Post Oak Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

Marfrelees gets it for Most Embarrassing Bar to be seen in.

Best Irish Pub - Kenneallys on Shepherd (as a bit of disclosure, I think I am probably their longest continuous customer ^_^ ).

Best CD store - Cactus (RIP). Only store in town that had a section devoted to surf music. B)

Best coffee joint - Diedrichs. Free wi-fi, background music is soft classical instead of Starbuck's cheesy adult contemporary CD of the week, and they let you buy something without trying to sell you something else ("would you like a pastry with that?") Only complaint is that seating is limited, and they fill up.

sherlocks is good.. but have ya tried Cecil's on west grey... realllly cheap also.

The Shiloh Club on Studewood. $1.25 ice cold beers and that ain't Happy Hour.

Best Bar to get in a fight with 21 year olds who think they own the pool tables: Cecil's

Best Bar to get kicked out of: The Shadow bar downtown. Don't even begin to ask why I was there or why, at 33, I am getting kicked out of clubs.

Best Place to get a bowl-of-melted-cheese-disguised-as-a-meal: The Black Lab

Edited by heights_yankee

Best Boudin-Stuffed Pork Chops: Guy's Meat Market

Best Cheesesteak South of Philly: South Philly Steaks

Best Meal for Two for less than $3.00: Vegetable Lo Mein at Original Timmy Chan's

Best Target to check out Hot Chicks: Target on South Main

Best Corner Grocery Store: KG Food Center, 7302 Tierwester

Best Dirty Rice: Frenchy's

My favorite view would be from that courthouse that was built in downtown in the late 90's. Some serious density one can see from up there.

Here is the view I am speaking of. Anyone know how to get up there?

a2sv.jpg

Walk in the entrance, go through the metal detector, take the elavator to your preferred floor, and start taking pics. ;)

The courthouses are public. On the north and south ends of the hallways in the Criminal Courts Building, there are floor to ceiling windows, allowing the grand view you see in that photo. While the Federal Courthouse will not let you take a camera inside the building, I am aware of no such restriction in the Harris County Courthouses.

Well, certainly, the higher the better is one theory. However, a lower level shot might give a good view too.

The layout is as follows. First floor, lobby and elevators. 2nd through 7th floors are clerks, DA, and other clerical. No window access. 8th through 11th, courtrooms, window access. 12th, no public access. 13th, future expansion. 14th through 19th, courtrooms, public access. 20th floor, ceremonial courtroom, public access.

The north windows have some great views of the bayou, Hardy Yards, etc.

Best hidden treasure: kayaking on Buffalo Bayou through Bayou Bend and Memorial Park.

Which I've wanted to do for awhile...

Where are cheap Kayak/Canoe rentals? Are there any actually on the bayou somewhere ?

Also, since you've done it before.. whats the best way to go about it...

Park downstream at Allans, paddle upstream and float back

or

Start way upstream, and have someone else meet you downstream with your truck?

Cheapest Drinks Inside the Loop (where you won't get stabbed) - Sherlock's Pub, W. Gray
Actually I believe the cheapest drinks title belongs to Valhalla's on Rice University's campus. Last time I was there (although it's been a couple of years), I believe it was $0.40 for most draft beers, and $0.25 for the Pearl Bock. They may have come up since then...
What in the world is a boudin stuffed pork chop?

A boudin-stuffed pork chop is a butterflied pork chop stuffed with boudin.

Guy's Meat Market sells the best boudin I've had. They don't make it themselves, but it's made here in Houston...reportedly by a guy from so far down in the swamps that doesn't even speak English! Very good stuff.

Of course, you can't eat at Guy's. The only hot food they sell is their BBQ and smoked hamburgers. But you've got to eat it in your car or take it home. No tables.

Which I've wanted to do for awhile...

Where are cheap Kayak/Canoe rentals? Are there any actually on the bayou somewhere ?

Also, since you've done it before.. whats the best way to go about it...

Park downstream at Allans, paddle upstream and float back

or

Start way upstream, and have someone else meet you downstream with your truck?

Start upstream near Waugh or thereabouts and head back west. Most people will tell you to start downtown at Allen's Landing, which is indeed cool, but navigating your kayak on foot through that area of downtown and down to the Bayou can be a little oft-putting.

Sadly, I don't really know of any place to rent Kayaks. I know there are places in the Kemah area but that's out of the way, obviously.

Also, if you're going to do it, do it now or in April before the mosquitoes really have a chance to get going. "Off" is nice and all but even that loses it's affectiveness after a while.

Start upstream near Waugh or thereabouts and head back west. Most people will tell you to start downtown at Allen's Landing, which is indeed cool, but navigating your kayak on foot through that area of downtown and down to the Bayou can be a little oft-putting.

Sadly, I don't really know of any place to rent Kayaks. I know there are places in the Kemah area but that's out of the way, obviously.

Also, if you're going to do it, do it now or in April before the mosquitoes really have a chance to get going. "Off" is nice and all but even that loses it's affectiveness after a while.

Is Rainbow lodge just a restaurant ? Seems like some of the Bayou Partnership Canoe tours start from there.

Does anyone know if there is actually a launch and rental facility there ?

Is Rainbow lodge just a restaurant ? Seems like some of the Bayou Partnership Canoe tours start from there.

Does anyone know if there is actually a launch and rental facility there ?

I understand that starting out near the Beltway and wrapping up in the East End makes for a good (albeit long) trip. I've also seen that a new concrete landing with stairs has been built along the south bank of the bayou and on the west side of the York/Sampson bridge. Alternatively, the Lockwood bridge is also a good take-out and also provides for shaded parking.

I've never done this either, although I've been meaning to for some time.

Actually I believe the cheapest drinks title belongs to Valhalla's on Rice University's campus. Last time I was there (although it's been a couple of years), I believe it was $0.40 for most draft beers, and $0.25 for the Pearl Bock. They may have come up since then...

A boudin-stuffed pork chop is a butterflied pork chop stuffed with boudin.

Oh geeez, you had to bring up Valhalla's. I've spent a few evenings blindly walking around the campus after drinking to many of those cheap beers. Really cool for a cheap night.

Best place to get chow-chow: Antoine's Po Boys

Best place to forget your parking brake and watch you car roll 50 feet down the concrete embankment into the big scary drainage ditch: the Antoine's parking lot

Best place to see how fast your car can go: 288 @ 2 am

runner up: hardy tollroad airport extension @ anytime

Edited by zaphod

• 4 weeks later...