The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I like the building so far.  We have enough blue, brown, and tan in our skylines.  The white works.  Similarly, we have enough flat roofs.  The irony is people loved the rendering even though it featured a pyramid roof beacon and the whole building was ablaze in lights.

• Like 2

randall.jpg

^^^ ok randall, please put down that liquor... and carefully explain to us... just what on earth have you done to that building???

every time that i glance at an illustration, it seems that i just cannot seem to figure out just what i am looking at.  

is it just me????

• Like 4

I bet all the people who bought in are going :blink:. I wonder if resale prices are gonna tank since no one will want to buy a unit in such an awful looking building.

Yes it's awful, but people live in the Mercer. They're probably laughing at us while sipping champagne on their balconies with unobstructed views of the Williams Tower.
  • Like 3

I hope there is significant finishing work to be done on the exterior above the garage (not a fan below either though)! I'll reserve judgement, but worries me that, at least as far as I'm aware, there are no daytime renderings of this thing -- the only rendering I've ever seen is the nighttime version, likely casting it in the best possible light. If what we're seeing now is about what we'll be seeing upon completion, this will be right up there in infamy with the Mercer. In fact, with all the exterior work that was done on the latter, eliminating the yellow facade, Astoria may take the crown ^ no pun intended (or dunce hat)! I'd also throw Randall's Cosmopolitan on a "bottom 5" list, but he at least nodded to it's older neighbors to the north with the blue facade. On a positive note, looks like the Arabella may be a rare Davis winner, aside from it's ugly base!

• Like 1

It would look a million times better if they would paint it gray. The 'light' on top was also on this morning. The pyramid itself doesn't light up, there are just some flood lights up there shining on it. It's bizarre at best.

Edited by richfish
  • Like 1

Heres my Mount Rushmore of the worst in Houston:

1. The Godzilla Tower at Gessner and I-10

2. The Astoria

3. The Cosmopolitan

4. The apartment tower just west of Waugh on Allen Parkway that looks like the missing cousin to the

Cosmo, only with a Tiara.

I would have put the Mercer in the list but since its so thin it doesn't really deserve mention.

• Like 2

2. The Astoria

3. The Cosmopolitan

4. The apartment tower just west of Waugh on Allen Parkway that looks like the missing cousin to the

I would have put the Mercer in the list but since its so thin it doesn't really deserve mention.

I agree with your about #1, But there are so much more worse things...

#2 Mercer without question

#3 Astoria

#4 Embassy Suites

#5 Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites

5555 Allen Parkway is tolerable. Cosmo is also tolerable and way better looking then the Dominion.

As far as architecture that "tried" instead of being so eroded with cost savings,

#1 Still Godzilla

#2 Hotel Granduca

#3 Dominion

#4 Methodist Outpatient TMC

#5 Skyhouse 1,2, and 3.

I assume to qualify for bobruss "Mt. Rushmore" it has to be a highrise office or apartment/condo. If not I would list the county building complex near  Main St, the numerous parking garages, and most "brutalist" style buildings  including unfortunately UT-Medical School at the TMC.  I don't know about the "Godzilla tower", have to research that one.

2. The Astoria

3. The Cosmopolitan

uh...your number 4 in no way has a tiara...that is 100 percent for sure a fruit basket and i have always hoped someone would fill it with giant inflatable bananas, oranges, apples, etc

• Like 2

I see it now. Do you remember the circus acts that had a balance board balanced in

the middle like a see saw.

A person would stand on one end and either a big fat guy or two smaller ones would jump on it

catapulting the one standing on the other side of the pivot into the air and onto the back of the third man standing rigidly awaiting the impact.

Thats how we can get the fruit into the basket.

• Like 1

I agree with your about #1, But there are so much more worse things...

#2 Mercer without question

#3 Astoria

#4 Embassy Suites

#5 Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites

5555 Allen Parkway is tolerable. Cosmo is also tolerable and way better looking then the Dominion.

As far as architecture that "tried" instead of being so eroded with cost savings,

#1 Still Godzilla

#2 Hotel Granduca

#3 Dominion

#4 Methodist Outpatient TMC

#5 Skyhouse 1,2, and 3.

Don't forget about the gray apartment tower off Richmond and Sage! Yuck!

Without using obscenities what is the label on the architectural style of  buildings you all call the Godzilla?  I can't find anything.  I do agree it looks difficult.

Enigmatic Style. Morris doesn't have anything on their website and I'm hesitant to e-mail them to ask because I would give them my unwarranted two cents.

Edited by Montrose1100

2. The Astoria

3. The Cosmopolitan

Agreed on 1-3, but no Houston top 5 is complete without the Mercer! I'll slip that in at #4 (not the worst since it's exterior rework) and add Camden Post Oak Apartments at #5. That last one is completely out of context with anything in the area, including 4 Oaks Place. Btw, the 4 Oaks complex was designed by world renowned Cesar Pelli & Associates and it deserves a better class of neighbors! The new BHP Billiton tower, replacing 24hr Fitness, is definitely a step in the right direction!

Edited by InTheLoopFromNYC
  • Like 2