Post Oak Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

Favorite vegetarian dish: the famous Tofu with Lemon Grass at Mais. I am personally responsible for getting several others addicted to this. :D

Hunan Village on Shepherd is indeed the place for vegetarian Chinese. They have a whole menu section devoted to tofu variants. I like "VD6" myself (dry shredded bean curd or something like that).

Also, if you like Mediterranean, DiMassis has a pretty decent selection of non-meat items in their buffet: spinach, green beans, beans, hummus, salads, etc etc.

I've heard of that Lankford place but haven't tried it.

i would love any recommendations you may have, here are mine:

favorite houston vegetarian dish: "VD2" (general tso's veg chicken)

from hunan village on shepherd -- it's a great ice breaker on dates...

I bet it is. I could just see myself asking my first-date if she wanted to share some "VD" with me! :P

I've heard of that Lankford place but haven't tried it.

i would recommend that place totally. it is near downtown, a real neighborhood

diner type of feel, genuinely nice people, good value and good coffee --- not really

a fancy brunch place, though. toast comes with refilled coffee for $1.50 and there's

a breakfast burrito for $2 that's basically a medium sized omelette in a tortilla with

salsa. get oatmeal with little bowls of cinnamon, raisins and brown sugar to fix how

you

Hey, don't knock a good ol' bean pie with a side of alfalfa sprouts. MMMMmmmmmm, WHO"S HUNGRY !?

bleh

that's the problem unless i am feeling exceptionally unhealthy,

i don't eat that stuff. i'm not a hippie new ager, i'm just not

eating meat. hypocritically, i do eat seafood though.

i am not a vegetarian but the Hobbit Cafe on Richmond has some good vegetarian dishes.

Plus its a great place to sit out on the patio and drink their homemade lemonade.

Edited by gnu

hippies

:lol::lol:

Oh you wacky meat-eaters!

There is a great selection of vegetarian take-out items at Whole Foods. Best salad bar in town imo. Hobbit is good, but for some reason I never think of going there. Bad location I guess.

Btw Patu is great for veg. Thai. The buffet usually has 3-4 vegetable/tofu dishes, and you can order a lot that way on the dinner menu.

One of my best friends is vegan, and his boyfriend is vegetarian. So, as a result, I end up eating a lot of vegetarian food out with them. Some of the best I've had has been at Mai's (I almost always order tofu there as opposed to meat), Hobbit Cafe, Whole Foods, Tien Ren, Hunan Village (they have lots of tofu "meats") and Pepper Tree. There are usually very good vegetarian selections at most other Asian and Indian restaurants as well. Typically it's the more traditional American places where vegetarian food beyond a salad is harder to find. We've also found that it's hard to get vegetarian food at most Mexican restaurants, because often the cooking methods used for dishes that could be vegetarian involve things like chicken stock or lard. Of course, as a carnivore, this does not bother me, but it limits the choices of places I can go with my vegetarian friends.

One of my best friends is vegan, and his boyfriend is vegetarian. So, as a result, I end up eating a lot of vegetarian food out with them. Some of the best I've had has been at Mai's (I almost always order tofu there as opposed to meat), Hobbit Cafe, Whole Foods, Tien Ren, Hunan Village (they have lots of tofu "meats") and Pepper Tree. There are usually very good vegetarian selections at most other Asian and Indian restaurants as well. Typically it's the more traditional American places where vegetarian food beyond a salad is harder to find. We've also found that it's hard to get vegetarian food at most Mexican restaurants, because often the cooking methods used for dishes that could be vegetarian involve things like chicken stock or lard. Of course, as a carnivore, this does not bother me, but it limits the choices of places I can go with my vegetarian friends.

Ah the gays, some of the coolest people on Earth!! Maybe they would know of a good Indian restaurant for vegetarian dishes. That would be worth a shot........

Madras Pavillion on Kirby (between Richmond and the Southwest Freeway) is a good all-vegetarian Indian restaurant. Shiva, in Rice Village, is also excellent and offers both meat and vegetable entr

Ahh.. Been going to Hunan Village for years. Mia's is really good too, as is Mo Mong for vegatarian fare. We really like the Veggie Penang and Veggie Basil at Thai Choice out at Westheimer and Wilcrest.

As a nod to our friend Editor, next time you guys are in Chicago, you MUST (must!) have a meal at Chicago Diner on N. Halsted. I go every few months and it never ceases to amaze me that I'm not eating meat. Their Philly cheese 'steak' is out of this world and the service is great.

http://veggiediner.com/menus.html

Edited by travelguy_73

Just because lettuce doesn't have a face, it still comes from a HEAD, and it TOO was alive at some point, you damn long-haired hippie freaks remember THAT when you are murdering and smothering it in Ranch Dressing!

Just because lettuce doesn't have a face, it still comes from a HEAD, and it TOO was alive at some point, you damn long-haired hippie freaks remember THAT when you are murdering and smothering it in Ranch Dressing!

the poor tomatoes.

Very true. American and Mexican restaurants almost never have decent non-meat choices. They always revolve around "chicken or beef, chicken or beef", as if those were the primary foods in the world. The token vegetarian dish is inevitably grilled squash and zucchini. Pretty boring.

Where is Tien Ren?

• 3 weeks later...

there is a thai restaurant on 610n & w12th street next to whataburger (i can't remember the name) but they have amazing GINGER CASHEW tofu. easily my favorite dish in houston.

the bean burritto at teotihuacan on airline is unbeatable. also probably the least healthy veg dish. covered in queso.

veing thai 6929 Long Point is great i love the ginger curry tofu and the hot basil fried rice.

Guest pode101

Great thread as my wife is a vegetarian and we are always looking for new places! Here are a couple of our recommended eats:

Baba Yega has a fantatstic club sandwich with fakin' bacon and wheat gluten. They have many veg options too.

Niko Niko's has the best spanikopita plate

Barnaby's Veggie burger is top notch

Ming's veggie lo mein is sooo good

Azuma's veggie sushi plate is the absolute best I have come across

Now a request, any good Indian places in the montrose area? The one on Kirby is so, so. I miss the place from Shepherd Plaza on Richmond, they had a great buffet.

Field of Greens has an awesome fakin bacon BLT! As a matter of fact, Field of Greens has A LOT of vegetarian sandwiches, burgers and entrees and they are good!

I highly recommend the fettucine with soy alfredo. If you didn't know, you'd think it was cream! oh, and that BLT... it's real good!

I too recommend the VD2 from Hunan Village, although if you don't ask for light sauce, it could be too sweet.

Great thread as my wife is a vegetarian and we are always looking for new places! Here are a couple of our recommended eats:

Baba Yega has a fantatstic club sandwich with fakin' bacon and wheat gluten. They have many veg options too.

Niko Niko's has the best spanikopita plate

Barnaby's Veggie burger is top notch

Ming's veggie lo mein is sooo good

Azuma's veggie sushi plate is the absolute best I have come across

Now a request, any good Indian places in the montrose area? The one on Kirby is so, so. I miss the place from Shepherd Plaza on Richmond, they had a great buffet.

They were good. They moved to Southwest Fwy & Beltway, on the feeder past the car dealers. I saw it there but haven't been to that location.