sevfiv

5 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

No, but, as described, the funding pie is fixed . . .

Well that's a bit revisionist . . . you said it's simple "common sense" to connect an airport to downtown and that a train was needed to have "some level of appeal to visitors." 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . 

Well glad to hear you saying (implying?) that demand is a worthwhile consideration.  Sources shared above about how demand for these things is commonly grossly overestimated.

You don't have to predict the future, but considering the experience of other cities and other key factors certainly can be used as a reasonably reliable predictive tool, at least in the short term.

Are you done?

• Haha 4

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

And why would Harris County consumers be interested in subsidizing (through sales taxes) a small number of visitors from out of town, essentially so that these visitors leaving "feeling" that there is a "better sense of connectivity"?  Seems like a pretty high price to pay for feelings.  Are there not better, more critical uses of such monies?

moo, just raise the hotel occupancy tax to pay for it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, mkultra25 said:

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

20180830.jpg

If not mistaken the old Forum was a couple blocks away that was also torn down around the same time period. It was in the vicinity of what is now Hobby Center and the Bayou Place. What historical buildings Houston has torn down over the years.

Anyone else kind of nervous for this? I for one am super excited, the only thing kind of holding it back a bit is how I feel this is like the ultimate litmus test for downtown. I think the views will undoubtedly garner a ton of wedding/corporate/special event money, I just hope the rest of the development like the food, music, and retail (assuming there is some kind of retail whether its a food market or clothes or whatnot) does well.

I mean, there's no way this portion of the development could be a loser: https://twitter.com/JRDNLTHMS/status/1390451008367640576?s=20

E0vfywvXsAI8ZfF?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 6

My worry is that this is not the easiest walk from most places in downtown, it doesn't have a lot of trees or other developments super close to it.  Still, I think that it is looking like such a draw that it may not matter.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to POST: 401 Franklin Post Office Site Redevelopment
10 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Very exciting development. 

Mods, can we change the topic heading?  This is not named Post HTX.  Per their website, it seems to be simply POST.

Done.

• Like 3

So from the video they plan to have a huge amount dedicated to office space.  It's been a while since Day for Night...kinda forgot how massive this building is.

The video is still available on their Facebook if you want to take a look.

• Like 4