k with traffic. I saw a bobtail truck loaded with pipe on the north side trying to get on it to get unloaded and an 18 wheeler with black brick on the south side trying to get in and unloaded.  2 personal vehicles trying to weave their way around all this. I don't know why they don't just shut it off to any vehicles not related to the project at California St and on Montrose. I guess people got to get their lattes and sushi no matter what. It's like a Frogger game over here.

dz34lIB.jpg

2xSJCBc.jpg

87smqLx.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, hindesky said:

I guess people got to get their lattes and sushi no matter what. It's like a Frogger game over here.

Heaven forfend that they leave their ultimate driving machines at home and walk a couple of blocks.
But in the New Montrose, it seems that actual pedestrians in a walkable neighborhood are viewed with contempt and suspicion. 

• Like 2