Hanover Montrose: Multifamily At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in case anybody forgot, here's what the new building is supposed to look like. I just hope they break ground soon and don't leave a pile of rubble sitting there for years.

11950004573_ffecfcb945_b.jpg

Here's the rendering in case anybody wants to see it. I had to dig for it. I can see why I don't follow this project. This is very 'blah' to me. The building frankly is pretty bland and ugly...alost what the abandoned Holiday Inn downtown would look like with fresh paint and new windows. Good thing opinions are worthless :)

Here's the rendering in case anybody wants to see it. I had to dig for it. I can see why I don't follow this project. This is very 'blah' to me. The building frankly is pretty bland and ugly...alost what the abandoned Holiday Inn downtown would look like with fresh paint and new windows. Good thing opinions are worthless :)

I think that it looks good, I see where you're coming from but I think it's nice.

maybe it's just me, but i think that this particular edifice shall liven up the sometimes stoic montrose district.  this edifice is not exactly gleaming / beautiful per se.  however, it looks young, fun, and inviting.  this is what montrose needs more of....

I don't care for the rendering, either.  But ... I have to say, its nice that Hanover doesn't make every new project a clone of the previous one.  Sometimes that practice yields something interesting and nice, other times, not so much.

i don't have construction expertise, but i feel like going out on a limb here and guessing the "red piping" stuff might be the cables that get pulled tight before/during(?) the concrete pour, as another means of strengthening the concrete? forgive me if I'm wrong..

In the pictures above, ...... The rebar, before the concrete pour........ What is the "red piping" in the floor? Anyone with construction expertise know the answer? I'm just curious to learn something today.....

Those are PT cables, or Post-Tension cables. So concrete is really weak in tension, which is why we put rebar into it. But if we put rebar, and post-tension cables... then Apply Tension on those cables, it puts the concrete into compression. This allows the the designers to construct a slab thats 3'' or 4'' or 5'' thick, as opposed to 6'', 7'', or 8'' (etc.). This reduces the self weight of the structure and reduces material costs. SOme more info in the Wiki Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestressed_concrete

I don't do much design with PT cables, since in the industrial world they can be dangerous.

As an exercise. On some of the other threads construction photos. Try to look at the side of the slabs while the buildings are under construction. You'll see cables/holes coming out the side of them that disappear as the project goes up. The cables coming out the side of the slab, are the PT cables. Workers will tension the cables, grout the hole, and seal the ends as construction progresses. 

Parking garages use PT a lot. 

Those are PT cables, or Post-Tension cables. So concrete is really weak in tension, which is why we put rebar into it. But if we put rebar, and post-tension cables... then Apply Tension on those cables, it puts the concrete into compression. This allows the the designers to construct a slab thats 3'' or 4'' or 5'' thick, as opposed to 6'', 7'', or 8'' (etc.). This reduces the self weight of the structure and reduces material costs. SOme more info in the Wiki Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestressed_concrete

I don't do much design with PT cables, since in the industrial world they can be dangerous.

Wow! Thank you for this!

With thinner floors, I wonder if noise will be an issue for these residents? Running a vacuum cleaner over 6" of concrete likely doesn't make much noise down below but potentially over 3"?

Archived