Hanover Montrose: Multifamily At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

Wow! Thank you for this!

With thinner floors, I wonder if noise will be an issue for these residents? Running a vacuum cleaner over 6" of concrete likely doesn't make much noise down below but potentially over 3"?

Remember that its not just the concrete floor that is both the floor and ceiling. It's merely the structural portion for what will be put on top or below it. While some buildings might like to express the concrete structure and leave it open in most buildings this is not the case.

So say you have a 4" slab. On top of that four inch slab you will have around 3/8" material (tile, carpet, wood, etc...). Below the slab is all the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing which normally needs between 2'-3' (again this is really basic not for all buildings). So while the slab is 4" in total you really have a space that is 2'-5" to 3'-5". The slab is not meant to be anything but structural in most cases, not acoustical. This is where architectural treatments will come in such as various finishes. Your normal office will have acoustical ceiling tiles that keep sound from going room to room, but also floor to floor. In your normal house you will mostly see a plaster type ceiling. Those bumps, groves, and flakes you have in the plaster ceiling actually help with acoustics.

This is just my basic knowledge on the subject. Still learning, Not an expert, but hope that helps a bit.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those pictures are great!

May I ask another question?

The stairs look like they were poured in place. That surprises me. I would have guessed that the stairs in buildings such as this would be cast offsite and then bolted in place. But, I know nothing of these matters. In buildings like this, Is it typical to do one or the other these days?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those pictures are great!

May I ask another question?

The stairs look like they were poured in place. That surprises me. I would have guessed that the stairs in buildings such as this would be cast offsite and then bolted in place. But, I know nothing of these matters. In buildings like this, Is it typical to do one or the other these days?

That, kind of surprised me as well. Might be an architects call there. 

That, kind of surprised me as well. Might be an architects call there. 

If its for the main stair? if there is a main stair then I can't imagine that being out of the questions. If its fire stairs...might be a bit suspect.

Archived