George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

14729992875_9aff8b8171_o.jpg

Cool pics.  

But really, in this age of helicopter parents and generalized fear of everything, what on earth is that kid doing downtown on his cute little bike (even if he IS wearing a helmet)?

• Like 1

Well, rendering art has its own set of artistic conventions, as does any genre.  More often than in reality they feature crowds of thin people, lights pointed at the sky, and Audi SUVs.  Here we see an extremely rare starlit night in Houston.

Anyway, those look like giant red clothespins holding up the lighting fixtures.

This is what it will look like when Disney holds their convention in Houston.

actually, this is what it shall look like if we dig CHARLOTTE from CHARLOTTE'S WEB out of her fairy tale grave.  wow, talk about a weave of terror!

• 2 weeks later...

ghpbuilding.jpeg

Greater Houston Partnership Building to go up next to downtown convention center

A 10-story Greater Houston Partnership Building and a parking garage behind it will be built directly north of the George R. Brown Convention Center.

The office building’s tenants will include the Greater Houston Partnership, Houston First Corp., the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Center for Houston’s Future, said Ric Campo, Houston First’s chairman. Plans for future tenants include the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority and the Hotel & Lodging Association of Greater Houston, he said.

The parking garage will hold 1,900 spaces.

Both the office building and parking garage will have street-level retail, likely restaurants, Campo said.

The building’s iconic feature will be a 2,000-square-foot terrace offering a panoramic look at Discovery Green park, several hotels, a soon-to-be-renovated convention center facade,  landscaped pedestrian walkways and sidewalk cafes as well as a dramatic view of the skyline, said Bob Harvey, president and CEO of the GHP.

Houston First owns the property and is developing the office/parking garage  project which will cost about $76 million, Campo said.

The GHP will have the top two floors, which include the terrace.

The  foundation of the office building was designed to allow it to support a future boutique hotel that would be built on top of it, Campo said.

Full Article: http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/08/greater-houston-partnership-building-to-go-up-next-to-downtown-convention-center/#21137101=0
  • Like 4

Within the context of its immediate neighbors, it will be noticeable.  It looks like the parking garage will be on the side facing the freeway - with any amount of luck, it will look better than the Allen Center garage.

I'm impressed that they are going to use this building to stuff the various quasi-government corporations into. Like I have said there is no need to have this be a skyscraper and if they didn't extend upward later...cool, but I don't think it's a big fuss. I do know one thing. The first thing that will be VE'ed out of this project is going to be that wood paneling on that patio lol. Hopefully it doesn't go because it actually looks alright up there.

...The building’s iconic feature will be a 2,000-square-foot terrace offering a panoramic look at Discovery Green park, several hotels, ....

Yea, you'll barely be able to see Discovery Green with the Marriott Marquis there.

I can't help but think of this side of downtown as being the back side of downtown.  Ever since the GRBCC was constructed and its long back side faced the elevated freeway, that's the ultimate impression I get.  I feel as though that stops high-rise development from happening on that side.  I guess when you have a front side (northwestern side), that's what you'll end up with.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

I'm impressed that they are going to use this building to stuff the various quasi-government corporations into.

Not only that, but this building and it's occupants should fit naturally well with its neighbors, GRBCC and the Nau Center. It's the perfect spot.

• Like 1

Yea, you'll barely be able to see Discovery Green with the Marriott Marquis there.

Actually, it should have a pretty good view.  The terrace will be above that portion of the Marriott Marquis (the southeast portion of the hotel is only 6 stories tall.  No see-through hotel tower required.  The terrace is also above and to the west of the front of the GRB, so it won't block the view either. 

I went to a planning workshop a few weeks back.  They've actually been thinking this whole hotel/office building/parking garage/GRB redevelopment thing through pretty carefully.

• Like 1

Actually, it should have a pretty good view. The terrace will be above that portion of the Marriott Marquis (the southeast portion of the hotel is only 6 stories tall. No see-through hotel tower required. The terrace is also above and to the west of the front of the GRB, so it won't block the view either.

I went to a planning workshop a few weeks back. They've actually been thinking this whole hotel/office building/parking garage/GRB redevelopment thing through pretty carefully.

Wouldn't the tower block most of it's* view?

edit: *its

Edited by Triton

Even if the view to Discovery Green is partially blocked I think we should be excited that this is happening. Not only will it be the perfect place for all of the convention center and Houston First offices, but it will be a dynamic place to court future convention

decision makers. To make it even better eventually there will be a hotel located on top and someone close to this project told me that the hotel will be sooner than later. Maybe in time for the super bowl. The other thing to be happy about with this project is that theres one less vacant lot. Now the most vacant area in downtown seems to be the area just north of  Minute Maid. If you look on the construction cam for Hines new building you can see the concrete wasteland I'm referring to.

• Like 1

Even if the view to Discovery Green is partially blocked I think we should be excited that this is happening. Not only will it be the perfect place for all of the convention center and Houston First offices, but it will be a dynamic place to court future convention

decision makers. To make it even better eventually there will be a hotel located on top and someone close to this project told me that the hotel will be sooner than later. Maybe in time for the super bowl. The other thing to be happy about with this project is that theres one less vacant lot. Now the most vacant area in downtown seems to be the area just north of  Minute Maid. If you look on the construction cam for Hines new building you can see the concrete wasteland I'm referring to.

Well, it was never a vacant lot... it was simply a parking lot.

But I do agree, it's still a great addition. Just wish they would be a little bit more realistic on the type of views that balcony would have. Sell it, but don't over sell it.

Edit: does anyone have a link to that 609 Main webcam? I'm at work and don't have access to my bookmarks to that webcam.

Edited by Triton

Well, it was never a vacant lot... it was simply a parking lot.

But I do agree, it's still a great addition. Just wish they would be a little bit more realistic on the type of views that balcony would have. Sell it, but don't over sell it.

Edit: does anyone have a link to that 609 Main webcam? I'm at work and don't have access to my bookmarks to that webcam.

Here it is.      http://oxblue.com/open/Hines/609Main

• Like 1