GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

We had that, it never worked, because very few police officers had the equipment to read it, and even when they did it wasn't calibrated correctly, or so it could be contested in a court of law. If you can hear the noise from inside your home and so can a police officer, then the noise is too loud.

That is not the standard in the new ordinance. Your house has walls, and the new standard relates to noise that can be heard from the sidewalk outside the venue.

If the person who has the loud noise refuses to turn it down, then yes, they should be fined. Everyone is entitled to a peaceful home. Sorry if that offends anyone, just the way I see it.

That is not the nature of the new ordinance. They can be fined (and arrested) regardless of whether they refuse to turn it down.

That is not the standard in the new ordinance. Your house has walls, and the new standard relates to noise that can be heard from the sidewalk outside the venue.

That is not the nature of the new ordinance. They can be fined (and arrested) regardless of whether they refuse to turn it down.

I am not arguing with you regarding the new ordinance, I didn't even mention the new ordinance. I did respond to your post regarding a decibel standard. The old noise ordinance did have specific decibel levels during the day and during the night, and police officers had to use equipment to measure the decibels. The rest of my post is my personal opinion.

that wasn't Gertners, that was us... we had a duh step show that brought in the most ridiculous sound system. I felt like I was physically assaulted by the sound the ten minutes I had to sit out there (spl so high some frequencies literally choked me)

• Like 1

Well I talked to him again on Friday, very nice guy. He thinks it was because all of the doors were open to the patio, he is only going to leave one set of doors open. It was much better Friday night, I am not sure about Saturday night because I took a sleeping pill because I had to be up at 7am on Sunday and didn't want to chance it.

I am not arguing with you regarding the new ordinance, I didn't even mention the new ordinance.

I don't think [the noise ordinance] is draconian at all. Noise pollution is out of control. If anything it needs to be enforced more, and the fines should go up after numerous occurrences.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

I never once mentioned the new ordinance in response to you, is what I meant. I am not trying to get in an argument with you so please do stop it already. I already stated the way I felt, please refer back to that statement...

Edited by Daniepwils

http://blog.chron.co...dios-wednesday/

City, NBC to announce agreement for downtown Comcast SportsNet Houston studios Wednesday

"NBC will take another step Wednesday afternoon toward the launch of its Comcast SportsNet regional sports network with a 2 p.m. news conference at the Pavilions, which will house the network’s downtown Houston studios.

Matt Hutchings, the network’s general manager, will be on hand with Mayor Annise Parker and officials with the Rockets and Astros, whose games will appear on the network beginning this fall and in the spring of 2013, respectively.

The NBC Sports Group was seeking about $2 million in city and state support for studios and office space for the network, which will employ about 125 people."

Excellent exposure for downtown H

Edited by DrLan34

http://blog.chron.co...dios-wednesday/

City, NBC to announce agreement for downtown Comcast SportsNet Houston studios Wednesday

"NBC will take another step Wednesday afternoon toward the launch of its Comcast SportsNet regional sports network with a 2 p.m. news conference at the Pavilions, which will house the network’s downtown Houston studios.

Matt Hutchings, the network’s general manager, will be on hand with Mayor Annise Parker and officials with the Rockets and Astros, whose games will appear on the network beginning this fall and in the spring of 2013, respectively.

The NBC Sports Group was seeking about $2 million in city and state support for studios and office space for the network, which will employ about 125 people."

Excellent exposure for downtown H

O who cares about any of that non-sense! WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS PROBLEMS!!!! I thought I saw someone who looked kind of poor walking by downtown the other day.

Just Kidding.

This is fantastic news. Who would have ever thought that HP's first real nationally known tenant was going to be NBC. I know it isn't retail, but NBC Sports will surely make HP a more attractive location for other businesses - hopefully some more cool ones like House of Blues, Lucky Strike Lanes and Pete's Dueling Piano Bar.

• Like 1

So what is the result from the press confrence? Is this just for the local cable channel or for the national NBC Sports studio Houston was bidding for? With the national deal, I heard that talk shows would also be filmed in the studios. What did they mean by talk shows? Sports talk shows or a Debra Duncan/Oprah/Ellen/Rachel Ray type talk show where many tourist will go daily with free tickets to the shows.

So what is the result from the press confrence? Is this just for the local cable channel or for the national NBC Sports studio Houston was bidding for? With the national deal, I heard that talk shows would also be filmed in the studios. What did they mean by talk shows? Sports talk shows or a Debra Duncan/Oprah/Ellen/Rachel Ray type talk show where many tourist will go daily with free tickets to the shows.

That would be huge, but I think that it is going to be a local affiliate similar to Fox Sports Houston...but its just my opinion

Edited by ChrisPHous

Here is an older article about how Houston was competing with Stamford, Conn for the facility:

http://www.chron.com...own-2653814.php

If the studio was just ment for Houston related sports then why would the shows be broadcast out of Stamford? Where do the other 10 local sports channels that this company owns broadcast from? There cities or from Stamford? I remember reading something about talk shows being taped in the studios as well. I will look for that article.

Edited by citykid09

http://houston.cultu...ston-pavilions/

"Just steps away from the light rail, and down the street from the George R. Brown as well as three nearby stadiums, the studio's street level viewing area is poised to become a destination in itself — akin to the sidewalks outside of NBC's Today Show at Rockefeller Center."

Edited by DrLan34

Is this the studio for a regional cable network? Rival cities? Who did we beat out? deer Park and Pearland?

Thats what I am saying! When the channel was first announced, they made it seem like Houston was competing with Stamford for the national studios of the NBC Sports Network. Now it seems that its just the local channel that will have shows taped from there. They said something like if Houston didn't win the bid for the studio then it would still get a smaller office, but that the main studio would be in Stamford. Its all just so confusing! :wacko:

Its still exciting that something new is coming to downtown though, even if it won't be national shows and talk shows.

Edited by citykid09

I noticed NBC Sports on Comcast channel 49. They were showing an MLS game over the weekend, of course the Dynamo game was only on Galavision...

I guess they merged with Versus and relaunched (Spring 2011), i didn't even notice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Sports_Network#Merger_with_NBC_Sports

Here's a wiki on the Houston channel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_SportsNet_Houston

Is this the same channel that will have studios in the Pavilions?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the end result of all this could be successful. Eventually. There have been a lot of ventures over the years that the original investors/owners lose their shirts due. Someone comes in, buys the property/business for a song - fixes/updates it for a relatively minor amount and ends up with a nice successful enterprise.

So maybe whomever picks up HP from Transwestern will have the stones to ride out the difficulties now and with some intelligently planned upgrades - turn it around. If they get it for the right price - it could be done.

The bones are there for a successful project. Just hoping the execution follows.

As soon as I realized what kinds of rents they had to get in order to break even, I was secretly hoping this day would come. The development, albeit pretty weird and ugly, is already there. Cheaper selling price will mean, I hope, improvements to the sidewalk experience, especially along Dallas (as Pleak mentioned). Cheaper selling price will also mean cheaper rents. Cheaper rents = tenants. Tenants = activity. Activity = better tenants; better tenants = more exciting place to be.

My fear is that by selling it, the new buyers may not be dedicated to keeping it as a retail destination as its initial plan indicated. The original developers have already deviated from their intent in trying to grab whatever occupants it could just to keep their heads above water (IE NRG/Reliant office space). I hope we don't see anymore boring office space.

My fear is that by selling it, the new buyers may not be dedicated to keeping it as a retail destination as its initial plan indicated. The original developers have already deviated from their intent in trying to grab whatever occupants it could just to keep their heads above water (IE NRG/Reliant office space). I hope we don't see anymore boring office space.

Actually, I wouldn't mind this - and here's why: There's no strong reason why Downtown has to be this city's shopping district. Sure, there's the Macy's (the Galleria locations are superior, IMO) and The Shops (small and mostly a 'local' outlet for downtown workers), but I don't see Downtown as ever being a prime shopping destination. Instead, what I'd like to see happen is that the city support better pedestrian and transportation infrastructure in the Galleria/Uptown area, where many of the city's premier shopping destinations already exist. But, that doesn't seem to be the priority.

• 1 month later...