George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Heh. An Omni downtown would be cool. I've been wondering myself what brand this will end up being. Surely with all the amenities in this building they will want to go with something high end.

So now that we've determined the road is in fact closed off, connecting the southern half of GRB directly to Discovery Green, what does everyone think about the new connectivity? I love it.

The only downside I see is I use ADLA to run along side 59 so I can merge into 288 leaving the east side of downtown. Now I'll have to go down a couple more blocks. Ah well, there will be more retail on the park now!

Edited by cloud713

ADLA will be half its current size. Basically, the east half of the street (from the current median to the GRB, will be converted to what you see in the renderings. The west half of the street (the current southbound side) will be converted to 2-way traffic.I thought I heard this too but it doesn't appear to be true. Look at slides 8 and 21. It seems that they are CLOSING the ADLA (both sides) from the underground garage entrance southward. Thereby fully connecting GRB to Disco. ADLA will be four lanes of traffic (two in and two out) from the Northside of the GRB to the underground entrance only.

Am I missing something?

Edit.....

Now, if you look at the last picture in the post above, it makes sense. You can see that the "blue cube box" that is in disco now (stairs to garage), is in the rendering. The new space shown is permenant new "park" space that connects the GRB to disco. The road is completely gone in this section.

A zoom in of the site plan on the PDF reveals that only rthe Southbound lanes of ADLA will go all the way through the site. The Northbound lanes will be cut off from the garage to Dallas St. The Southbound lanes are optional closure for events from the garage to Dallas St.

This makes sense. Traffic leaving the garage can go north then left at Walker or right on Texas. Meanwhile traffic entering from Polk can left turn and proceed down Lamar. And with the optional closure of the southbound lanes at the garage, events can still go on without blocking access to the garage.

post-709-1412819104293_thumb.jpg

I thought I heard this too but it doesn't appear to be true. Look at slides 8 and 21. It seems that they are CLOSING the ADLA (both sides) from the underground garage entrance southward. Thereby fully connecting GRB to Disco. ADLA will be four lanes of traffic (two in and two out) from the Northside of the GRB to the underground entrance only.

Am I missing something?

Edit.....

Now, if you look at the last picture in the post above, it makes sense. You can see that the "blue cube box" that is in disco now (stairs to garage), is in the rendering. The new space shown is permenant new "park" space that connects the GRB to disco. The road is completely gone in this section.

That's what I'm seeing as well...?

@Cloud713 I disagree that we have in fact determined that the road is completely closed off. It looks like the two lanes one way south of the underground garage are to remain open but can be closed for events. 

If it is in fact closed permanently than these two slides must be wrong. There wouldn't be a car at the promenade or the two lanes ScreenShot2014-10-08at84311PM_zps7eea741

ScreenShot2014-10-08at83548PM_zpsc1720e1

To me, the red posts on the south side of Disco Green seem to make it easy to put up a temporary canopy for events and to shut down the two lanes.

It looks like the posts are perfectly placed for a "gallery" canopy top.

ScreenShot2014-10-08at84111PM_zps01a1467

I might be wrong but thats just how I understand the renderings

In addition to my comments above on traffic patterns, do notice that it appears that they are reconfiguring the Hilton garage to handle some amount of bus traffic/drop off. This is consistent to what I was told a couple of months ago.

Yes, there will be bus terminal facilities in both parking garages (the new one on the north end and the Hilton Americas garage on the south end.  There will be escalators in both to take people up to the second level skywalks connecting to the hotels and the GRB

Currently, they are actually lowering the floor of the bottom level of the Hilton Americas garage to create sufficient clearance for buses.

So, Cloud713, did you buy the naming rights to this feature they are calling The Cloud?  ;-)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I think for as much grief we give our city government for their planning ineptitude else where in Houston, they have done a wonderful job with this part of town. I think Discovery Green, along with the blocks around it, are clear examples where focused planning really pays off and I hope they step back at some point and realize this fact. They continuously claim that sprawl, no zoning, zero intervention is what makes this city great and unique, but Discovery Green completely demolishes that kind of thinking. Discovery Green is completely opposite of what they claim works. While yes no zoning is going to be a part of this city (probably forever), it's steady planning, focused intervention, and controlled infrastructure (hallmarks of city planning (in houston *gasp*)) that can help create interesting places and spaces within a city. Just imagine what the city could be like if this focus, attention, and care was placed in other areas of town! Not in the hands of developers, not in on the whelms of any one, but city government. What I don't want people to take from my statement here is that 'oh see he is showing this as why big government is good' or 'he hates private corporations'. Thats not what this is about. It's a city's duty to put the right restrictions, incentives, foundations, and infrastructure in place so successful meaningful growth can take place. It's the right balance of getting out of the way so private companies can build what they would like and government stewardship guiding the path. Hopefully it only grows from here.

• Like 3

I don't think they can close off ALDA completely b/c the entrance to the underground parking garage for DG is off of ALDA. is there another entrance to that parking lot?

They might not be. But see in the schematics how the road comes from the north, down to the underground garage entrance? But it may continue through in a narrower version down to the Hilton Americas

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That last pic made my panties wet.

And give the smokestacks talk a rest.

I love them. They make GRB different in a quirky way. Looks like a weird space ship crash landed in Houston some decades ago and we just said hey, we might as well make some creative use of it.

Without the stacks all those white walls would make the building even more warehouse like

• Like 6

That last pic made my panties wet.

And give the smokestacks talk a rest.

I love them. They make GRB different in a quirky way. Looks like a weird space ship crash landed in Houston some decades ago and we just said hey, we might as well make some creative use of it.

Without the stacks all those white walls would make the building even more warehouse like

ummmmm... you stopped me dead in my tracks when you mentioned your wet panties.  i don't know what else to think...

• Like 3

They need to erect a statue to whoever had the idea of building Discovery Green. It may the be single coolest game changer in Houston in the last decade. What a great place to have future New Year's Eve events. I'd love to see the GRB, the Hilton and the Marriott Marquis dripping in some serious lighting like Time Square.

• Like 1

They need to erect a statue to whoever had the idea of building Discovery Green. It may the be single coolest game changer in Houston in the last decade. What a great place to have future New Year's Eve events. I'd love to see the GRB, the Hilton and the Marriott Marquis dripping in some serious lighting like Time Square.

Like a bunch of LED advertisement billboards pasted all over the sides of those buildings? That would look terrible around discovery green imo. That could be cool somewhere around greenstreet/the new planned retail district though.