George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Theres going to be a solid concentration of light-blue glass skyscrapers in downtown houston by the time all these projects are done. I hope architects aren't overdoing this design.

While I get your point.. Note this is a conceptual rendering and the final design is up to the chosen hotel.

• Like 1

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on this being an Omni.  Most other convention hotels and mid level hotels are already in the area or have a proprety downtown except the Omni who only has 2 other properties in Houston (galleria area and energy corridor).  Also from what I remember they were in the running for the second convention center hotel but were not selected so there was interest in downtown Houston.

• Like 1

I'm so glad to see the hotel kick-started.  I was worried that if it were put off then it would never get done.  Downtown still needs more hotel spaces, and this is a perfect location.  The proximity of the assorted civic booster organizations in the office section makes sense too, since presumably they host a number of out-of-town visitors.  The only other thing this building needs is a major restaurant on the ground floor!

Dang we still need more!? Lol

• Like 1

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on this being an Omni. Most other convention hotels and mid level hotels are already in the area or have a proprety downtown except the Omni who only has 2 other properties in Houston (galleria area and energy corridor). Also from what I remember they were in the running for the second convention center hotel but were not selected so there was interest in downtown Houston.

While that makes perfect sense.. How many 4* hotels do we need around the convention center? There are already 2 1,000 room 4* hotels.. That's why I figured this might be a 5*. The Four Seasons is the closest 5* hotel to the CC. But maybe they will try to keep it more affordable and go with a 3 star or something?

A hotel needs to achieve its rating based on quality/services/performance.  They simply do not "build" a hotel - and say "this is 5-Star."  Kind of like a restaurant earning its ratings based on the quality of the foods and service.  This is my assumption.

I'd assume this hotel would tend to end up being a "typical" upper-middle scale hotel.  Doubtful its a luxury hotel or even more doubtful it being a 5-star hotel.  I would also assume *most* convention goers would rather simply have a nice hotel - to an ultra luxury 5-star hotel (and its prices).

Also, I'm under the impression this is almost a "stock" image of what they assume the hotel will look like?  Is that not right?  I don't think that's the final design, that would be dependant upon the hotel that elects to occupy this space and their requirements.  Perhaps I'm wrong on all accounts.

• Like 1

A hotel needs to achieve its rating based on quality/services/performance. They simply do not "build" a hotel - and say "this is 5-Star." Kind of like a restaurant earning its ratings based on the quality of the foods and service. This is my assumption.

I'd assume this hotel would tend to end up being a "typical" upper-middle scale hotel. Doubtful its a luxury hotel or even more doubtful it being a 5-star hotel. I would also assume *most* convention goers would rather simply have a nice hotel - to an ultra luxury 5-star hotel (and its prices).

Also, I'm under the impression this is almost a "stock" image of what they assume the hotel will look like? Is that not right? I don't think that's the final design, that would be dependant upon the hotel that elects to occupy this space and their requirements. Perhaps I'm wrong on all accounts.

The article pointed out that the rendering was conceptual. Whatever brand chooses this location will have their own design.

I don't see the Ritz/Mandarin/whatever popping up here.

• Like 2

The article pointed out that the rendering was conceptual. Whatever brand chooses this location will have their own design.

I don't see the Ritz/Mandarin/whatever popping up here.

I think that this is Correct. In my opinion, This will likely be a "business class" hotel if the primary market is conventions.

• Like 1

Is it just. Me or have they waited too long on this project to have it ready by the Super Bowl? They need to select a company, ratify a design and build into a market with labor shortages. They have a little over two years (needs to be open in Fall or 2016 IMO if it will be ready for the Super Bowl).

My guess is that this one won't be ready in time.......

There are now barriers around the entire property where the parking garage and office/hotel will go in. Same barriers you would see at 609 Main, for example. The only side that doesn't have barriers is along the light rail line to the north.

• Like 3

There are now barriers around the entire property where the parking garage and office/hotel will go in. Same barriers you would see at 609 Main, for example. The only side that doesn't have barriers is along the light rail line to the north.

14834130520_5eb11f6856_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.14.10 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Digging up the lot for the parking garage:

14834250557_dffe14b88b_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.15.15 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Entire area fenced off on both sides:

15020409472_8227a04030_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.15.30 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Sidewalk is now covered for parking garage construction:

14997778266_5feabeca93_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.16.30 by marclongoria, on Flickr

15017718071_dd908c7e36_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.17.39 by marclongoria, on Flickr

15017719921_ca88aa6c3b_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.18.32 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14834168148_435404dadf_h.jpg

2014-08-23 17.18.41 by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 9

From GRB facebook page

10507041_10152708859747741_1295680756489

Workers are scraping the ground at the north end of the GRB in preparation for construction of the new office tower/hotel/parking garage complex that is in the works. Here is a project rendering and a photo of site prep work now under way.

• Like 5

From the development map, it looks like they will build on both sides of the rail line and the train will pass through the parking garage through a tunnel. Has anyone released blueprints or a sketch on how the rail will interact with the building?