The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

You know what, after seeing this picture, I get now why we get cheesy Florida panhandle architecture. We are a city by the gulf, with a sub tropical climate. So really these type of bright beige and batman condo buildings are a product of our region. Houston is at such a crossroads. Anyways, just saying because I can now almost appreciate them.

Over 25 years ago a book was written tongue in cheek called the Nine Nations of North America.  Houston was labeled a crossroad between three nations: The Breadbasket, Dixie, and Mex-America.  Despite the jest there are elements of truth to this observation. This area is also considered a biological crossroad due to its assortment of eastern and western vegetation and being the upper northern boundary of tropical vegetation. This may partially explain the difficulty of giving our metro area a cute label. It may also explain our variety of, well, everything including architecture. Our topography may be boring, but very little else. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

my problem is mainly with the kooky diamond crown thingy...and as stated before, unless its some kind of Stargate type portal for aliens to communicate with us or be transported with then that part is indeed dumb. haha

:wacko:  :P

• Like 1

The building should be the grey color of the lower floor decals, and those decals should be white. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also don't think it's as hideous as some would state. I do feel like this all white look with the crown would look so much more at home in Miami's skyline than Uptown though.

Edited by curbur

my problem is mainly with the kooky diamond crown thingy...and as stated before, unless its some kind of Stargate type portal for aliens to communicate with us or be transported with then that part is indeed dumb. haha

:wacko:  :P

I bet it teleports you to our city's other transdimensional portal atop the Memorial Hermann tower in Memorial City. Now that's how you beat traffic!

Edited by The Ozone Files
  • Like 5

I think this fits in nicely with some of the other buildings in the Galleria area for sure.

It's a better looking building than that cream/brown/earthy tone building in the background of every shot in the last round. That is a horrid monstrosity, and makes this building look like the Mona Lisa in comparison.

• Like 2

I think this fits in nicely with some of the other buildings in the Galleria area for sure.

It's a better looking building than that cream/brown/earthy tone building in the background of every shot in the last round. That is a horrid monstrosity, and makes this building look like the Mona Lisa in comparison.

I don't know, 1200 Post Oak is pretty bad, but this one hasn't been completed yet. Give him a chance to take the pinnacle crown from the Mercer.

• 2 weeks later...