• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Triton said:

One cool thing I have not seen mentioned is that they are working on a paved path that forks from the Heights bike trail, travels under the trees, and drops you off at the new multi-family unit.

I think I've mentioned this before. Glad to see they are doing this... It would have been an awful miss if they didn't incorporate the connection.

I hope their developments has nice retail / food / drink options off the trail. I always find myself wanting a smoothie or refreshment when on walks or rides.

• Like 6

First phase of Lower Heights mixed-use development nears completion

A 35,000-square-foot, two-story building with street-level retail and second-floor offices is being built out at 1440 Studemont.

Houston-based Central Bank will have a 3,687-square-foot space in the western end cap of the first floor. Danny Miller represented Gulf Coast Commercial Group in the lease, and Joan Collum of Collum Commercial represented Central Bank.

SheSpace, a women-focused coworking space new to Houston, will lease 6,000 square feet on the second floor. Bob Cromwell and Spencer Starkey of Moody Rambin represented Gulf Coast, and Brandi McDonald Sikes and Meredith Kelly of Limestone Commercial represented SheSpace. 

On 7/27/2020 at 10:12 PM, Triton said:

One cool thing I have not seen mentioned is that they are working on a paved path that forks from the Heights bike trail, travels under the trees, and drops you off at the new multi-family unit.

A hike-and-bike trail along the eastern edge of the Lower Heights property will be available in early August. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/07/29/lower-heights-mixed-use-nears-completion.html

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Is it gravel or is it crushed granite?  Big difference in the quality of the riding surface.  If it is just a temporary fix, and it is crushed granite, then it's no big deal.  I'd ride on the grass before I'd take my chances on the gravel.  

You're right. It's more likely crushed granite. Whatever similar material you'd walk on at Memorial Park.

Either way, I didn't have any issue biking it but I was on my gravel bike. 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Triton said:

You're right. It's more likely crushed granite. Whatever similar material you'd walk on at Memorial Park.

Either way, I didn't have any issue biking it but I was on my gravel bike. 😅

Random question but does anyone know why none of the bike trails having lighting? The city wants people to be able to commute on them but some of them don't feel so safe after sunset (which can be at early at 5-6 during winter). 

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

The south end of the granite trail is in pretty rough shape. I rode the northern part on my gravel bike and had no problems but I would be leery of riding it with skinny road tires.

d7NLxnx.jpg

And wait till that stuff starts to seep over the curb. Just pave the damn thing. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

The south end of the granite trail is in pretty rough shape. I rode the northern part on my gravel bike and had no problems but I would be leery of riding it with skinny road tires.

d7NLxnx.jpg

Yea I totally skipped this part because it didn't look stable enough, even for my gravel bike too. The northern part is pretty smooth going to the Heights bike trial as you said.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Triton said:

Lower Heights District (Houston) is no longer listed on Cinemark's upcoming theaters section.

It seems pretty dooming if Cinemark has an upcoming theater section and Lower Heights was there, and now is not. I was trying to find an excuse, but I don't think there is one other than the deal is dead. Bummer...

I wonder if another theater would jump on this? It is probably tough times for theaters right now. I would love an Alamo Drafthouse / specialty theater here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

I wonder if another theater would jump on this? It is probably tough times for theaters right now. I would love an Alamo Drafthouse / specialty theater here.

I think this is more likely the case. I think the theaters right now are just fighting to stay afloat and most likely aren't even considering to expand until next year, if that. I looked at their upcoming theater list and it's been essentially wiped out. I'm assuming the ones that are on there are only there because they might already be under construction.

Here is the link I am using if anyone is curious and/or wants to research the other locations they have planned to see if they were already close to or under construction:

https://www.cinemark.com/grand-openings

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Triton said:

I think this is more likely the case. I think the theaters right now are just fighting to stay afloat and most likely aren't even considering to expand until next year, if that. I looked at their upcoming theater list and it's been essentially wiped out. I'm assuming the ones that are on there are only there because they might already be under construction.

Here is the link I am using if anyone is curious and/or wants to research the other locations they have planned to see if they were already close to or under construction:

https://www.cinemark.com/grand-openings

I googled the Cypress location and the street view from February 2020 shows ongoing construction.

f2020.JPG

Edited by ErickEdgar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 6:17 PM, Triton said:

Construction has clearly started back up on this site. Survey flags, fresh dirt and multiple construction equipment all around the site.

Also of note, Cinemark removed their entire upcoming theatre list during the darkest days of covid. They brought the page back and Lower Heights is currently not on the list (yet?)

https://www.cinemark.com/theatre-reopening-schedule#comingsoon

• Like 1