George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

awesome.. thanks for the schematics. is the interstitial space just a void where the pool(s) dip down into? i figured they would put an outdoor pool above the "perch".

also looking at the first picture in the quote.. GRB MP 2025 had always planned for their to eventually be a "four corner" approach to the hotels, with 2 across 59. now that this hotel is moving forward on this side of 59 it makes sense to me looking at that layout that they would build a 4th hotel on top of the GRB 2025 expansion to the south/right of the picture,t to complete the 4 corners, without having to cross under the highway.

and what is "the cloud"? i hope its not some rip off of Chicagos Cloud Gate (though thats a great piece)

This will be one busy, multipurpose building. Office/Hotel/Bus Station/Restaurant/Parking Garage/Lift Rail Tunnel-Station... This really feels like "outside-the-box" thinking. Love it.

Seriously.. This might just be the most mixed use building in all of Houston.

How many cranes should we expect for this one? 2 for the office/hotel, and one for the garage? That whole avenue down Rusk/Capital should be covered in cranes by the new year.

Woah. I just noticed they cut ADLA off completely I front of the middle and south sides of GRB, between the underground garage entrance and the street at Hilton Americas..

Edited by cloud713

Im having trouble understanding exactly how ADLA will function. Will it be open during "non-event" periods for traffic (4 lanes)? What are: 1) the Gardens 2) the Stage 3) the Wharf 4) the Cloud and 5) the Gallery? I take it that some of these (like the stage) can be assembled and disassembled. But not others (i.e. the Gardens and the Wharf). BYW, what is the Wharf - I imagine it is fountain like structures?. What is the Gallery?

Im having trouble understanding exactly how ADLA will function. Will it be open during "non-event" periods for traffic (4 lanes)? What are: 1) the Gardens 2) the Stage 3) the Wharf 4) the Cloud and 5) the Gallery? I take it that some of these (like the stage) can be assembled and disassembled. But not others (i.e. the Gardens and the Wharf). BYW, what is the Wharf - I imagine it is fountain like structures?. What is the Gallery?

ADLA will be half its current size.  Basically, the east half of the street (from the current median to the GRB, will be converted to what you see in the renderings.  The west half of the street (the current southbound side) will be converted to 2-way traffic.

ADLA will be half its current size.  Basically, the east half of the street (from the current median to the GRB, will be converted to what you see in the renderings.  The west half of the street (the current southbound side) will be converted to 2-way traffic.

Thanks 19514. Any ideas on the permanance of those other things I mentioned? (i.e. gallery, wharf, etc.)

Edited by Grizzly46

Thanks 19514. Any ideas on the permanance of those other things I mentioned? (i.e. gallery, wharf, etc.)

I don't know the details of those specific items, but since they are on the plan documents, I would presume they are "permanent".   I know one of the ideas being discussed was to have spaces for exhibitions of artwork.  Perhaps that is the "Gallery" space.  And the "Stage" space is fairly obvious (space for performances has also been pretty prominently discussed.)  The Gardens, the Cloud, and the Wharf are a little less obvious.  I'm eager to see more detail as this develops.

Michelle Jarre was his name and it was the largest public crowd ever assembled, according to Guiness book of records, until he performed it in Paris or Japan and they had a larger crowd. We walked from West Dallas and Taft to sit on

Allen Parkway in front of the old Jeff Davis Hospital, and watched in amazement. It was a sea of people on both sides of the bayou from downtown to Shepherd and the Pierce elevated shut down during the performance due to grid lock.

Truly amazing.He was set up in front of allen center and played his keyboard while a dance group repelled down the

sides of Allen center four. He dedicated the performance to the shuttle crew that died and Kirk Whalum, a local Jazz

sax player who was friends with one of the astronauts played a specially composed piece for the concert. Of course a

few years later they had the power of Houston which was another amazing spectacle.

The best fireworks I've seen here though was the opening of the GRB. They brought in an Italian Fireworks company that had cascading fireworks that rolled over the roof onto the ground like a huge waterfall. It was beautiful.

This will be one busy, multipurpose building. Office/Hotel/Bus Station/Restaurant/Parking Garage/Lift Rail Tunnel-Station... This really feels like "outside-the-box" thinking. Love it.

When it was originally announced that ADLA would be reconfigured and bus drop off moved to the side of GRB, I was initially concerned. But relocating the convention bus drop off to be within the new GHP building, easily connected to 2 hotels & the convention center itself is simply a brilliant idea. Masterful planning.

• Like 1

ADLA will be half its current size. Basically, the east half of the street (from the current median to the GRB, will be converted to what you see in the renderings. The west half of the street (the current southbound side) will be converted to 2-way traffic.

I thought I heard this too but it doesn't appear to be true. Look at slides 8 and 21. It seems that they are CLOSING the ADLA (both sides) from the underground garage entrance southward. Thereby fully connecting GRB to Disco. ADLA will be four lanes of traffic (two in and two out) from the Northside of the GRB to the underground entrance only.

Am I missing something?

Edit.....

Now, if you look at the last picture in the post above, it makes sense. You can see that the "blue cube box" that is in disco now (stairs to garage), is in the rendering. The new space shown is permenant new "park" space that connects the GRB to disco. The road is completely gone in this section.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I thought I heard this too but it doesn't appear to be true. Look at slides 8 and 21. It seems that they are CLOSING the ADLA (both sides) from the underground garage entrance southward. Thereby fully connecting GRB to Disco. ADLA will be four lanes of traffic (two in and two out) from the Northside of the GRB to the underground entrance only.

Am I missing something?

That's what I'm seeing as well...?