The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ sorry, but in my opinion, that white beacon object atop of astoria appears ridiculous!  that needs to come down immediately before uptown becomes a national laughingstock!  it harbors a certain "mysticism" feel to it.  ridiculous indeed.... 

View from the Chase Tower yesterday, also posted in the BHP Billiton Thread

DSC03818_zpsoeyrdsfo.jpg

Damn, Houston. It's incredible that this picture of a small section of Uptown rivals most small cities in America.

^^^ sorry, but in my opinion, that white beacon object atop of astoria appears ridiculous!  that needs to come down immediately before uptown becomes a national laughingstock!  it harbors a certain "mysticism" feel to it.  ridiculous indeed.... 

You need to see it in person. I promise. The tower is quite impressive.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that when this thing is completely finished and lit up at night, you'll change your opinion. 

^^^ are you kidding?  i shall be terrified once that object is finally lit up!  or at least mystified......

Kitschy would be my choice of descriptions for Mr Davis' developments. Hopefully he'll work out all the unnecessary frill and pull off two great buildings, Arabella, one on the east side of 610, and the Marlowe downtown. If not they'll stick out like sore thumbs.

He never fails to mess it up somehow.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 2

...what has he messed up on this development?

From top to bottom

The pyramid on the top of the building is a little too much. Its like he had to add some bling to make it fun.

Bottom - he creates these ugly pedestals for his buildings that do nothing for the streetscape i.e. lack of

interaction with pedestrians, GFR, and just a fortress style base that makes it very unwelcoming. I also don't

like his choice of colors for his buildings. Maybe something personal, but I always feel there just

a little off.

The colors of Cesar Pelli's group of buildings to the west, don't bother me. I think he got them just right.

• Like 5

From top to bottom

The pyramid on the top of the building is a little too much. Its like he had to add some bling to make it fun.

Bottom - he creates these ugly pedestals for his buildings that do nothing for the streetscape i.e. lack of

interaction with pedestrians, GFR, and just a fortress style base that makes it very unwelcoming. I also don't

like his choice of colors for his buildings. Maybe something personal, but I always feel there just

a little off.

The colors of Cesar Pelli's group of buildings to the west, don't bother me. I think he got them just right.

"A little too much".. "Had to add some bling to make it fun".. You do realize this building is located in Uptown.. Right? Home of chrome arches/suspended circular signage and a 901 foot tall lighthouse/beacon of suburban-urbanity? Nothing a little too much or blingy about Uptown.. ;)

I agree, the bases of his buildings usually blow..

Color is always just a little bit off? Isn't this building going to be white?

• Like 2

Seems like the crown being constructed is missing a setback level from the original rendering, which to me anyway, makes it appear more awkward.

^^^ THIS!  and even more of this!  if they had decided to just veer away from the original rendering per se, then maybe they should have decided to construct the "diamond beacon" upon a much much smaller scale.  as it appears now, it looks ridiculous / hideous....

It's Randall Davis. Other than the Rice Conversion, none of his projects are great. The Renoir has a huge blank wall. The Cosmo's garage is offensive. The Gotham and the other thing on West Gray have gargoyles. Not sure why anyone thought this would be a masterpiece. 

• Like 3