Rice Village Shopping Center At 2400 University Blvd.

I think I've figured it out.  Someone upthread told us that the site plans had designated both levels as Food Hall.  In fact, the 2018 and current site plan (posted upthread) clearly shows only level 2 is designated for the Food Hall.  Level 2 space does appear to be a little more than 1/2 "abandoned" in words of the Rice Thresher.

So I think we can safely presume that the Food Hall is going in the second level of the Arcade building at University and Morningside.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/13/2014 at 10:31 AM, Luminare said:

Jane Jacobs example works really good when the historic area is already in an urban setting.

A book that's really good about discussing character of spaces and what makes for good spaces and areas with identities is Kevin Lynch's, "Image of a City". Of course there are suburban neighborhoods which should try to preserve their identity, but since the ones we talk about everyday are in areas which should have been urbanized long ago it's hard to preserve them 😕

The growing pains that Houston is going through, and will maintain into the future, is reconciling with the fact that almost the entire city has been suburban or even "sub-rural", if you will, for so long that because of the explosion of growth and race to densify almost the entire city is vulnerable in terms of its suburban fabric and architecture. It doesn't help that the draconian laws that prevented urbanization inside the loop for two decades further solidified these areas as suburban planted on quality urban plots. I guarantee you that if those laws were not in place that whole area would already been mid-rise just keep with demand to be closer to market areas such as this.

It's an architectural discourse that has be presented and discussed. We will probably have these same conversations years later with more of East Downtown and more of Washington Ave get further redevelopment because they have such a low-rise architectural fabric it simply will be difficult for the city to preserve these parts of our history.

Well said 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on Mendocino Farms Rice Village restaurant at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120, Houston.

It's opening next month, July 18.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/ricevillage/

I'll try and snap photos of the inside this weekend if I can, and around Rice Village.

Wow that is awesome! From the looks of it, they haven't even begun to do any work at all on the Uptown Park location. I can't wait to check out the Rice Village location just to get an idea of what to expect!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on Mendocino Farms Rice Village restaurant at 5510 Morningside Dr, Suite 120, Houston.

It's opening next month, July 18.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/ricevillage/

I'll try and snap photos of the inside this weekend if I can, and around Rice Village.

Those sandwiches look really good.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any updates on the proposed Dat Dog build out?  On the corner lot right next to Mendocino Farms.  I recall the liquor license being approved a while back, but still no activity on the site.  I think it would be great to see that stretch of outdoor patios on Morningside continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

They're not opening until early 2020.

Also it's not part of Rice Village Arcade renovation. Dat Dog is located in another building that's unrelated to the Rice Village development now under management by Edge Realty. And more reason that there needs to be a forum for the area that consists of Boulevard Oaks, Rice Village, and West U, so there can be dedicated threads for buildings, lots, and new developments in those areas.

Ok, thanks.  I just know that Dat Dog first mentioned this location back in early 2018, so I wonder how serious the early 2020 date is now.

I'm fine with everything going on in the Rice Village falling under this thread.....updates from the various projects seem to come in slow drips anyways.  But you keep doing you.....I applaud your very persistent efforts on a lot of these threads.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Mods @Triton @Urbannizer @Subdude

Can you please consider moving this thread to the "Other Neighborhoods" forum since @editor has not created a forum for the Rice Village and West U area?

The proposed hotel isn't going up anytime soon. Until it does, maybe this thread would be a better fit in the "Other Neighborhoods" forum (not the West Loop since this is more West U and Rice Village than West Loop). Most of the updates are about renovations to the existing building of Village Arcade and the shops surrounding Rice Village District. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/forum/34-other-houston-neighborhoods/

I would agree with this as well. Most of the major alterations have been completed. Now you just have small buildouts, renovations, or reuses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Agreed. There is nothing big or even small going up here. There are only build-outs or renovations of existing buildings. Any other project like this, would not be in Going Up. It would be in one of the other forums, like the Uptown Park project, the Highland Village shopping center. Both are doing renovations and build-outs of existing storefronts like Rice Village. None of them are  building high rise residential or apartments, which then would be a consideration for moving to the Going Up forum.

Well this one will be moved eventually haha. Until then I guess this one will get slightly more attention. Would probably be fair for us all to go easy on asking for demotions until the dust settles from @editor work on new subforum designations. Now if we find things buried that should be in "Going Up" lets call it out. Deal?

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     I would love to meet whatever idiot that runs Mendocinco farms that came to houston and ate at Local Foods and Dish Society and watched East Hampton already close a store and thought "yup, we should enter this market".   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, crock said:

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     I would love to meet whatever idiot that runs Mendocinco farms that came to houston and ate at Local Foods and Dish Society and watched East Hampton already close a store and thought "yup, we should enter this market".   

I don't know. By all metrics this has been raving success, or is all this just your opinion? and what chains are you referring too?

2 hours ago, crock said:

Hubby and I ate at Mendocino Farms last night and it was packed. Great location, especially outside with the nice weather. That being said, Local Foods and Dish Society have nothing to worry about, imo. 

I think concepts that are popular elsewhere, i.e. Mendocino Farms, Hopdoddy, Shake Shack etc. see Houston as a viable market because of the many transplants coming here who identify with those places. I honestly think our homegrown eateries are less likely to expand to other markets because there aren’t as many Houston transplants en masse in other cities to create a following. To me, it speaks to the fact that generally speaking, Houston is a place people relocate to, rather than from. 

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, crock said:

replacing local restaurants with pass-their-prime national chains and removing all free parking is just...  sad.     

IIRC, parking in the structure is free for two hours, even without validation. But now that the surface spots in front of the stores are metered from the first minute, those spots are much more likely to be available. (Funny how that works)

Growing up, the only reason to go to Rice Village was that place on the second floor that brewed their own beer, gingerman for the cup special, the irish pub, or that other bar where hopdoddies is (Baker St.?). Don't forget that weird club that was in that tiny space next to the irish pub . They've successfully repositioned the village to have less 21-24 year olds just piss drunk at all hours of the day after 5pm or so, and more of a hang out-chill vibe. There were actual families there at 8pm on Thursday just moseying around. I'm sure the neighborhood didn't love having the crazy crowds on st. paddy's weekend.

I honestly don't know how the old school retail places are still open. That soccer shop is the perfect example: appallingly mediocre soccer selection and only open until 7pm (lol wut), but hey! for some reason they also sell lacrosse gear? But hey! Antiques! Closed at 5pm! I know that area is rich and all but damn, I guess they've done all their shopping before anyone has a chance to get home. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, X.R. said:

Growing up, the only reason to go to Rice Village was that place on the second floor that brewed their own beer, gingerman for the cup special, the irish pub, or that other bar where hopdoddies is (Baker St.?). Don't forget that weird club that was in that tiny space next to the irish pub . They've successfully repositioned the village to have less 21-24 year olds just piss drunk at all hours of the day after 5pm or so, and more of a hang out-chill vibe. There were actual families there at 8pm on Thursday just moseying around. I'm sure the neighborhood didn't love having the crazy crowds on st. paddy's weekend.

I honestly don't know how the old school retail places are still open. That soccer shop is the perfect example: appallingly mediocre soccer selection and only open until 7pm (lol wut), but hey! for some reason they also sell lacrosse gear? But hey! Antiques! Closed at 5pm! I know that area is rich and all but damn, I guess they've done all their shopping before anyone has a chance to get home. 

Two Rows! $1 Wednesday and free appetizers. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This was originally posted  September 20, 2019 in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village. It's being reposted since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

2525 Rice Blvd in the| Rice Village area was home to Buffalo Wild Wings. It closed last year.

The property is listed on Loopnet (and other sites) as of August by Pipeline Realty.

This was previously posted in the Rice Village development thread. Since this is not part of the Rice Village development and is an entirely different building owned by someone else, this should have its own thread.

Here is the previous post about it:

On 8/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, Urbannizer said:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30491-rice-village-arcade-renovation-future-mixed-use/?do=findComment&comment=598832

This was originally posted  September 20, 2019 in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village. It's being reposted since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

From the Loopnet listing &  brochure for 2525 Rice Blvd.

This is the former Buffalo Wild Wings building in the Rice Village area:

Year Built     1968
Gross Leasable Area :    6,154 SF
Property Type     Retail     

31 Parking Spaces On site

v5RlZ6g.jpg

This was originally in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village. It's being reposted since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by hindesky, September 20, 2019 in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village.

I've used to spend lots of time at this Buffalo Wild Wings since my buddy used to own West U Cycles and he was good friends with the managers of it. Always seemed super busy when I would go. I don't think there are too many sports bars around the area, sorry to see it go.😢🏈🏀

This was originally in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village. It's being reposted since the original thread and other content from me were removed.

Originally posted by mkultra25, September 21, 2019 in the previous thread for 2525 Rice Blvd Blvd | Rice Village.

It's got a long history as a sports bar. Back in the 80s it was Dan & Nick's Sportsmarket, where "Dan" is Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick in a previous life, before his chain of sports bars went bankrupt and he got into politics. After that it was a similar sports bar named Dolph's for a while but they too eventually threw in the towel and it then became a succession of non-sports-bar-related businesses. 

• Like 1

This thread was originally created October 1, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread can be found here.

2537 University Blvd in the Rice Village area.

This property is part of a collection of buildings with different owners on University Boulevard between Kirby Dr and Morningside Dr. The property is also across from Rice Village District or the old Village Arcade.

l00GtAQ.jpg

42HfGKO.jpg

frpI4rR.jpg

Aerial view

Street view

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  October 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Half Price Books is located at 2537 University Blvd

https://hpb.com/020  (archive link)

Photos from the website

IlKSvel.jpg

dU26f8q.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel