GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

My thoughts and questions:

1. Is the fountain by Forever 21 currently there? I don't think so. Nice addition.

2. They added to the garage facade. Not a total makeover but welcomed.

3. The windows added to the skyway bridges are nice.

4. The back view of HoB. What is different?

Hell yea, i like it, great idea, this could spur some retail, i think the biggest problem with Pavilions is that it was so enclosed for something that was supposed to be spread out as an urban shopping area, looks like they are opening it up to the street which could add to the area aesthetically

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Hbj has more info.

Construction to begin this month and to take six to nine monts. It will remain open.

In addition to the courtyard nancy mentioned hbj says it will have a linear urban park. There is not much room there so I'm looking forward to see this piece complete.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/04/new-name-of-the-houston-pavilions.html

• Like 2

Would be smart and genius to bring some residential aspect - even just an modest apt tower - like 10 stories into this or on one of the surrounding blocks - you listening Magic?

Regards,

Visionary Amateur Expert

Agreed.  In order for "Green Street" to be much more successful than Pavilions, more residents need to be around the area.  It was a dumb decision to not build the residential component of this project.

• Like 1

Note  open Green Street topics merged.

From the article:

Goodbye Houston Pavilions. Hello GreenStreet.

Midway and Canyon-Johnson — the new developers of the renamed three block long retail, office and entertainment center downtown — have other changes planned for the project, including more outdoor amenities, new landscaping and more events.

To make GreenStreet more outdoor friendly, for example, storefronts along Dallas will be lined with outdoor patios for dining, said Midway CEO Jonathan Brinsden. And the courtyard on the middle block will be expanded by eliminating some building space, enabling the courtyard to hold events.

Would be smart and genius to bring some residential aspect - even just an modest apt tower - like 10 stories into this or on one of the surrounding blocks - you listening Magic?

Regards,

Visionary Amateur Expert

you're on the right track....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, anybody know what's going on with this? It's coming up on 2 months since they announced the conversion and the complex hasn't started construction yet? It seems like they would've started on this by now since they were talking about it will take 7-8 months to complete?  The skeptical side of me tells no real change is going to come of this thing.

• Like 1

Well, on June 3-6th they're planning on inviting local graffiti artists to work their magic on the center. It should be pretty cool. Here's what they have to say:

"While there are those that want to paint the town red, others

prefer to use the entire spectrum of colors! Such will be the case at GreenStreet as the popular downtown dining and entertainment center prepares to experience a metamorphosis of color during GreenStreet Graffiti, a special artistic event held onsite, June 3 – 6. 

Come see art-in-the-making when local graffiti artists, Gabriel Prusmack, Kelyne Reis, Wiley Robertson and the acclaimed Aerosol Warefare Gallery’s GONZO247, transform the property’s monochromatic walls into a vibrant mix of bold colors and graphic art! Throughout the four-day event, art aficionados and downtown hipsters are encouraged to stop by and interact with the artists as they work. And just as the last puff of aerosol is applied, the entire community will be invited back onsite for a special unveiling party filled with festive music and free entertainment, Thursday, June 6 from 5 – 8 p.m."

Link: Facebook Event

Why are they only inviting "art aficionados and downtown hipsters"? What if I wanted to go? :-)

That's actually really bad wording.  Art aficionados and downtown hipsters are way to aloof to go to a corporate sponsored event.  It isn't "authentic" enough.

• Like 1

That's actually really bad wording.  Art aficionados and downtown hipsters are way to aloof to go to a corporate sponsored event.  It isn't "authentic" enough.

GONZO247 is a downtown hipster. Here's his artwork on Treebeards in downtown: http://www.aerosolwarfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_5558.jpg

• Like 1

GONZO247 is a downtown hipster. Here's his artwork on Treebeards in downtown: http://www.aerosolwarfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_5558.jpg

It was really just a joke about the general perception of hipsters being too cool to like anything.  I'm familiar with Gonzo247 and agree that he does some very cool stuff.

• Like 1