Post Oak Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

Where will the yuppies park?  There is no parking as it is.

Totally correct. I went to get some Ice Cream last night and the parking lot was completetly full. There was not much big in terms of sports on TV, but still not enough parking for BW3. I can not believe another resturant / coffee house is opening up there. If you can't find a spot nearby to park then you will most likely go elsewhere.

^  and right here is the reason developers keep building business structures with surface parking attached.

I don't understand how this is the smart solution - i.e. structures with surface parking attached. It would seem to me that there must be much more logical solutions with long-term objectives in mind for the area.

If this is the reason that developers keep building business structure with surface parking attached, then I can't help but conclude that these developers are short-sighted.

I don't understand how this is the smart solution - i.e. structures with surface parking attached.  It would seem to me that there must be much more logical solutions with long-term objectives in mind for the area. 

If this is the reason that developers keep building business structure with surface parking attached, then I can't help but conclude that these developers are short-sighted.

It is probably cheaper for them to build surface parking rather than buidling multi-story parking structure or providing underground parking. Since there are no restrictions/ordinances in places to force the developers pursue those options, they would do whats cheapest for them. And therein lies the reason behind ugly features of our city such as strip centers with bland/tasteless facades, huge surface parking lots and that thin, yellow building in Uptown.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Deco last night. Cool interior, great bartenders. Kind of early when I went, so not that full, at least inside, didn't see the patio. More a of laid back lounge atmosphere. Two nice plasmas on the wall (standard now I guess), nice bar stool area, and then a few couches and a patio. I guess Thursday was the big opening party, and now they are waiting on word of mouth to spread. Crowd was mixed. Definitely a nice addition to the Midtown scene.

Hopefully it will work out.

I went to Deco.

Ho hum. Yawn. Beautiful place, but at the end of the day, it's just another bar in midtown. Midtown does not need another bar.

Plus, Deco has a bad location. The front entrance is at the back of the shopping plaza. That would be ok, IF the windows weren't covered with curtains. The averge joe walking or driving by wouldn't know what it was.

Now we have to gear up for Pub Fiction (another bar) which will open in a month or two, and Christian's Tailgate (another bar) which is going to open later this month.

For some reason, all we're getting are bars, lounges and sports bars. I've got plenty of places to grab a beer and the game, plenty of places to get drunk at after the game, but few places to get a decent meal and buy a few more retail items.

I went to Deco on Friday night with friends and had a good time. We sat outside on the porch. On Saturday, i went and tried out their coffee. During the day they are a coffee bar. The coffee was suprisingly good. I agree that there are lots of bars around the area - but a good coffeehouse? It's severely lacking.

Im spoke to the owners and they were ironing out all the teething problems before marketing.

I probably won't go there much at night. But I will definitely be going there to gat a cup of joe on the weekends! Plus they have free wifi internet unlike other places...

I went to Deco.

Ho hum. Yawn. Beautiful place, but at the end of the day, it's just another bar in midtown. Midtown does not need another bar.

Plus, Deco has a bad location. The front entrance is at the back of the shopping plaza. That would be ok, IF the windows weren't covered  with curtains. The averge joe walking or driving by wouldn't know what it was.

Now we have to gear up for Pub Fiction (another bar) which will open in a month or two, and Christian's Tailgate (another bar) which is going to open later this month.

For some reason, all we're getting are bars, lounges and sports bars. I've got plenty of places to grab a beer and the game, plenty of places to get drunk at after the game, but few places to get a decent meal and buy a few more retail items.

I probably won't go there much at night.  But I will definitely be going there to gat a cup of joe on the weekends!  Plus they have free wifi internet unlike other places...

Have not made it there at night but met up with some co-workers during the day for coffee. The wi-fi made working there easy. Had been looking for a place that had wireless to meet with people - this place is perfect for it.

• 1 month later...

What are the best sushi places in town? Please say what type of Sushi place you are recommending (the one with the conveyer belt style or sit down and order from a menu)

My wife and I are addicted to Sushi and would like to find some restaurant when we move to Houston soon.

All Hail Sushi! The King of Foods!

I love it too. There are a number of good sushi places around town, although no conveyer-belt style ones that I am aware of. Having been in both types, I prefer the menu style.

Here is another thread with some recommendations:

Japanese restaurants

Btw people often say that the sushi here is good because of the availability of fresh fish compared to some places.

This is great!

I love it too.  There are a number of good sushi places around town, although no conveyer-belt style ones that I am aware of.  Having been in both types, I prefer the menu style. 
I kinda like the menu style too. But the conveyer-belt has its advantages, mainly INSTANT GRATIFICATION. Some times my wife and I will back from work tired and very hungry and want to eat right away. And the sushi place with the conveyer-belt is just a mile and a half away (there is even another one couple of block away). From the time you make the decision to the time you have the food in your mouth could be no more than 15 min. LOL.
Here is another thread with some recommendations:

Japanese restaurants

So all (or most) of these restaurant serve sushi? I've been in Japanese restaurant before that don't. The type that you sit around the grill and you have an acrobatic chef preparing the food in front of you. I don't know what this style is called. If you could name a few sushi places and were they are located I'll appreciate it.

Btw people often say that the sushi here is good because of the availability of fresh fish compared to some places.

I look forward to it.

So all (or most) of these restaurant serve sushi? I've been in Japanese restaurant before that don't. The type that you sit around the grill and you have an acrobatic chef preparing the food in front of you. I don't know what this style is called. If you could name a few sushi places and were they are located I'll appreciate it.

I look forward to it.

that's hibachi style, about half the hibachi restaurants i've been to have sushi as well. ichibon in kemah has excellent hibachi and sushi.

i like blue fish house on richmond. wasabi right downtown (bayou place) is ok and a bit expensive, but great for a quick bite before/after a show.

here's a list:

b4-u-eat

The type that you sit around the grill and you have an acrobatic chef preparing the food in front of you. I don't know what this style is called.

Like BeniHana. Somehow I never thought of that as real Japanese. At the Benihana downtown they started using the bar for a sushi bar. You can tell it's an afterthought.

Cafe Japon, Miyako (both consistent IMO), Sushi King, Yan, Fish, (crowd watching), Rickshaw (Thursday night about 9pm when the DJ starts spinning), Kirin for lunch (buffet!).

With the exception of Kirin, these are all inner loop locations. I'm sure there are a ton more in town, but that's all I can think of right now.

Out of curiousity, is there a conveyor belt style sushi restaurant in Houston?

When I lived in Singapore, I'd hit one of those places at least 4 times a week. I often thought that one would do great business downtown Houston/Galleria/Med Center.

Generally I now favour Kubo's (menu) in Rice Village, but haven't been in several months.

My wife's favorite is Osaka (515 Westheimer).  It's good stuff, but I don't eat enough sushi to compare it to others.

Well, Osaka (been there four times) has been on Marvin Zindler's list, too. Kirin (been there three times) is not quality sushi..the fish was not fresh and the rice was real dry. Cafe Japon (have been there a few times) has its nights as well...I would not necessarily call it "consistently" good sushi, but it is okay. Yan Sushi (have been there five times and the sushi chef kept asking for my opinion) was on Marvin Zindler's list as well...it was all right. Miyako (used to go alot until they started being skimpers on the nigri and makis) is okay, but the staff can be sort of a pain and they are expensive and you don't get that much as far as nigri. Benihana (been there about two times) does not specialize in sushi and is okay to bad sometimes. Wasabi is overpriced and okay (not the best). Sake lounge (been there twice) is blah. Kubo's (been there twice) got my manager sick and was alright. ToDai (been there three times) is real bad.. my friend got a crab there that was dead before it hit the water, he did not eat it, but it was real gross. And everybody there rushes to eat all the sake (smoked salmon). Buffets are just real bad and are never consistent. I have had some okay sushi at buffets.

Places that are consistently good and great: Azuma (been there a lot) is great..it is a little bit pricey, but the fish is real fresh and flavourful (totally worth it). Their rice is warm and has a sweet taste to it. Great place for a nice meal and great atomsphere. Ginza (been there about six times) is good as well, but they are a bit pricey... as well.. there they dress in kimonos and great atomsphere. Tokyohana (I go pretty frequently) is great for inexpensive and more bang for you buck. They have been consistently good and they have a revese happy hour that starts at 9 p.m. Blue fish (been there a lot) has a great peppered tuna...yum...and the place next to cactus on shepherd (they recently changed their name) was pretty good as well. Yoshida (been there six times) is real good and authentic..my japanese friend loves that place is over by Memorial city Mall.

I have heard the sushi king is good, but I have not investigated that place yet.

Again this is only my opinion and would say that I am an addict as well..I love to make sushi as well. Hope this is helpful for you in deciding where you may choose to eat. I try to got back to places and give them second chances, but if they are bad then they are just bad.

...and the place next to cactus on shepherd (they recently changed their name) was pretty good as well.

That place is Zake - and it is good. It was Royal Japan for years, and they recently remodeled, got a new chef (I THINK (based on the food) that it's the chef that was at Rickshaw, then went to Mantra, and then Mantra turned "clubby" and now he's here... he makes my favorite sushi). Royal Japan was good, Zake is exceptional. The only problem - they jacked up their prices to go with their new atmosphere (more "trendy," like Rickshaw).

For good, cheaper sushi (with a FUN menu), I like Blue Fish House on Richmond.

My other faves are: Azuma (Rice Lofts, haven't been to the one on Kirby) and Osaka (they give you complimentary food to try and green tea ice cream to end the meal) on Westheimer.

I wonder how well a "conveyer-style" place would do in Houston? It would be an interesting concept to try out here...

Now that I moves into the area... are there any good sushi places on either sides of 249 on or close to 1960?? I have seen one near Bally's on 1969 north of 249 but I cannot remember the name.. anybody knows if it is any good...?

Chao

• 1 month later...

Not just Blimpies, Subway or Quiznos...there are I think 3 or 4 new sub resturants opening up. Is there a high demand for it in this city or what?

I'll fill y'all in more when I get the details. It was in the resturarant news reports.

and another place callled, "Johnny Rockets" I THINK I saw in Florida or Tulsa. I can't remember.