George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

The building’s iconic feature will be a 2,000-square-foot terrace offering a panoramic look at Discovery Green park, several hotels, a soon-to-be-renovated convention center facade,  landscaped pedestrian walkways and sidewalk cafes as well as a dramatic view of the skyline, said Bob Harvey, president and CEO of the GHP.

In what possible sense of the word could the terrace be an "iconic feature"?  What does that even mean? 

Anyway, I suppose it makes sense for the various civic booster organizations to be bundled in together, and the location is perfect for when they want to waylay convention-goers and explain the benefits of Houston.  

In what possible sense of the word could the terrace be an "iconic feature"? What does that even mean?

It's an "iconic feature" in that no other building Downtown offers a rooftop terr ....oh wait.

CORRECTION: It's an "iconic feature" that continues the trend of BG Group Place's "iconic feature."

"iconic" seems to be the big buzzword of the year, but people who use it really don't understand its meaning.

If you break it down, it's actually pretty accurate in its current usage:

Iconic:

I con - as in "I con you" or "I am lying to you" or 

Ic - as in "Ick" or something you would say if something is nasty or not pleasing

So most things labeled 'iconic' in Houston are just not really pleasing to the eye and mostly a fabrication or distortion or the truth.

• Like 2

I'm so glad to see the hotel kick-started.  I was worried that if it were put off then it would never get done.  Downtown still needs more hotel spaces, and this is a perfect location.  The proximity of the assorted civic booster organizations in the office section makes sense too, since presumably they host a number of out-of-town visitors.  The only other thing this building needs is a major restaurant on the ground floor!

• Like 1