Rice Village Shopping Center At 2400 University Blvd.

15 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

It looks like the Rice Management Co. bought the property at 5504 Morningside last year.  Construction fence is up and renovations appear to be underway.  This building had once been slated for a Dat Dog franchise expansion, but I'm guessing the new ownership means that plan is off......anyone know what is happening here?  

If nothing else, it is encouraging that Rice is still expanding their footprint in the Rice Village. Hopefully they can tie this property into the Hopdoddy/Mendocino Farms patio next door.

Looks like Rice Box found another location after their University & Greenbriar deal failed.

5504 Morningside.pdf

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another restaurant coming to Rice Village

image.png.f113c10ff58d1c5c7b2b59895027f6de.png

nate, does the general public have the ability to view the further details on the permits like you have attached? I can't for the life of me figure out how to view this from the weekly reports. 

On 1/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, nate said:

Looks like Rice Box found another location after their University & Greenbriar deal failed.

5504 Morningside.pdf 52.56 kB · 14 downloads

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

Looks like another restaurant coming to Rice Village

image.png.f113c10ff58d1c5c7b2b59895027f6de.png

nate, does the general public have the ability to view the further details on the permits like you have attached? I can't for the life of me figure out how to view this from the weekly reports. 

Works for me using the search portal.

http://www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/approot/soldpermits/online_permit.htm

That one is a Pokeworks.

2514 Rice.pdf

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Local Foods Market to unveil expanded concept in Rice Village

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/dining/2021/02/10/local-foods-market-to-unveil-expanded-concept-in-rice-village/

The new concept offers counter service and grab-and-go meals along with a boutique grocery marketplace that offers goods from local suppliers and a selection of organic, hard-to-find wines. The market builds on the market and grab-and-go concept that Local Foods began offering amid COVID-19 shutdowns last year.

“We are thrilled to continue the pop-up success with the conversion of benjy’s into a larger Local Foods Market. Our Chefs have created an amazing menu featuring upscale ingredients for diners to enjoy in a casual atmosphere,” Local Foods owner Benjy Levit said in a news release.

The newly redesigned 4,500-square-foot, two-story space includes an expanded covered patio for up to 50 guests, new built-in booths, 1940s-inspired light fixtures and heritage pieces from Levit’s grandfather’s grocery store in Florida.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Rice Village Developments & Future Mixed-Use
  • 3 months later...

HOUSTON –Rice Village announced the addition of its newest tenant, CB2, a member of Crate and Barrel Holdings. Known for its curated collections and creative approach to design, CB2 will lease the 10,084 SF space at 2414 University. Burdette Huffman of The Blue Ox Group represented the landlord. Kim Bernick with Transwestern represented the tenant.

https://realtynewsreport.com/rnr-real-estate-briefs-from-realty-news-report-hou-dal-aus-sat-and-more-2/

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, nate said:

5504 Morningside.pdf 52.56 kB · 21 downloads

My buddy said he saw this building being demolished. Wasn’t the original plan to be renovated? I believe they’ve been renovating the inside for a while. Anyone know what’s up?

21 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

My buddy said he saw this building being demolished. Wasn’t the original plan to be renovated? I believe they’ve been renovating the inside for a while. Anyone know what’s up?

Based upon the attached and what it looked like to me yesterday, I think they are just demolishing the storefronts and will build new storefronts to match the Rice Box aesthetic. I have no inside knowledge so could be wrong.

FYI, the Badolina bakery across the street is now open and its fantastic.

3259 SF RTL TO RSTRNT W:STR'L MODS 1-1-5.pdf

Edited by nate
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Buffalo Wild Wings: The New Chili's
  • 1 month later...
On 10/27/2019 at 3:35 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This thread was originally created October 1, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread can be found here.

2537 University Blvd in the Rice Village area.

This property is part of a collection of buildings with different owners on University Boulevard between Kirby Dr and Morningside Dr. The property is also across from Rice Village District or the old Village Arcade.

l00GtAQ.jpg

42HfGKO.jpg

frpI4rR.jpg

Aerial view

Street view

On 10/27/2019 at 3:41 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This was originally posted  October 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Half Price Books is located at 2537 University Blvd

https://hpb.com/020  (archive link)

Photos from the website

IlKSvel.jpg

dU26f8q.jpg

On 10/27/2019 at 3:45 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This was originally posted  October 1, 2019 in the previous thread for Half Price Books | 2537 University Blvd | Rice Village . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Half Price Books' Rice Village area location at 2537 University Blvd may be closing. According to someone on Reddit, the location is closing Spring 2020. It could mean the store decided not to renew or extend its lease.

The news was posted on Reddit Houston today:

After being at the corner of Kirby and University, in the heart of Rice Village since 1981, Half Price Books will close their University location at the end of March next spring. This location houses more than 4,400 yards of books, music and other media on two floors, and has long been a staple for Rice Students and families in the West U area.

Half Price Books will still operate 8 other stores in the Houston area, and a total of 45 stores in Texas, and more than 120 across the US.

https://reddit.com/r/houston/comments/dbo61d/long_time_rice_village_tenant_half_price_books_to/?sort=old  (archive link)

Dutch Line Properties (DLP) owns the building at 2537 University. The building is not associated with the REIS managed Rice Village District across the street. I don't know how accurate the Reddit post is. If it is true, I wonder  if DLP has a new tenant lined up or in mind to replace Half Price Books.

For the past 5 years or so, the development across the street formerly known as the Village Arcade ( known now as Rice Village District) has implemented sweeping changes. Those changes have been the installation of parking meters, new tenants, higher rents, and facade renovations. Trademark Property Company put these plans into motion with REIS Associates stepping in this spring as the new management of Rice Village District. 

(Further discussions about the Rice Village District development (former Village Arcade) can be found or continued in the thread dedicated to the development here)

All of the posts for Half Price Books should be in their own thread as it was previously.

The property is NOT owned by Rice Village and it's not part of the Rice Village development. This was stated in several articles.

My understanding is this thread is dedicated to the Rice Village development only.

Properties like the former Half Price Books, Mi Luna, the former Buffalo Wild Wings are NOT part of the Rice Village development. Each are owned by different companies with NO TIES to the company who owns and manages Rice Village. It's why those properties or businesses are not listed on Rice Village's website or the map showing all the businesses that are part of the Rice Village development.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Ike's Love & Sandwiches.

WpCV8Yv.png

Ike's Love & Sandwiches expansion to the Rice Village area was reported months ago.

I think Houston Chronicle listed it in their retail round-up a few months back. And Houston Business Journal reported this in May.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/05/20/ikes-love-sandwiches-houston-rice-village.html

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 1 month later...

Sprinkles Cupcakes will be opening its second Houston location in December, at 2563 Amherst St., Houston, and is set to occupy approximately 1,718 square feet of space, according to an announcement from Rice Management Company on Oct. 12.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/impacts/2021/10/13/sprinkles-cupcakes-fabbriology-and-more-coming-soon-to-rice-village/

3 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Sprinkles Cupcakes will be opening its second Houston location in December, at 2563 Amherst St., Houston, and is set to occupy approximately 1,718 square feet of space, according to an announcement from Rice Management Company on Oct. 12.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/impacts/2021/10/13/sprinkles-cupcakes-fabbriology-and-more-coming-soon-to-rice-village/

Yes. I shared the news two months ago...in the post directly above yours.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I thought there were older updates in the thread about Susiecakes in the Rice Village development, but I think they were removed.

Susiecakes closed its Rice Village location last year. Moving into the space at 2563 Amherst St is Sprinkles Cupcakes.

• 3 months later...

Back in October, Aaron Bludorn announced he and his team leased the Rice Village space formerly occupied by food hall Politan Row, 2445 Times Blvd.

Details were light and there wasn't a name provided at the time.

However, a very recent trademark filing indicates the name of the restaurant could be Navy Blue.

There is also an Instagram account for the restaurant at @navybluehtx. And a domain for Navy Blue was registered a week and a half ago.

I don't think there are any public renderings yet for this. It will be interesting seeing their vision for the space.

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/news/breaking-news/aaron-bludorn-to-open-new-concept-in-houstons-rice-village/

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is part of the Rice Village District development (former Politan Row unit) and is indicated on the site plan. 

I posted about Navy Blue several weeks ago in the thread that's specifically for Rice Village District.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:42 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Back in October, Aaron Bludorn announced he and his team leased the Rice Village space formerly occupied by food hall Politan Row, 2445 Times Blvd.

Details were light and there wasn't a name provided at the time.

However, a very recent trademark filing indicates the name of the restaurant could be Navy Blue.

There is also an Instagram account for the restaurant at @navybluehtx. And a domain for Navy Blue was registered a week and a half ago.

I don't think there are any public renderings yet for this. It will be interesting seeing their vision for the space.

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/news/breaking-news/aaron-bludorn-to-open-new-concept-in-houstons-rice-village/

Mods please merge this with the Rice Village thread where thile unit at 2445 Times Blvd has been discussed. @Montrose1100 @Triton @Urbannizer

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

This is part of the Rice Village District development (former Politan Row unit) and is indicated on the site plan. 

I posted about Navy Blue several weeks ago in the thread that's specifically for Rice Village District.

Mods please merge this with the Rice Village thread where thile unit at 2445 Times Blvd has been discussed. @Montrose1100 @Triton @Urbannizer

Looks like someone else already got to it :)

On 3/1/2022 at 7:13 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Please utilize the report function instead of tagging us, thanks. 

30 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Please utilize the report function instead of tagging us, thanks. 

Actually, I did use the report function. Also, I noted the duplicate post and merge request in the thread in addition to reporting it because several reports I submitted months ago regarding wrong addresses in titles, duplicates, or whatever were never addressed or fixed by any of the mods. So, I noted in the threads for mods to merge the topics because it's something others in the forum have done repeatedly without being singled out by mods to use the report function. 

• Haha 2