The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

There's no moving on 610, is there?

No, not really.. It really pisses me off that the Memorial Park people won't let them expand the stretch of 610 through the park.. It's one of the most congested highways in the city. They'll likely have to double deck at least the MP stretch next time they redo 610 if they want to add any more capacity.

i didnt mean to sidetrack this thread, but since i did. honestly.. traffic lanes are what, 12 ft wide? add another lane each direction, you cut into the park 12 feet on either side of the road. thats 24' by a bit over a mile long. thats about 3 acres. out of like 1500 acres. heck, add two more lanes in each direction. you dont think the park could stand to shed a handful of acres to add much needed capacity to 610? its for the greater benefit of the city. let me be clear. Memorial Park is awesome, and i love green space (ive started threads about creating Green Roof Initiatives, how to expand the Houston Parks System and what not), but its not like every acre in that park is being used.

Edited by cloud713

i didnt mean to sidetrack this thread, but since i did. honestly.. traffic lanes are what, 12 ft wide? add another lane each direction, you cut into the park 12 feet on either side of the road. thats 24' by a bit over a mile long. thats about 3 acres. out of like 1500 acres. heck, add two more lanes in each direction. you dont think the park could stand to shed a handful of acres to add much needed capacity to 610? its for the greater benefit of the city. let me be clear. Memorial Park is awesome, and i love green space (ive started threads about creating Green Roof Initiatives, how to expand the Houston Parks System and what not), but its not like every acre in that park is being used.

It's really not that simple. Like reeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyyyy not that simple. You have to move frontage roads, utilities and then finally add a lame but not before you've secured the necessary ROW which is not as easy as taking 12ft from each side.

Moving on....I've been driving this stretch for the past few months now and this has been awesome to watch. Driving at night from 610 South then turning on to Post Oak you can hardly see anything beyond these buildings.

you dont think the park could stand to shed a handful of acres to add much needed capacity to 610? .

No, I dont.

We have likely many tens of thousands of acres already donated to the car and I see no reason to give away 3 more from park space.

They can tunnel if they need to. Just like Boston.... Then they added a park on the surface.

That's fine.

On Astoria.....

Drove buy sales office today.... Sign said 11 condos left......

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

Besides, adding lanes of traffic does nothing in the long term.

I remember when I-10 was about to get expanded about ten years ago, the people opposing the project cited studies that showed that on average, roads go back to same level of congestion 7 years after expansion. Proponents of the project said that was nonsense, and a couple of years after the expansion they claimed victory bc I-10 was flowing so much better. Today, it's just as bad as it was 10 years ago.

Never mind that 610 itself was just expanded a few years ago.

Edited by fernz

I remember when I-10 was about to get expanded about ten years ago, the people opposing the project cited studies that showed that on average, roads go back to same level of congestion 7 years after expansion. Proponents of the project said that was nonsense, and a couple of years after the expansion they claimed victory bc I-10 was flowing so much better. Today, it's just as bad as it was 10 years ago.

(1)  No it is not just as bad as it was 10 years ago,  and (2) Just imagine how bad traffic would now be on the Katy Freeway,not to mention Northwest Freeway, Westpark Tollway, Southwest Freeway, Westheimer Rd, Memorial, etc etc. had the Katy Freeway not been expanded.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Never mind that 610 itself was just expanded a few years ago.

Since the other nonsense was already responded to.. I'm pretty sure 610 wasn't expanded at all when they rebuilt it because of the Afton Oaks, err, Memorial Park supporters (they start to become one in the same) wouldn't allow them to expand it through Memorial Park..

(1)  No it is not just as bad as it was 10 years ago,  and (2) Just imagine how bad traffic would now be on the Katy Freeway,not to mention Northwest Freeway, Westpark Tollway, Southwest Freeway, Westheimer Rd, Memorial, etc etc. had the Katy Freeway not been expanded.

I don't want to get too far into this, but you're assuming that the growth to the west of Houston would have happened even if they didn't build those freeways.

I would argue that without expanding the Katy, building the Westpark tollway, etc that we don't see places Cinco Ranch get built.

Induced demand is a real thing and until ppl understand that, we're doomed to keep repeating the 'build more lanes, build more suburban communities' rinse and repeat that we've been doing for the last 60+ years.

• Like 2

Well, this thread is officially side tracked..

Are you suggesting we don't add any more capacity to our roadways as millions more people continue to move here??

I wasn't aware expanding 610 would spur more suburban development. :rolleyes: if anything, not doing anything about our inner city traffic problems would sway more people to suburban living, to "avoid all the traffic".

Edited by cloud713

Well, this thread is officially side tracked..

Are you suggesting we don't add any more capacity to our roadways as millions more people continue to move here??

I wasn't aware expanding 610 would spur more suburban development. :rolleyes: if anything, not doing anything about our inner city traffic problems would sway more people to suburban living, to "avoid all the traffic".

If you assume that everyone has to drive their own car to work, then building more and more freeways is the only answer.

You are correct in that.

[i've already packed my things in anticipation of my comments being moved to the Transportation section of HAIF :D ]

• Like 1

It's pretty incredible how many threads degrade to arguments about transportation.

It's close to Thanksgiving. Did you expect any argument / discussion to stay on topic? 

The fact that we didn't end up on the topic of religion or politics is some sort of minor miracle.

esq-uncle-xlg-41232557.jpg

Edited by DNAguy
  • Like 2