sevfiv

3 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

The website I sent sure does.  The peak was in the 20K range, from 2015-2019.  Stats go back to 2005.

Does this mean you spoke with people who took it who described the ridership as "enthusiastic"?  So your anecdotal sample was comprised of a set of only people who rode the train?  What exactly is meant by "enthusiastic ridership"?  Hobbyists?

Calm down, Festus.  Yes, I saw the web site you linked to has numbers going back to 2005.  That's the year Katrina hit.  Having statistics for 2000 to 2004 would make for a more useful comparison, since the tracks were gone for four months of 2005.

The people I spoke with were on the train and spoke about how they, and people they knew, used Amtrak east of Houston.  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An architectural barriers project filing for Post Houston was registered yesterday with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The filing is for an unnamed immersive art museum.

Post Houston is located at 401 Franklin St.

Below are details from the filing:

• Estimated Start Date: June 21, 2024

• Estimated Completion Date: October 25, 2024

• Estimated Cost:  $850,000

• Type of Work: Renovation/alteration

• Scope of Work: A 28,500 sf remodel, of an existing retail space into a new, full sprinklered assembly space with no site improvements. Change of occupancy from Group R to Group A of the remodel portion of this project

• Square Footage: 28,500 sf

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2024015102

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, goofy said:

Are these immersive art museums for children? I can’t imagine the point. We have world class art just a streetcar ride away!

These types of installations are for all ages and imo are pretty cool. There’s one in Tokyo that has many interactive experiences and definitely worth the price of admission.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I am of the opinion that a satellite gallery for the MFAH would be a wonderful addition to downtown close to Discovery Green Convention center area. Perhaps it could be a shared space between the CAM, MFAH, The Craft Museum and the Menil. They could alternate exhibitions. It would be a great place for the Museums to expand their audiences. Give visitors an opportunity to see an exhibition close to their lodgings or downtown workers to go during their lunch break. 

That's a great idea.

26 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I am of the opinion that a satellite gallery for the MFAH would be a wonderful addition to downtown close to Discovery Green Convention center area. Perhaps it could be a shared space between the CAM, MFAH, The Craft Museum and the Menil. They could alternate exhibitions. It would be a great place for the Museums to expand their audiences. Give visitors an opportunity to see an exhibition close to their lodgings or downtown workers to go during their lunch break. 

That’s a swell idea, but I’m not aware of any museums that do this.  I suppose it is cost prohibitive from a security standpoint.  No doubt museums want their masterpieces where they can be safeguarded.  The Dallas Museum of Art was vandalized recently.  The intruder just busted the glass door and destroyed some works of art!

Your idea could work for “starving artist” exhibits?

If they can build a museum like The Kinder, or CAM, or Menil, which I haven't read being broken into, I'm sure they could invest and build  a secure and well guarded satellite site downtown. A new civic building on the East side of downtown would be a boon to the area. Promote the area as a destination for east side residents. Spread the arts out a little more. I know the Menil and The MFAH, have thousands of works that rarely get seen due to the size of the collections. Perhaps it would be a joint project between all four, the arts alliance and the state arts commission, might help support. The city might even help fund in some way. I don't have all of the answers, but I do know that it would be another option for short term visitors to do something different downtown. Look at what the Guggenheim has done around the world. Bilbao, Abu Dhabi to name a couple. And who says Houston couldn't be a trend setter. Many major metropolitan areas  Museums are downtown. Chicago, New York, Cleveland, San Francisco, Paris. to name a few. Never say never and always think positive. It would act as an intro to many, of some of the wonderful things to do in Houston. 

• Like 7

When I was younger, the group that I played with was asked by the Houston Ballet to write and perform the first full length rock Ballet in America. It was Caliban, based on Shakepeare's Tempest. This was in the 70's and it was quite an amazing event. We played on stage with the ballet at Jones Hall for a week of sold out performances. Through the time we spent rehearsing with the ballet, I developed a real admiration for their skills, artistic talents and the beauty of dance. I wanted to create a work that would have been performed on the roof of one of the more centrally located buildings, one that had the best sight lines and space for a live performance. I thought it would be great to present this at a time that would be most successful for viewing. Unfortunately it never happened but I still thought this would be a unique and special event. So yes, office buildings offer a blank canvas for art.

44 minutes ago, goofy said:

Or like a sleep-no-more style performance piece in an empty office building. 

Edited by bobruss
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, steve1363 said:

That’s a swell idea, but I’m not aware of any museums that do this.  I suppose it is cost prohibitive from a security standpoint.  No doubt museums want their masterpieces where they can be safeguarded.  The Dallas Museum of Art was vandalized recently.  The intruder just busted the glass door and destroyed some works of art!

Your idea could work for “starving artist” exhibits?

maybe if it's an extension of the modern art museum? 

is anyone going to vandalize a rope that's been rolled up, painted bright yellow, and called "coiled".

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, samagon said:

is anyone going to vandalize a rope that's been rolled up, painted bright yellow, and called "coiled".

I have a polypropylene tow rope that is bright yellow as it came from the store. It was also coiled up in a clear plastic bag. Someone wasted effort. 😃