GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

that's good news. hopefully they can correct some of the design flaws.

The biggest design flaw was when the developers cut the apartment tower and hotel tower. City Centre works because it's in a hot area of town AND because it has 100s of apartments and Hotel Sorella built in to the project.

Hopefully they built the Pavilions with the ability to go vertical in the future. Would love to see a 15-20 story apartment tower on one block and a boutique hotel on the other...

The biggest design flaw was when the developers cut the apartment tower and hotel tower. City Centre works because it's in a hot area of town AND because it has 100s of apartments and Hotel Sorella built in to the project.

Hopefully they built the Pavilions with the ability to go vertical in the future. Would love to see a 15-20 story apartment tower on one block and a boutique hotel on the other...

Nonsense. Downtowns are different than suburban developments. Suburban developments that want to create an urban vibe have to include all of the elements within their development. Not so, downtown. There are hotels and apartments right across the street from the Paviolions and more of both within blocks.

But there's garages right across the street?

Are they not already in use? Code will require more parking. It helps the formula a little bit if the parking is shared by land uses that operate on different schedules...but then, apartment/condo tenants hate mixing with public parking and will want reserved spaces.

Again. What you see is what you get. The fee developer had to compromise on density to take advantage of what I like to call 'stupid money' when it became available. Otherwise, these would just be three vacant blocks.

Edited by TheNiche

the only place they could put residential in Pavilions is where Books A Million is now, and BAM isn't made to have additional floors added above it- they would have to knock it down.

but, honestly... would you want to live within two blocks of two very loud music venues, a bowling alley, and next to the main parking lots for said place?

the only place they could put residential in Pavilions is where Books A Million is now, and BAM isn't made to have additional floors added above it- they would have to knock it down.

but, honestly... would you want to live within two blocks of two very loud music venues, a bowling alley, and next to the main parking lots for said place?

daniepwills and anyone else in Humble Tower already do. I live on top of a bar and on the same block as two clubs. It works out okay.

Edited by kylejack

Yes.

Well damn, I've been out of the development game for too long.

Whatever the case, adding a highrise would require more parking just to suit tenants' needs. And more importantly, I fail to understand why a developer seeking to add a tower would build one here. There are better blocks with fewer complications elsewhere in downtown.

Edited by TheNiche

I just returned from Denver and must say the Denver Pavilions are very successful, at least by observatory glance. H&M is packed; there are restaurants and stores, even a movie theatre and a Da Vinci exhibition. The key is the pedestrian street though I think. Bagby is an expiriment in midtown if that works perhaps a similar idea could be floated around the pavilions area; though it is fair to note that main street failed.

Denver Pavilions, although much smaller has more energy as a result of the spillover affect from pedestrian activity off the 16th street mall. The developers really screwed the design phase of the Houston Pavilions project up big time. It all started with them eliminating the condo component. At first, i didn't think it was a big deal because i knew how successful Denver's was without them, plus i knew One Park Place was opening up right down the way and thought it serve to fill that void.

Also, the loading docks are very unattractive and quite a turn off. There's been countless number of times i've been hovering around the House of blues while they're loading/unloading merchandise and the pedestrians have to go around it. Who wants to see all of that? The design also being enclosed inward didn't really help create a vibrancy.

I'm somewhat glad to see that other developers will take over. Hopefully, they can fix some design flaws as an earlier poster pointed out.

• 3 months later...

Magic Johnson's group purchased HP. Any chance that they will do something that will get this place 100% leased?

Actually, that would be a great poll question: When will HP be 100% leased. A) by 2014 B) by 2016 C) after 2020 D) Never

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/08/magic-johnsons-company-buys-houston-pavilions/

Edited by lockmat

Magic Johnson's group purchased HP. Any chance that they will do something that will get this place 100% leased?

Actually, that would be a great poll question: When will HP be 100% leased. A) by 2014 B) by 2016 C) after 2020 D) Never

http://blog.chron.co...ston-pavilions/

From the little I know of his real estate investments, I think it is safe to say "There goes the neighborhood". :(

Here's another article about the Houston Pavilions being sold:

Since Houston’s regional malls were born in the suburbs decades ago, retailing in downtown Houston has been a challenging proposition. Converting some of the Pavilions’ retail space into office space could be a viable option with a near-term boost in revenue.

The Canyon-Johnson and Midway venture has a strong track record that is perfectly suited to revitalizing the Houston Pavilions.

Linky: http://realtynewsreport.com/2012/08/21/magic-johnson-group-and-midway-buy-downtown-houston-project/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why they would be cancelled, they are a scheduled tenant, plus agreements with Comcast and the city have already been made. This is just a change in ownership if the property, but I don't see where Magic and the other investors would just cancel this some how.

You should know better than to pay any attention to LTAWCS. I don't think there is any reason to believe the NBC/Comcast Studios will be canceled. In fact, I'm pretty sure the buildout of their space is proceeding right now.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

From a Chronicle article about Comcast Houston...

Meanwhile, work continues on the company’s office and studio complex in the Houston Pavilions, and rehearsals began this week for the studio news and talk programs that will air when the network premieres.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2012/09/csn-houston-promo-campaign-features-altuve-lin/

As usual, his attempts to demean anything good about Houston are unfounded. The network launches October 1.

• Like 1

I went to Forever 21 and started walking around and noticed what looked like some trading firm upstairs with a bunch of people sitting in front of their monitors...is that a trading firm or something? Everyone looked young too and all professionally dressed.

Energy company NRG is the parent of Reliant. When Pavilions couldn't fill up with retail they leased a bunch of office space to NRG. Yes, they trade energy there. I interviewed with them a while back.

Edited by kylejack

Energy company NRG is the parent of Reliant. When Pavilions couldn't fill up with retail they leased a bunch of office space to NRG. Yes, they trade energy there. I interviewed with them a while back.

Did you interview for a financial analyst or trader type of position? Do you know if they hire IT people?