sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I've seen the master plan and there are multiple towers. 

The economy literally is in free fall, we are lucky things aren't paralyzed at this point across town.

Really? How many towers? What are the heights?

We need details!

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, iah77 said:

I've seen the master plan and there are multiple towers. 

The economy literally is in free fall, we are lucky things aren't paralyzed at this point across town.

I agree. But as for the details. Are we talking, Ro, Regency Square, East River. Please give us an idea of how many and how high. Thank you.

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 4

This project, is a testament to what I've said in other threads where people cry value-engineering or the fact this is Houston, and we can't have nice things are wrong, and superficial explanations at best. Architects are really important. In an economic climate such as this, the posers will fold, but the actual creative and innovative ones will pull through. OMA is one of the best because they don't fold, and they press on. This really got going during this the time the economy was going into the gutter and they could have easily cut a lot of things especially this set piece type stairways. Oh just make a regular stair, its a stair who cares. That could have been the case, but it's clear the Architect on this job has found ways to work around it and keep their promises in what they have proposed. Maybe not everything will turn out exactly as they wished given the current constraints, but at the very least they are giving it a shot, and will keep the biggest of promises they made which were some very beautiful stairway spaces, and cool rooftop garden. If they can pull those things off then this will be a success.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tigereye said:

Lovett has released more details. The rooftop will be branded as the Skylawn and will feature a 6,000 sq ft outdoor event venue accommodating up to 300 guests. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/08/12/lovett-commercial-post-houston-skylawn.html

Sarnoff’s piece on this mentions Post also containing a concert venue and a hotel. Is this in the first phase currently under construction or is she referring to future phases? What is being down with the 5 story administration building on site? 

Houston-based Lovett purchased the 16-acre site, formerly the Barbara Jordan Post Office, in 2015 and is remaking the space into a coworking, shopping and culinary destination with a concert venue, hotel and rooftop farm called POST Houston.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Downtown-venue-to-open-on-five-acre-rooftop-park-15481162.php

EDIT: Looking at the renders, the concert venue is in the northeast corner and takes up the first 2 levels. There appears to be balconies overlooking the event floor and stage area. I take it the Skylawn event space will be on the rooftop above the concert venue. 

Not sure where a hotel goes in (unless it’s in the administration building or being built as a separate addition in a later phase. 

POST-Houston-Diagram-300x450.jpg

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

It’s crazy how hard it is to find a wedding spot with a skyline view, so this will be very popular with weddings 

The Castillo Community Center on White Oak Bayou can be rented for weddings. Not a comparable venue of course, but it does have some pretty grandiose views of DT, and it is likely to be much kinder to people's pockets.

• Like 1

honestly i am just so excited to see this lot landscaped when done...pleeeeease let them have lots of greenery....

i always hated going to this post office unless it was for Day For Night of course ;) 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

i'm more amazed by the rooftop pool at 110 Milam.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/5134-110-milam/

anyone have any photos of inside that house?  it looks incredible!

I've always been intrigued by that building and was likewise surprised to discover there was a pool on the roof. I've often thought it would be a cool place to live, except for the fact that given the building's proximity to the bayou and where its parking area is, it would get old losing your car(s) during the increasingly frequent flooding events that have afflicted the area over the past 20 years. 

• Like 3

There's a couple of unusual residences downtown.  The office building next to Houston House is actually just a large house; there's a block-sized warehouse in East Downtown that one couple lives in.  I'm sure there's more that I haven't discovered yet

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, cspwal said:

There's a couple of unusual residences downtown.  The office building next to Houston House is actually just a large house; there's a block-sized warehouse in East Downtown that one couple lives in.  I'm sure there's more that I haven't discovered yet

National Cash Register Building is pretty cool.

• Like 9