sevfiv

3 hours ago, astrohip said:

My friend bought this building (110 Milam) several years ago, and decided to save it. It was in ill shape, and needed more money than any developer is ever willing to put into a building. He decided to completely refurb/rehab it, and turn it into his residence. Several years and a shitload of money later...

The bottom floor backs onto Buffalo Bayou. He acknowledged it was going to flood, and made it an open-ish storage area, with walls designed to handle water exposure. Each floor has a purpose--one for his bedroom, another for living/dining/kitchen, another for work space, etc. His living floor has these huge, commercial glass-paneled overhead doors (like Garage doors) along the back wall (facing Buffalo Bayou & west), that when shut provide a wall. But they can open with a button, and create an open-air environment.

Those metal stairs on the side are to meet fire egress codes. On the roof is a stainless steel pool and deck. You can imagine the structural support he had to put in for that.

He also collects cars, everything from Ferraris to classic oldies...

20160920_203408.jpg

Incredible. Glad the building managed to be saved at all.

Don't suppose there are any pictures floating around of the place? I wouldn't want you to go and invade your friend's privacy for the sake of curious internet strangers 😁

• Like 6

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Incredible. Glad the building managed to be saved at all.

Don't suppose there are any pictures floating around of the place? I wouldn't want you to go and invade your friend's privacy for the sake of curious internet strangers 😁

I looked, and I don't have any. While it is certainly a photo-worthy place, I guess taking pics when you visit a friend doesn't usually happen 😉

• Like 2

I believe I saw that Edsel station wagon on a morning walk in my neighborhood several months ago. If it is the same car (and how many turquoise Edsel station wagons can there be even in Houston) it is in very good shape. I love the boomerang tail lights.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder what the grid pattern area is for?

Those grid patterns in the concrete are from saw cutting the concrete.  Basically after they finish the concrete, a grid is laid out and joints are cut into the concrete.  It is how they attempt to control cracking and force cracks to happen in certain spots vs others.

If you want an informative look at the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UrR31RGVI

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

if they time this thing right, its going to be a HUGE success.  Imagine this building opens in July / August of 2021.  The vaccine has rolled out, people are itching to get out and BOOM there is this place ready for you to spend you money.

2021 is going to be a GREAT YEAR (i keep telling myself as I hide under my desk from the current world). 

As an addendum, if it’s August and the vaccine has rolled out, people are ready to get out but realize they’ll melt if they actually go outside, and there’s this cool new air conditioned place that just opened up. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 12/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, houstontexasjack said:

As an addendum, if it’s August and the vaccine has rolled out, people are ready to get out but realize they’ll melt if they actually go outside, and there’s this cool new air conditioned place that just opened up. 😊

or they realize that they have to resume going into the office and sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day.

I wonder, how many people are going to start missing those 2 hours, and either demand more WFH options, or try to move closer to their offices?

probably a topic for another post...

no matter, I can't wait to see this thing up close and in person. looking back at my photos from day for night festival, the view of downtown is spectacular, and being able to see it from the roof is going to be even better.

• Like 4

I think you have a different relationship with grocery stores than I do. Plus the Marq-E complex is nothing to be emulated.

That said, I think a specialty grocer (or more than one) would work great here, but a full-size grocery store, even Whole Foods, is probably not ideal. An Asian market would be cool.

I do think proximity can be beneficial to everyone if it's done well. A big market with lots of vendors next door to a grocery store kind of offers the best of both worlds. You can go to the market (in part for that heightened "entertainment" experience), and if you realize you also need something at a standard grocery store you don't have to get back in a car and drive someplace else. 

Trader Joe's across from Eastern Market in DC is one example. 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...