Post Oak Shopping Center At 2019-2521 Post Oak Blvd.

Dang computer won't let me paste the link for some reason, but Swamplot is reporting a rumor that Donald Trump is looking at three 55 plus story towers on the Dillards site next to the Galleria. Wondering if anybody has heard about it?

Again sorry for the lack of a link.

In other news the Ashby highrise is on schedule, Elevated Living Houston will begin construction next week, and Metro has pulled their heads out of their rears :P More at 5.

Really though, wouldn't that be something if a trio of towers were built? This forum would crash instantly!

• Like 1

This seems highly unlikely especially the moving of Dillards which is vaguely similar to the moving of Macys to make room for Saks and other shops/residential. I think whoever posted about this must have been a little loopy or simply daydreaming. Also did you guys see that other comment bashing Haifers? I thought it was hilarious.

When I first glimpsed the title of this thread, I got alarmed:  Gallery Furniture and Donald Trump teaming up to build something in Houston?

Whew, glad I misread it!   To be honest, the only Trump project I've actually been in is the Trump Tower in NYC, the lobby of which I recall seeming like an extravaganza of shiny (fake?) brass.  Kinda like the way Marriott hotel lobbies were built in 1980 or so, but more so.

OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing the Post Oak Dillards property redeveloped, along with the Zone d' Erotica (nee Roy Rogers Roast Beef sandwich shop).  

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 4

I have absolutely no basis for this speculation, but it would not surprise me if the Ritz was scouting for possibly sites. A lot of projects pre-recession have finally started to rear their heads again. I would believe the W before Trump. 3 Trump towers? HIGHLY unlikely. I think the poster was referring to if all 3 (Trump, W, and Ritz), were built on said fantasy courtyard.

for anyone that truly loves the GALLERIA, we could only hope and pray for just a small ounce of truth, as per these most intriguing of revelations.  for many many years now, i have very often thought that the old DILLIARDS was decrepit, outdated, and in some areas.. seemingly falling apart.  i have also felt that, if they would just close this establishment and rebuild, that maybe more patrons would enter their edifice, and their sales margin would rapidly increase.  i once knew some pals that had worked there, and they were always complaining about this very antiquated establishment.  they kept mentioning about how "dark and dank, old and overcrowded, the areas of retail inside the store itself.  

the very thought of this old and very antiquated DILLIARDS coming down, and a new redevelopment taking place as per this huge and yet most desired property.. is simply awe inspiring to say the least.  but the real multi million dollar question is.. WHAT ABOUT NEIMAN MARCUS?  just how long is this very popular super luxurious department store, going to just stand by and allow for SAKS FIFTH AVENUE to reign supreme upon the design and scale of the most profitable and yet magnificent luxury retail establishments in houston?  dallas of course, is the foremost home of NEIMAN MARCUS.  however, houston is very often mentioned as their most profitable store within the company's chain.  throughout the years, they have tried in earnest to remain new and fresh upon their scope and design within their building.  they have placed most of their administrative offices over in the WILLIAMS TOWER upon their never ending quest, to add more space within their very crowded store.  and yet, to date, they still have not announced that they are contemplating upon building a new, larger, and state of the art retail establishment heading into the future such as the likes of SAKS FIFTH AVENUE.  i am very often just stumped by this!  anyone and everyone can only guess that, once SAKS FIFTH AVENUE opens their new and optimally modern forthcoming store.. that they shall reign supreme upon the most sought after retail sales and momentum.  let us face it mates, for when it comes to retail.. patrons JUST ADORE THE NEW!  especially, the international patrons.  don't believe me, just venture over to dubai, uae.. and see for yourself.

everyone knows, that the RITZ CARLTON vs W HOTEL brands have been scouting around houston for quite some time now.  maybe this is the real reason that they have been taking so very long as to announce just where they would like to construct their long awaited establishments.  they want the most optimum locales, and of course no one could blame them.  but time is certainly of the essence, especially in lieu of the forthcoming SUPER BOWL 17.  and as for TRUMP, i would love for him to place one of his flags upon the houston horizon.  can anyone just imagine what would happen, should all three brands should suddenly converge upon the GALLERIA area.. directly positioned around the mall itself.. one can only dream...  

Trump took how many years to make it to Chicago?  How many years to make it to Miami/South Beach?  He might be interested in expanding into Texas, but I would quite surprised if he did.  Heck, he wouldn't need more than a 30-40 floor tower to make a splash.  Think of all the neoveau riche that would love having an address in something called "trump"?!

As for Galleria expansion... not sure why the new addition (when Nordstrom was added) didn't include a 3rd or 4th level?  Of course at the time a 700,000 square foot expansion was (and still is) huge!  I think Simon is seeing the hand writing on the wall with Boulevard Place and other centers opening up around the Uptown-Kirby-Oaks area and is starting to sweat a bit.

Edited by arche_757

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Anybody else see that helicopter come through the Galleria area today (Monday 1/30 morning)?  Holy mother-fu#$ing shit.  I work on the ~15th floor of one of the buildings just south of Williams and we were literally looking down into the rotor as it blew past about 25 feet from the windows.  People dove out of one of the conference rooms thinking it was going to come through the glass before it ducked away.  It came within about 30 feet of the tower crane  building the new apartments on Hidalgo and cut the buildings down the lakes on Post Oak. Complete nonsense.    

• 1 year later...

One day this shopping center will be redeveloped, so we may as well start this thread now.

My guess is they will hold out until there is very little or no other places to redevelop along Post Oak.

As of now, HCAD lists the the property valuation at $101 million. By comparison, an undeveloped block in the heart of downtown is $25 mil. Capitol Tower is listed as $125 mil. 

I can only imagine what they'll have to build to meet the land's value. As mentioned in the Galleria Green Space thread I started, I hope it includes a park. My personal dream is a north/south rectangular park abutting Post Oak about the same width as the parking lot, and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 the length, with highrises abutting directly up to a tree-lined walking path that runs along the edge of the park. The car entrances could be via an alley on the east side of the buildings.

20 years and another one or two cycles away?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Edited by ArchFan

On a related note, I really think "they" (probably the Uptown TIRZ) should construct some safe ways for people to cross Westheimer between The Galleria and stuff on the north side of Westheimer. It's ridiculous (and quite unsafe) how people feel they have to run for their lives to cross Westheimer and and also navigate across the median landscaping.  The crosswalks at Post Oak and McCue are pretty far apart and many  people don't want to take long detours to use them.   I suppose the most practical solution would be an overhead walkway.  

Beyond that, as more development occurs on the other side (east) of 610, the need for safe pedestrian passage to there will only grow.  Currently, I seriously feel that I'm risking my life trying to make that crossing.  As a resident of the area, at least I know what I'm getting into when I cross there.  I worry even more about the out-of-town visitors who have to scurry through that gauntlet of crazy drivers.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ArchFan said:

I assume you mean the strip mall on the east side of Post Oak, just north of Westheimer.  Unless it's changed hands while I wasn't paying attention, I assume it is still owned by the Weingarten REIT, along with the property across the street where Sakowitz used to be.  Its interesting how they have kept these properties for so many decades, without developing them with higher density.  While I'm not a big fan of the dedicated bus lanes going in (but I do like the Boulevard Project aside from that), I wonder if it will make some higher-density redevelopment more attractive there. 

Its Tanglewood who owns it, I think HCAD records show they’ve owned it for decades.  But yeah you have the right place .

http://www.tanglewoodcorp.com/

• 7 months later...

Jim McIngvale, more widely known as Mattress Mack, told radio host Michael Berry this morning on KTRH that Gallery Furniture’s 30,000-sq.-ft. store at 2411 Post Oak Blvd. will close following the end of its lease in a year. “The traffic went down by half because they tore up the road,” said Mack, referring to the construction on the new Uptown BRT that now has the street peppered with blaze orange cones and barricades.

http://swamplot.com/gallery-furnitures-post-oak-location-will-close-next-year/2019-01-17/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, lockmat said:

One day this shopping center will be redeveloped, so we may as well start this thread now.

I was told Post Oak Shopping Center has been sold. The Container Store to Maggiano's.  A "city within a city" will be built.

Can anyone confirm the sale of this shopping center?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I was told Post Oak Shopping Center has been sold. The Container Store to Maggiano's.  A "city within a city" will be built.

Can anyone confirm the sale of this shopping center?

Sounds exciting. Eventually, this shopping center will surely be redeveloped in a more dense fashion, whether by the current owner or a successor.

FWIW, there does not seem to be any transfer on the record so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Galleria Future / Trump Coming to Houston?
  • 6 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, tigereye said:

Kenny & Ziggy’s is relocating to the Luby’s space because Post Oak Shopping Center is being redeveloped. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-07-20-kenny-and-ziggys-deli-restaurant-new-location-lubys-cafeteria-1743-post-oak-san-felipe-ziggy-gruber/

Soon this will be moving to the “Going Up” forum. Today’s Chronicle article says this shopping center will be demolished. 

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Kenny-Ziggy-s-to-move-to-Luby-s-Cafeteria-Post-Oak-15472146.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow#photo-16055572

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1