Rice Village Shopping Center At 2400 University Blvd.

• 2 months later...

the line for Hopdoddy wasnt too bad during non-peak hours yesterday...we got out of a movie yesterday around 540pm and the line was maybe 30 people long...

and i heard later that night it wasnt too bad close to closing time. but cant wait to check it out! i have a feeling the village location will be more busy due to foot traffic and other things in that area...so far ROD is not getting much of that...well...not until Hopdoddy ;) 

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

i wonder if someone in detroit has ever heard the phrase "he doesn't know shit from Shinola".

Well, the latter-day Shinola is still selling shoe polish, so you'd assume that someone in the company has at least a passing familiarity with that old saying. 

New:

Shinola-shoe-polish.jpg 

Old:

429574303_3631328e0e.jpg

Comparative baseline:

smiling-poop-emoji.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i was in the area recently and honestly nothing about this renovation excites me...i enjoy going to Rice Village from time to time and i dont know what is wrong with me but,...moo! haha! 

Edited by gene

On 8/31/2016 at 2:24 PM, Timoric said:

Those white painted bricks remind me of a Chip/Joanna Gaines reno.

haha! Noooooo!...i love Fixer Upper!!! and weird that moo became moo up there so i edited my original post... ;)

omg why wont this site let me type the word M-E-H!?!? 

Edited by gene

• 4 months later...

Austin-based Halycon and Stella Public House coming to Rice Village.

https://app.microventures.com/crowdfunding/texas-zebo

Further down the line, Texas Zebo expects to open a Houston location in 2019-2020. Texas Zebo is already in talks with the developer of Rice Village, a shopping district that offers a mix of retailers, restaurants, and nightlife just minutes from Rice University. Plans are to build another landmark Halcyon and Stella Public House in the new Phase II development of that district.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Here's the biggest change coming as I just got notice via my neighborhood... no more free surface parking. All street parking in the Rice Village will become metered. Free parking will be moved to the roof.

How are the boundaries of the Village defined, as far as the area that the change will affect? Something like University, Kirby, Tangley, and Morningside?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, gene said:

while that photo is cool, i just dont see anything nice about this area anymore...im not sure why or what its going to take to change my opinion though...although, yay torchy's ;)

for me it's the local places. they've all been priced out. why am I going to go to rice village to hit up gap, or urban outfitters, or express?

back when there was that toy store that was run by those old ladies who knew where everything was in that mess of a place, and other places like it, that made it worth going to.

Now it's just an outdoor galleria, or highland village without an apple store, but more bars.

• Like 6

The only thing in the Rice Village proper that I use is The Black Walnut. Shake Shack is coming though. El Mason is alright I guess.

That said, for the area, there are still plenty of things I use as a local (walk or trike up there almost daily) including Gingerman, Food truck Wednesdays, Fundamentally Toys, Salento, Soccer 4 All, Helen, Croissant-Brioche, Sweet Paris, Local, Bike World, Cloud 10, Saint Cloud, Fellini, etc...

• Like 4