George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Looks like the real controlling factor here is land value in the area. Once it gets to where it costs less to repurpose the roof than it does to acquire land on the ground, the roof will be repurposed. Although since land on the ground is more desirable for most uses, it will probably have to go somewhat above land cost.

And it appears, based on the live loads, that the low-hanging fruit for repurposing would be parking.

I mean, You guys know that minute maid park is like... a few blocks away and it has... Stadium lighting.

And dynamo stadium.....

I was at a buddy's house right by dynamo stadium during a game one night, you could hear every word the PA announcer said and his apartment shook when the crowd roared. And the lights....forget it, it looked like Clark Griswold's house on Christmas was right outside my buddys window. And lets not the roof of Toyota Center at night.

Im pretty sure Top Golf pales in comparison.

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 2

I think it would be an idiotic idea.

The glare from the lights would be a driving hazard for those on the freeway, and an annoyance to those living nearby.

Wasn't this close to the same argument made against the Downtown Aquarium when the giant ferris wheel ride was going in? That the lights would be too bright, would be a distraction to motorists, and an annoyance to the lofts next door? How did that turn out.... 

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2734-multifamily-monday-aras-three-big-deal-sweet-spots/

Griffin Partners' Development Update  

Even though son Edward is on board as president, Griffin Partners founder Fred Griffin doesn't want to retire anytime soon. (There's only so much golf one can play in Houston heat during the summertime). Since he started the company in 1980, Griffin Partners has developed over 4M SF, and has owned over 10M SF, with 110 professionals tackling over 200 Houston development and advisory assignments annually. Current projects include serving as development manager for the redevelopment of the George R. Brown convention center, as well as building a 1,900-car garage topped with an office building and hotel. For more info on our sponsor, click here.

Edited by DrLan34

Wasn't this close to the same argument made against the Downtown Aquarium when the giant ferris wheel ride was going in? That the lights would be too bright, would be a distraction to motorists, and an annoyance to the lofts next door? How did that turn out.... 

Was this meant for the Armpits of Houston thread?  :ph34r:

The thing that drives me most batty about downtown Tillman Town is the random tooting of the piercing whistle on their little choo choo, that I can hear 6 blocks and over 40 stories away.

It looks like they're still considering their options for AVDA. This could pretty darn cool when completed.

I'm starting to get really excited for the entire east side of downtown. It has so many anchors - MMP, GRB, DG, Toyota Center, potentially Green Street if they can stay alive long enough for the neighborhood to grow up around it.

The triangle between Green Street, TC and GRB could be so cool. I think some big time mixed use projects would kill it here.

I wonder how much potential there is between MMP and the bayou.

• Like 1

There is so much potential between mmp and the bayou. As a matter of fact that is probably the least developed area and there is still frontage on the bayou for several block. I always hoped for a Calatrava type replacement for the Elysian viaduct. It would look amazing coming into town from I 10 east or 59 north!

• Like 1

There is so much potential between mmp and the bayou. As a matter of fact that is probably the least developed area and there is still frontage on the bayou for several block. I always hoped for a Calatrava type replacement for the Elysian viaduct. It would look amazing coming into town from I 10 east or 59 north!

The drunk tank and county jail are such a buzzkill. If those were your typical blighted near downtown Houston properties, we would probably already have someone building something cool there. Maybe the post office site will amount to something.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at all the change. I almost didn't even know where to place this photo:

15254592307_b3e5d9a4d3_h.jpg

Convention Center Parking Garage & Hotel by marclongoria, on Flickr

15254432110_7c9b1770ff_h.jpg

15254574647_292c15eddd_h.jpg

They installed a security shack here now with opening and closing gates:

15254549308_cb69b1ef9b_h.jpg

• Like 7