Rice Village Shopping Center At 2400 University Blvd.

This was originally posted  October 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Half Price Books' Rice Village area location at 2537 University Blvd may be closing. According to someone on Reddit, the location is closing Spring 2020. It could mean the store decided not to renew or extend its lease.

The news was posted on Reddit Houston today:

After being at the corner of Kirby and University, in the heart of Rice Village since 1981, Half Price Books will close their University location at the end of March next spring. This location houses more than 4,400 yards of books, music and other media on two floors, and has long been a staple for Rice Students and families in the West U area.

Half Price Books will still operate 8 other stores in the Houston area, and a total of 45 stores in Texas, and more than 120 across the US.

https://reddit.com/r/houston/comments/dbo61d/long_time_rice_village_tenant_half_price_books_to/?sort=old  (archive link)

Dutch Line Properties (DLP) owns the building at 2537 University. The building is not associated with the REIS managed Rice Village District across the street. I don't know how accurate the Reddit post is. If it is true, I wonder  if DLP has a new tenant lined up or in mind to replace Half Price Books.

For the past 5 years or so, the development across the street formerly known as the Village Arcade ( known now as Rice Village District) has implemented sweeping changes. Those changes have been the installation of parking meters, new tenants, higher rents, and facade renovations. Trademark Property Company put these plans into motion with REIS Associates stepping in this spring as the new management of Rice Village District. 

(Further discussions about the Rice Village District development (former Village Arcade) can be found or continued in the thread dedicated to the development here)

This was in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by cspwal, October 1, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

For me, this is both sad but probably a long time coming once they started remodelling everything.  A shelf or 2 of my books I got from this 1/2 price books over the years, plus an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1995 that I got for $15 that looks great but I think I've used once.  I wonder if any bookstores will be in Rice Village after this.

This was in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed.  An archive link to the original thread is here.

Originally posted by Texasota, October 1, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

NO. This is only Half Price Books in the world I care about.

Originally posted by crock, October 1, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

sn't the Westheimer/montrose one also on the outs?  

it is insane for them to decide to leave the loop. 

Originally posted by H-town Man October 1, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

This is unfortunate. Just twenty years ago there were at least 3 used bookstores in Rice Village. There was this one, there was The Book Collector at University and Morningside where you could get a first edition of The Great Gatsby or Uncle Tom's Cabin, and there was one on Times Blvd. There was another one in an old house up on Bissonnett.

Make America Read Again

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted by mkultra25, October 2, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, H-Town Man said:

This is unfortunate. Just twenty years ago there were at least 3 used bookstores in Rice Village. There was this one, there was The Book Collector at University and Morningside where you could get a first edition of The Great Gatsby or Uncle Tom's Cabin, and there was one on Times Blvd. There was another one in an old house up on Bissonnett.

The store on Times was The Out-Of-Print Bookstore, which had a great bookplate-inspired logo but a not-terribly-original name. I was surprised to discover that they are apparently still around, albeit as an online book search service as opposed to an actual storefront (the current address is a PO box in the Hadley Street post office that replaced the old downtown post office):

http://www.outofprintbookstore.com/

The one on BIssonnet was the late, lamented Detering Book Gallery.

Originally posted by H-Town Man, October 2, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, mkultra25 said:

The store on Times was The Out-Of-Print Bookstore, which had a great bookplate-inspired logo but a not-terribly-original name. I was surprised to discover that they are apparently still around, albeit as an online book search service as opposed to an actual storefront (the current address is a PO box in the Hadley Street post office that replaced the old downtown post office):

http://www.outofprintbookstore.com/

The one on BIssonnet was the late, lamented Detering Book Gallery.

Ha, thanks! I kept thinking of "The Detering Co." but then I was like, "Wait, that's not a book store.

I bought my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary at Out of Print for $75. I remember they had "Presence: The Transco Tower" in their window for $125, which made me aware of its existence. I passed and later found a stack of them at a suburban Half Price Books for $5 apiece. I bought the whole stack and gave them out as gifts to people. My Avatar was taken from that book.

Originally posted by IronTiger, October 2, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

Definitely regretful. I've bought a few things over the last 10 or so years, including Fearless Critics restaurant guide (with some very unkind words toward the now-closed Mi Luna down the street, such as describing their sangria as tasting like "powdered Kool-Aid with the instructions followed wrong"), and going back to 2008, some back issues of (then relatively new) Mac|Life magazine.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, October 2, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

I hope this isn't true too for nostalgic reasons. Half Price Books and the Baskin Robbins ice cream shop are the few remaining hangouts my brothers and friends would go after school sometimes. This location and the Montrose shop are my favorites.

I didn't call Half Price Books yesterday to confirm the Reddit post. If it is true, what a loss this will be. 

Whichever business moves in, what changes to the facade and interior would you like to see?

Originally posted by mkultra25, October 2, 2019 in the thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:14 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Whichever business moves in, what changes to the facade and interior would you like to see?

Minimal and sensitive to the space's history, at least to the interior. Whoever moves in had better not screw up that sweeping staircase that leads to the second floor.

Put another way, any renovations should be "more Bookstop, less Trader Joe's". 

On 10/1/2019 at 8:20 PM, H-Town Man said:

Ha, thanks! I kept thinking of "The Detering Co." but then I was like, "Wait, that's not a book store.

Well, they do/did both specialize in dead tree products. 

Crockpot and Gavel,

What was it directly before it became a BW3?  I seem to remember BW3 was opened in about 1998 or so.  My friend owned/operated it, obviously I need to track him down and ask him directly!  For some reason I want to say it "Giffs", from Giff Nielson.  But maybe I'm just confusing it with the Dan & Nicks iteration.  I remember walking through it when it was becoming BW3 and I think they kept a lot of the sports memorabilia from when it was Giffs (or whatever place I'm thinking of).   I'm pretty sure it was a sports bar right before it became BW3 (but maybe there might have been a gap of few years between Dan & Nicks and BW3?). 

Our money was the first ever spent in there, and one of our dollar bills was on the wall for years afterward.

• The title was changed to Rice Village Curbs & Infrastructure
On 10/1/2019 at 3:37 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Half Price Books' Rice Village area location at 2537 University Blvd may be closing. According to someone on Reddit, the location is closing Spring 2020. It could mean the store decided not to renew or extend its lease.

The news was posted on Reddit Houston today:

After being at the corner of Kirby and University, in the heart of Rice Village since 1981, Half Price Books will close their University location at the end of March next spring. This location houses more than 4,400 yards of books, music and other media on two floors, and has long been a staple for Rice Students and families in the West U area.

Half Price Books will still operate 8 other stores in the Houston area, and a total of 45 stores in Texas, and more than 120 across the US.

https://reddit.com/r/houston/comments/dbo61d/long_time_rice_village_tenant_half_price_books_to/?sort=old  (archive link)

Dutch Line Properties (DLP) owns the building at 2537 University. The building is not associated with the REIS managed Rice Village District across the street. I don't know how accurate the Reddit post is. If it is true, I wonder  if DLP has a new tenant lined up or in mind to replace Half Price Books.

For the past 5 years or so, the development across the street formerly known as the Village Arcade ( known now as Rice Village District) has implemented sweeping changes. Those changes have been the installation of parking meters, new tenants, higher rents, and facade renovations. Trademark Property Company put these plans into motion with REIS Associates stepping in this spring as the new management of Rice Village District. 

(Further discussions about the Rice Village District development (former Village Arcade) can be found or continued in the thread dedicated to the development here)

Finally, media reports on the closing of the Rice Village area location of Half Price Books.  Half Price Books confirms the post from Reddit published in September..

From Houston Chronicle last week:

The Rice Village location of Half Price Books is set to close its doors in March.

“The rent cost in the area has gone up. We're at the point that we can no longer afford to stay in that location,” said Emily Bruce, a representative for the Dallas-based company.

The store, which opened in 1981, is located at 2537 University Blvd. in a two-story building that was formerly occupied by a clothing store, rock 'n' roll club and theater co-op, according to Rice Village store manager Veronica Wilkerson.

...Over the years several celebrities have reportedly walked through the store's front doors, including Michael Jackson and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Half-Price-Books-Rice-Village-set-to-close-doors-14814845.php

More details on Half Price Books impending March 2020 closing from CultureMap. The publication also reached out to the building's owner for details and asked if another tenant has signed on.

From CultureMap Houston on Friday:

On Wednesday, November 6, it was reported that Half Price Books on 2537 University Blvd., a bookstore that has been at that location for four decades, will be closing its doors early next year.

..."Unfortunately, rent prices have gone up," says Emily Bruce, Half Price's public relations manager. "We couldn't afford to stay in the area."

According to Debbie Sheets, property manager and leasing agent for Dutch Line Properties (aka the property owners), there were negotiations between with Half Price regarding what they could pay in order to stay. Sadly, both parties couldn't work it out. "We couldn't agree on a price," says Sheets. "The property's worth more than the rent they could afford."

Bruce says the Rice Village location will officially close on Sunday, March 8. And although there hasn't been any plans to move the business to another locations, Bruce insists that "the management team always keeps an eye out for new locations."

There hasn't been any word on what business will be in Half Price's place once they completely vacate the premises at the end of March...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/11-08-19-half-price-books-rice-village-closing-houston-dutch-line-properties/

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to Rice Village Arcade "renovation" & future mixed-use
  • 2 weeks later...

Sporting a new bar and expanded dining area, Rice Village Torchy’s sets reopening date

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/impacts/2020/03/10/sporting-a-new-bar-and-expanded-dining-area-rice-village-torchys-sets-reopening-date/

After temporarily shutting down in late October 2019 to begin renovations, Torchy’s Tacos at Rice Village, at 2400 Times Blvd., Houston, will open on Wednesday, March 18, a spokesman for the company confirmed in an email.

The remodeled fast casual taco restaurant will sell its usual offerings when it reopens, but inside a larger and revamped dining room, along with a new full bar.

Mw8xGXL.jpg

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Rice Village Arcade "renovation" & future mixed-use
  • The title was changed to Rice Village Renovations & Future Mixed-Use
On 4/26/2020 at 3:59 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wtf is this!? Isn’t there a small strip center there already? 

There is.

Looks They are listing up to 2100sf, which is the size of the bath store. Guessing that lease is expiring and they are doing a remodel to try to attract a new tenant.

Ho-hum.

• 4 weeks later...

Madison Reed hair care bar set to open in Rice Village June 1

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/impacts/2020/05/22/madison-reed-hair-care-bar-set-to-open-in-rice-village-june-1/

Madison Reed will open one of its color bars at a new location June 1 at 2515 Amherst St., Ste. A126, Houston, in Rice Village, Rice Management Co. confirmed.

The American brand of hair care and hair color products offers color bars to customers, which includes a free personalized color consultation along with the ability to take a hair color home, or, by scheduling an appointment, to have a colorist color the hair, at a fraction of the cost of a traditional salon, according to the company’s website.

Hours will be Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., though hours and service will be limited, a spokesperson from the company said. Upon opening, clients are expected to keep 6 feet apart, keep appointment lengths to a minimum—at 1 hour, 15 minutes—and more. Pricing is $55 for roots, $85 for roots plus a gloss and $85 for all-over color. Madison Reed is also offering an Unlimited Roots Membership for $55 per month. 281-502-8127.https://www.madison-reed.com/

t13sGJJ.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Velvet Taco is really expanding...with this new location and the one coming to Uptown (former Zone D' Erotica bldg)...they are trying to get some of Torchy's business and i guess it is working!

I have to say, i used to love going to Rice Village for all the cool stores but now all of them are gone...so to ME, Rice Village has lost it's appeal in that sense. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gene said:

Velvet Taco is really expanding...with this new location and the one coming to Uptown (former Zone D' Erotica bldg)...they are trying to get some of Torchy's business and i guess it is working!

I have to say, i used to love going to Rice Village for all the cool stores but now all of them are gone...so to ME, Rice Village has lost it's appeal in that sense. 

I thought they were also going in on shepard and 20th... but that has sat there vacant for some time. anyone know why the either stalled or abandoned this?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Urban Outfitters at Rice Village permanently closes its doors

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/impacts/2020/09/16/urban-outfitters-at-rice-village-permanently-closes-its-doors/

The Rice Village location of Urban Outfitters has permanently shut its doors, according to a Sept. 8 news release from the company.

Urban Outfitters in Rice Village opened its doors for the last time Sept. 13 at its location at 2501 University Blvd., Houston, according to the announcement.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like the Rice Management Co. bought the property at 5504 Morningside last year.  Construction fence is up and renovations appear to be underway.  This building had once been slated for a Dat Dog franchise expansion, but I'm guessing the new ownership means that plan is off......anyone know what is happening here?  

If nothing else, it is encouraging that Rice is still expanding their footprint in the Rice Village. Hopefully they can tie this property into the Hopdoddy/Mendocino Farms patio next door.

• Like 2