sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, I believe design is very much underway.  There's not  really any reason  to think it won't happen.

People have been talking about this since, what, the 40s? I'll believe its underway when there's a gigantic ditch in the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big E said:

People have been talking about this since, what, the 40s? I'll believe its underway when there's a gigantic ditch in the ground.

They redirected Buffalo Bayou to go around the Police Officers Memorial, so a project like this isn’t unprecedented, although in this case they’ll have to go though devolved land and city infrastructure to make it happen. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

They redirected Buffalo Bayou to go around the Police Officers Memorial, so a project like this isn’t unprecedented, although in this case they’ll have to go though devolved land and city infrastructure to make it happen. 

They also straightened the Bayou East of Downtown where Turkey Bend used to be. Just East of where Lockwood goes over the bayou.

4 hours ago, Sunstar said:

That bend in Buffalo Bayou around the Police Officers' Memorial has been there since before the memorial was built. It's present in a 1915 topographic map. They recently did some channel work there, but the bayou wasn't redirected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Ross said:

They also straightened the Bayou East of Downtown where Turkey Bend used to be. Just East of where Lockwood goes over the bayou.

maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but there's fewer photos of this than of freeway construction.

in maps from 1950 the bend was there, with no bypass. in historic aerials from 1953 (as old as they show), it's there, but looks rather fresh.

we seem to take easy access to cameras for granted these days, but it sure is nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samagon said:

maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but there's fewer photos of this than of freeway construction.

in maps from 1950 the bend was there, with no bypass. in historic aerials from 1953 (as old as they show), it's there, but looks rather fresh.

we seem to take easy access to cameras for granted these days, but it sure is nice.

I did some searches for Turkey Bend, and a number of Corps of Engineers reports showed up from Google books. Otherwise, crickets. Must not have been a big deal when it happened.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ross said:

I did some searches for Turkey Bend, and a number of Corps of Engineers reports showed up from Google books. Otherwise, crickets. Must not have been a big deal when it happened.

Work was authorized by a House Public Works Committee resolution on Feb. 17,  1950

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That sounds amazing!!! I am excited to have another awesome music venue in Houston!

I am hoping my best friends band plays there and no doubt they eventually will! Which btw, they play tonight at White Music Hall Lawn! www.blueoctober.com *(always happy to plug my best friend of 26 years and his band! haha!) 

and ps...bring back Day For Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was such an incredible experience!!!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

That sounds amazing!!! I am excited to have another awesome music venue in Houston!

I am hoping my best friends band plays there and no doubt they eventually will! Which btw, they play tonight at White Music Hall Lawn! www.blueoctober.com *(always happy to plug my best friend of 26 years and his band! haha!) 

and ps...bring back Day For Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was such an incredible experience!!!

My uncle new a guy that was in the band for a while. CB Hudson

• Like 1

Just now, SMU1213 said:

My uncle new a guy that was in the band for a while. CB Hudson

heck yeah, CB is an amazing person!!! love him and his whole family...in fact he co-owns a multi million dollar recording studio called Orb Studios in austin with my other best friend Matt of 22 years who is the bassist for Blue October! Justin Bieber, Skrillex, Usher, Pentatonix, Tanya Tucker and tons more have all recorded there! CB is doing amazing and so proud of him.

6 hours ago, gene said:

looking at the rooftop amenities, it would be a whole 'nother level of experience. 

I have no hope of it ever coming back though.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Triton said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/07/14/post-houston-food-hall-vendors.html

Unable to read it but it sounds like Blendin coffee and a few others are coming to Post now.

This CultureMap article has all the vendors.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-14-21-post-houston-food-hall-downtown-vendors-golfstrommen-seafood-market-saison-cellar-east-side-king-chopnblok/

• Like 5

Wow that vendor list has got something for everyone, doesn't it? Can't wait to see what they'll announce next! This place is gonna be awesome! I was already super hyped for that rooftop garden (Love me some outdoor spaces, what can I say... :P especially 'cause this one's so unique for our city) but seeing the huge variety of food offerings and knowing they're going to drop more? Yeah this project is definitely after my heart. :P

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Triton said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/07/14/post-houston-food-hall-vendors.html

Unable to read it but it sounds like Blendin coffee and a few others are coming to Post now.

Post Market — the 53,000-square-foot food hall within the 550,000-square-foot Post Houston project underway downtown — has added more vendors.

The entire Post Houston project — a redevelopment of the former Barbara Jordan Post Office — is being developed by Houston-based Lovett Commercial. Post Market is designed by architecture firm OMA and Partner Jason Long, along with Houston-based Lucid United Collective of Independent Designers.

Lovett Commercial announced a handful of Post Market tenants in December, but the latest round includes about twice as many. Many are internationally focused, and there are some hometown favorites as well. The list also features two concepts from controversial chef Paul Qui, a "Top Chef" and James Beard Award winner who indicated in November 2019 that he would open a concept in the Post Houston development.

Here are the latest additions:

• Golfstrømmen Seafood Market – The first U.S. concept for chef Christopher Haatuft of Lysverket, a restaurant in Bergen, Norway. Named for the Gulf Stream ocean current that connects the Texas Gulf Coast to Norway’s fishing banks, Golfstrømmen will feature Gulf seafood plus seasonal produce cooked with a lightness and minimalist approach that Nordic food is known for. Fresh Gulf seafood will also be available for customers to purchase and prepare at home.
  • Saison Cellar — Sommelier Mark Bright, partner and wine director at Michelin-rated Saison, will open his first location of Saison Cellar at Post Market. It will feature wines from around the world.
  • Hawker Street Food Bar – The first U.S. concept from chef Laila Bazahm, whose Hawker 45 restaurant was named one of Conde Nast’s 30 Best Restaurants in Barcelona. It will feature Southeast Asian and Latin American hybrid street cuisine.
  • East Side King — Created by Qui and Moto Utsunomiya, this Austin-based concept offers globally influenced Japanese street food. It started as a food truck and now has two locations in Austin.
  • ChòpnBlk — Houston chef Ope Amosu will debut the first brick-and-mortar location of his West African pop-up series, ChòpnBlk, in Post Market. The concept, which was featured on chef Marcus Samuelsson's series, "No Passport Required," offers healthy West African-inspired plates with bold spice blends, fresh proteins, bright veggies and flavorful grains.
  • Soy Pinoy — Another concept from Qui, Soy Pinoy translates to "I'm Filipino" and aims to expand awareness of Filipino culinary culture. The concept has a location in Denver's Zeppelin Station food hall, as well.
  • Andes Café — Chef David Guerrero’s Andes Café serves flavors from the seven South American countries that the Andes mountain range links from Ecuador to Argentina. The concept's original location in Houston's East End closed in early January 2020 after six years.
  • Thai Kun — Another import from Austin and Denver, Chef Thai Chanthong’s Thai Kun serves authentic Thai street food and includes vegan and gluten free menu options. It was named one of Bon Appetit’s Best New Restaurants in America in 2014.
  • BlendIn Coffee Club – Created by Weihong Zhang, BlendIn Coffee Club opened its first shop and roastery in Sugar Land in 2017. The company also has a location in the mixed-use redevelopment at 3201 Allen Parkway.
  • Abu Omar Halal - Originally Houston's first halal food truck, Abu Omar Halal offers Mediterranean fast-casual items. The company now has several Houston-area locations plus a handful in other Texas cities and a few in other states.
  • Sweets with L&L — Tameia Frank Jones’s cotton candy concept, which currently has two Houston locations, offers over 20 flavors.

RECOMMENDED

“In an effort to create a destination that celebrates diversity through food, art and culture, we are committed to opening a property that offers businesses of all sizes opportunities to grow and showcase their product at Post Houston,” said Frank Liu, president of Lovett Commercial. “Our vision from the start has been to create a one-of-a-kind cultural experience for Houstonians and the millions of visitors that come through our incredible city each year.”

Lovett, which purchased the Barbara Jordan Post Office in 2015began to redevelop the 550,000-square-foot building two years ago with the aim of creating downtown Houston’s newest destination area.

Additional tenants and food hall tenants will be announced as Post Houston gets closer to opening, which is expected in fall 2021.

The completed project will house one of the world’s largest rooftop parks and sustainable farms, a 90,000-square-foot Live Nation concert venue, and many other retail and office concepts including restaurants, bars and flexible coworking space.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, staresatmaps said:

They could have at least attempted a pedestrian connection with downtown...

I'm not sure what *they* would be responsible for. This first phase is just a renovation of an existing building - in future the phases the plaza will hopefully be flanked by new buildings, but there is already a light-protected street crossing at Congress that links the plaza with the rest of downtown. And the crossing at Bagby, which now just leads to a parking lot but at least means there is a protected crossing everywhere a  perpendicular street hits Franklin.

The main problem is Franklin itself - it's *way* too wide for no reason. I would love to see the Downtown District use this as an opportunity to redo the street, but I'm not aware of any plans.

• Like 4