2 hours ago, ErickEdgar said:

Whoa! When did they scrap the whole mixed use plan?

Probably had to rethink their plans when Covid struck. Not much demand for offices or movie theaters now. Sad but as a developer they got lucky they hadn't started building those yet. Home Depot will do well here. The only other places are off IH 610 north loop, 610 west loop in Bellaire and Gulf Frwy near Gulfgate. Just a few small hardware stores inside the loop.

• Like 3

What is unbelievable is the apartment complex was obviously designed to be part of a mixed use development as first stated, the entire first level as well as the open and welcoming center area was designed for shops, restaurants and bars etc, this goes the same for the adjacent retail spaces next door. 

I read a post on The Heights Nextdoor site where a young lady that lives in that apartment complex paid a high premium to be on the front facing north and was told that her "floor to ceiling windows will have an amazing view of the bustling multi use complex as well as being able to walk just down stairs to experience all it has to offer"  Now she get to look at the side and back area of a Home Depot and all ya have to do is drive behind one to see that it will be mess of stacked up mulch and a row of compression dumpsters. 

I wonder if the renters being mislead and even the apartment complex owners being mislead would have even legal recourse to what they were originally lead to believe and build off of?

Edited by Montecore
  • Like 6

I wonder why these developments just south of I-10 keep opting for the inefficient land use of suburban style big box stores and strip malls. Between the Target, Walmart, and now Home Depot / Kroger developments, that's a lot of valuable land used for parking in an area well-connected by pedestrian-friendly infrastructure.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, freundb said:

I understand there is a need/demand for these stores, but then put them at the ground floor of a residential/office building like what was done with HEB on Washington. 

Pure speculation, but I wonder whether environmental contamination was a factor.  Probably can't dig too deep at that site without ringing up a big bill for remediation.  Cheaper to leave it alone and put a big box on top.  

My other point of pure speculation is that I think money is only flowing to more high end developments and this one is just too close to I-10 to go high end.  

But, yeah.  Markets are dumb.  Rents in Houston are way up over every class of apartments in Houston with supply of new units lagging.  Katyville could have 2-3,000 more multifamily units had developers built up instead of dedicating scarce inner loop acreage to big box developments.  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-rents-have-soared-to-record-highs-16725899.php

• Like 2

There are suburban style developments all along the feeder within the inner-loop. Hell, Houston’s only natural landmark, Buffalo Bayou, is just starting to see vertical mixed use development. There’s no reason to expect any different for development outside of a few key areas. 

• Like 3

It's not the same really, but there are apartments above home depot in Manhattan so it wouldn't be unheard of. And target as ground floor retail has happened before a few times. It really could be a cool area. There's a bunch of other developments going on around the area so we'll just have to be happy with those. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This development continues to fail. This section of the city bounded by Studemont, I-10, Sawyer and Washington Ave feels like a massive mix of random, unplanned development. I have no clue how developers think or what the hell goes through their minds. Trust me I know most of it is the bottom line but why would they move forward with a half ass development? Especially when you can clearly see that the city is becoming denser. I'm no developer but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I would have much rather they waited. 

This is what happens when you develop based on your land basis and ignore the market. This development would never happen with todays land prices. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HNathoo said:

This is what happens when you develop based on your land basis and ignore the market. This development would never happen with todays land prices. 

Do you really think developers ignore opportunity cost?  Highly unlikely.  

Edited by Houston19514

27 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Why would that be scary?

Cyclists or pedestrians would find themselves in a place where running for help is not an option, where other people can't see an attack take place. It's tailor-made for robbery, rape, and assault.
People who have any street sense know to avoid such places when possible.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, Arboosto said:

I wonder why these developments just south of I-10 keep opting for the inefficient land use of suburban style big box stores and strip malls. Between the Target, Walmart, and now Home Depot / Kroger developments, that's a lot of valuable land used for parking in an area well-connected by pedestrian-friendly infrastructure.

The developers are doing that because they can make a known return building what they know how to build. Sure, they could build apartments with GFR and all that jazz, but they don't know for sure if it will make them money. Developers tend to be pretty low risk types. None of them want to build 500,000 square feet of GFR and have it end up empty, or have to find new tenants every 6 months when the restaurant concepts fail.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, hindesky said:

Probably had to rethink their plans when Covid struck. Not much demand for offices or movie theaters now. Sad but as a developer they got lucky they hadn't started building those yet. Home Depot will do well here. The only other places are off IH 610 north loop, 610 west loop in Bellaire and Gulf Frwy near Gulfgate. Just a few small hardware stores inside the loop.

Don't forget the HD near Bingle and 10. I prefer that one over 610 North.

• Like 2

https://www.theleadernews.com/real_estate/real-estate-roundup-lower-heights-beginning-second-phase-of-development/article_56dea5a6-779b-11ec-baa2-ab87a932d166.html

Gulf Coast Commercial Group announced last week that Lower Heights, a 24-acre, mixed-use project fronting Interstate 10 between Studemont and Sawyer streets, is embarking on the second phase of the project.

v1QyNdR.jpg

• Like 4

New tenants have been announced for the 2 story building next to 27Seventy Lower Heights apartments.

They include,

World of Sourdough: https://www.worldofsourdough.com

Golftec: https://www.golftec.com

EyeHub Optometry: https://www.eyehubhtx.com

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/development/2022/01/14/new-tenants-building-construction-announced-for-lower-heights-mixed-use-district/

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5