George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

• 4 weeks later...

Anything on this project as of late? I just found a pic in the May 2014 update of the development plan that really got me excited. I would think by this point that the design phase would at least be coming to a close.

• 3 weeks later...

10259802_10152547508537741_8785177905910

https://www.facebook.com/GRBHouston/photos/a.220852267740.140461.50118257740/10152547508537741/?type=1&theater

Along with a new convention center hotel, the GRB is having some construction done on the north-end ramp. The current ramp will be rerouted to wrap under 59 to make way for a 1,900-car parking garage with office space!

• Like 3

I sat in the parking lot across the street from this yesterday and watched as the caterpillar, I'm not exactly sure what they call it destroyed the ramp while on top of it working its way down the ramp. Lots of clouds of dust. By the way, they are really making headway on the hole for the hotel. It also looked as though they were tearing down another building between 59 and the B.U.S. Probably in preparation for the Historical Building being developed with John Naus' support.

I'm not sure why the GRB Facebook page didn't include that the new ramps are already starting to be built!

14183611180_5105571c04_h.jpg

2014-06-07 19.22.00 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14369247014_74116fbd9c_h.jpg

2014-06-07 19.21.52 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14370161975_a15969c8f9_h.jpg

2014-06-07 19.23.02 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14366846781_e84505a7ea_h.jpg

2014-06-07 19.21.48 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14183716327_a222e84513_h.jpg

2014-06-07 19.22.06 by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 2

I don't know how old you are.  I think Houston will be a Global City in 10 years.  Two International airports, the port Houston is ready for the Panama construction to be completed and Houston is the 12th largest port in the world.  The largest medical center in the world.  And more companies will move here. :o

• Like 1

I don't know how old you are.  I think Houston will be a Global City in 10 years.  Two International airports, the port Houston is ready for the Panama construction to be completed and Houston is the 12th largest port in the world.  The largest medical center in the world.  And more companies will move here. :o

^ (SFX:  Confused Scooby Doo noise)

The original renderings looked better.

Well the original renderings were more focused on rendering razzle-dazze, eg spectacular rainbow light effects, Jeff Koons art and Anna Wintour sitting on the sidewalk outside.  Also, they managed to obscure Avenida de la Americas running along the GRB in front.  I think those were made more to make the project look glamorous and sell the city on pumping out more money.  The newer renderings are I assume more realistic.

• Like 2

If I remember correctly the original renderings were meant to convey what the area would look like during large conventions or festivals when the road would be blocked for pedestrians. This is more of an everyday rendering. I think it's just fine. Seriously....lets just play it cool.

imo HAIF mates.. we that constantly peruse this wonderful forum, have all become more than accustomed to the evolution of "renderings".  to some degree, i shall stand with luminare, upon his approach that the original renderings were prepared to convey just what would transpire during a large populace descending upon downtown as per a superbowl, festival, concert, you name it.  however, since we all are keenly aware that this city is now under serious preparations as per the forthcoming SUPERBOWL 17... we should bare in mind that the renderings / depictions as per the GRB, shall be evolving as well.

it has been stated beforehand, that there shall be an edifice located at the top of the now under construction GRB GARAGE.  to my knowledge, it has not as of yet been hereby determined just what has been decided upon the overall concept. BOUTIQUE HOTEL vs OFFICE BUILDING.. or maybe even a bit of both.  thus far, all that we have become aware of... and i am most certain that you all shall agree, is that they shall need to move rapidly upon this decision.  this shall be in lieu of the constraints of time.  SUPERBOWL 17, is now upon it's way.  therefore, the element of time, is certainly of the essence.  i strongly suspect that city of houston officials, are working diligently, trying in earnest to come forth with the ultimate plan(s) that shall satisfy most everyone in regards to this particular area.  with the backdrop as per SUPERBOWL 17 looming forward, we simply have no choice.  success, along this front, shall go a long way upon houston's future convention standings.        

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

imo HAIF mates.. we that constantly peruse this wonderful forum, have all become more than accustomed to the evolution of "renderings". to some degree, i shall stand with luminare, upon his approach that the original renderings were prepared to convey just what would transpire during a large populace descending upon downtown as per a superbowl, festival, concert, you name it. however, since we all are keenly aware that this city is now under serious preparations as per the forthcoming SUPERBOWL 17... we should bare in mind that the renderings / depictions as per the GRB, shall be evolving as well.

it has been stated beforehand, that there shall be an edifice located at the top of the now under construction GRB GARAGE. to my knowledge, it has not as of yet been hereby determined just what has been decided upon the overall concept. BOUTIQUE HOTEL vs OFFICE BUILDING.. or maybe even a bit of both. thus far, all that we have become aware of... and i am most certain that you all shall agree, is that they shall need to move rapidly upon this decision. this shall be in lieu of the constraints of time. SUPERBOWL 17, is now upon it's way. therefore, the element of time, is certainly of the essence. i strongly suspect that city of houston officials, are working diligently, trying in earnest to come forth with the ultimate plan(s) that shall satisfy most everyone in regards to this particular area. with the backdrop as per SUPERBOWL 17 looming forward, we simply have no choice. success, along this front, shall go a long way upon houston's future convention standings.

The front of the GRB garage will be an office building for Houston First's offices. All that's being built on top of the garage is a pad site for a future hotel.

• Like 1

The original renderings looked better.

The design hasn't changed in the original renderings. Like others have said, the original renderings depict a festival/larger convention atmosphere. Also, the original renderings were more up close shots of the new glass facade at the center of GRB. This new renderings shows a more overall view of the entire RGB facade with the new glass facade in the center.

What could really help Houston First & GRB with its festival promenade boulevard effort for Avenida de las Americas is if they were to move most of the festivals that take place at City Hall & Tranquility Park to Avenida de las Americas as block parties. ADLA & Discovery Green offers plenty of room to handle these events and could provide the entertainment angle GRB/Houston First seeks to attract conventions to book here. And for the public & traffic, East End rail offers a train stop 2 blocks north.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

I think that this is what they had in mind when they came up with the overall plan. I know they talked about creating some kind of an art space also at one point during the conversations, to help create more of a walkable area around the convention center to capture some of that market. Obviously once those sort of venues appear, they'll attract more retail and one will feed off the other. That's also why they are building the Nau history museum in that area. This area will continue to become more of a magnet with Toyota Center, Minute Maid, BBVA Compass stadium, Discovery Green, and the convention center. I'm surprised one of the oil companies hasn't put in a really nice convenience store and gas station yet. Surely there is a need and plenty of cars in the area to make it work. I know when we lived in the Wagon Works building a few years back there was nothing in the area. They were just breaking ground on Enron Stadium.

Edited by bobruss