GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

From the link above...

"Sip and Socialize" at Houston Pavilions Relaunch Street Party
Thursday, April 4 from 5:30 – 9 p.m.

Join Houston Pavilions for a downtown street party unlike any other! During the April 4 "Sip and Socialize" shindig, be among the first to learn of the exciting changes coming to Houston Pavilions as the downtown landmark reveals its new name and plans for the future!

During the evening, San Jacinto between Dallas and Polk will be transformed into an ideal destination to mix and mingle. Join friends and fellow Houstonians for a fun, casual after-work soiree and sample some of the best drinks, eats and activities this side of I-45.

Party-goers will dance the night away to live entertainment provided by House of Blues. Houston Pavilions retailers and restaurants will have booths featuring complimentary tastings and interactive activities including Wii Bowling, a basketball hoop-off for the chance to win a signed Houston Rockets basketball and more.

As an added bonus, guests who visit every tenant's booth will be entered to win a luxurious staycation package, courtesy of Hotel Icon!

The event is free and open to the public.

WHEN
Thursday, April 4, 2013
5:30 – 9 p.m.

WHERE
Houston Pavilions
San Jacinto between Dallas and Polk
Houston, Texas 77002

info@4april2013.com

"

I will be there (since I work nearby and end my work day at 5pm)

The invite says San Jac between Dallas & Lamar will be the hub of activity. I wonder if this is a preview to their plan ...refocusing development toward the street on the Dallas & Lamar sides of Pavillions.

Well obviously the market is telling us another theater is possible downtown if iPic is considering Pavilions. The demand is growing slowly but surely downtown. I'm not ignoring anything, but if you honestly thing Sundance is capable of surviving downtown for the long haul all by itself than thats ridiculous. The market is prime for growth downtown. Sundance won't survive long unless it has competition. Thats why certain businesses downtown have failed because there is nothing creating competition to fight for a place in the market. One or two clothing stores won't do it either. A theater is a special type of business, I can see downtown holding one more in the next 5 yrs, maybe on the East End.

Well, there is the "restaurant row" phenomenon, but I have never seen any research suggesting that the same phenomenon applies to movie theaters. For those who have never heard of "restaurant rows", studies show that one restaurant in an area may struggle, but as more restaurants open in the same area, that area becomes known for having several restaurant choices. People who are unsure exactly what they want to eat will tend to drive to the "restaurant row", confident that at least one of the many choices will satisfy them. For instance, I may drive to Washington Avenue, or Rice Village without having a particular place in mind, and decide where to eat once I get there.

Again, I am unsure if this applies to movie theatres. It might. That could help explain multiplexes.

Exactly my point... Options drive the market, few options won't create foot traffic and people won't find interest. The more infrastructure the city puts in place for businesses to thrive the more options become availalable, the demand is already high.

...why certain businesses downtown have failed because there is nothing creating competition to fight for a place in the market. ...

So, this is why Logan's bar closed down and why the Fying Saucer has been able to stay around?  Or even why Ziggy's failed in their DT location, because there wasn't enough options?

The most intriguing words in the April 4 event announcement:   "watch us transform from the inside out"

i'm praying that they finally decide to move the retail to the OUTSIDE as opposed to treating 3 blocks of downtown rail-fronting blocks into a damn mini mall. that was the single biggest travesty of the entire project, imo, and one that led to it being a complete failure.

a project like HP needs to be able to interact with the surrounding streetscape, not block it off.

• Like 3

One of those bums did thousands of dollars in damage tonight. Businesses on franklin, 200 to 400 travis main,etc. Customers chased him till police got there. Tons of broken windows

The windows are still boarded up at Macondo.

You're misunderstanding what I mean by "options", restaurants open and close all the time, sure a restaurant row of some kind would be great, at the end of the day the market would determine what works and what doesn't. The success rate of any restaurant is low. As for retail thats a different story, restaurants won't bring people downtown but retail will, especially if its a specialty store like a Sundance Theater or Phoenica Market, those businesses allow restaurants to thrive, not the other way around. The only reason some restaurants and bars succeed is their business model and need in the market but again that industry has always been shakey. If there is any better proof of this, look at the area around House of Blues, which is a special venue, the restaraunts came after House of Blue became a MAJOR tenant. You're not gonna see many restaurants as MAJOR tenants unless they off a special service that draws people.

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 3 weeks later...

Now to be called GreenStreet.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/04/developers-announce-plans-to-reinvent-houston-pavilions/

Plans are to reduce some building space to allow a courtyard to hold events and add patios on Dallas, among other changes.

I see large screens in the renderings!...let's hope this time they actually get put in.  Hopefully tomorrow there will be some new tenants announced as well.