GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Would be nice. I always wonder about these sorts of grand plans though.

I think the thing i like most about this, being that it is actually happening, is the widening of the sidewalks around the pavilions. The building/complex really does need a more inviting exterior, hopefully this will encourage sidewalk seating, etc.

The rest of it, who knows. Would be nice if the Sakowitz building did actual renovate for retail. It's such a bizarre sight to see a building like that, and look inside to only see parking.

Would be nice if the Sakowitz building did actual renovate for retail. It's such a bizarre sight to see a building like that, and look inside to only see parking.

I kind of like it bizzare, to be honest. I only wish that they'd do a better job with bird control.

As for the downtown plans, I only hope that people understand that the difference between a sketch as a vision, a plan as a framework, and a financially feasible proposal.

What a fun, exciting, potentially positive game-changing idea for downtown Houston.

The people here will absolutely DESPISE it. The last thing we need is any fancy-shmancy ideas getting us all worked up. We must never lose touch with that CAN'T DO attitude. No dreaming allowed. No exceptions!

• Like 1

Good to see they stole my idea from 3-4 years ago. I called Dallas Street as a potential destination street in one of those Dallas/Houston comparison threads (I think it is locked now). It has good potential with what is already there. Some TLC along the sidewalks could entice some movement by retailers and restaurantuers. I agree with Niche, though the Downtown Management District does actually have a funding source.

Good to see they stole my idea from 3-4 years ago. I called Dallas Street as a potential destination street in one of those Dallas/Houston comparison threads (I think it is locked now). It has good potential with what is already there. Some TLC along the sidewalks could entice some movement by retailers and restaurantuers. I agree with Niche, though the Downtown Management District does actually have a funding source.

I think i remember when you were talking about this. Wasn't it something about the Dallas Street Promenade or something? I had a similar idea on that too.

I think i remember when you were talking about this. Wasn't it something about the Dallas Street Promenade or something? I had a similar idea on that too.

Yep. Sure was. I still think in time it could work out. I'm not sure we should expect much during this recession/sluggish recovery, though.

Is this new? And do these studies actually produce results?

http://www.h-gac.com...ntown-eado.aspx

Not without political buy-in. It would require a fairly substantial programmatic and responsibly-administered subsidy to achieve the vision within any reasonable time horizon. To that end, fanciful sketches and the glowing recommendations of bought-and-paid-for economic consultants make for the best possible ammunition. (And Red is right that the Downtown Mgt. District has lots of money...but not enough to go it alone.) If patience isn't an issue, then all it takes are some draconian land use restrictions and lots of time.

And even under these circumstances...projects like Victory in Dallas and our own experiences with Houston Pavilions have demonstrated that ground-level retail can't be force-fed. The number of vacant storefronts would be substantial. Many people think that what is above retail supports the retail, but that's true only to a very limited extent. It takes a critical mass for that to occur. I once calculated that at a minimum, it would take a quarter-mile radial area comprised of homogenous 22-story apartment towers with ground-floor retail (and structured parking, not included in the story count) in order for those storefronts to be self-sufficient from a market perspective. Obviously, what is envisioned for east Downtown does not have to be completely self-sustaining to be worthwhile, but it does give some perspective as to the nature of the challenge.

• Like 1

The main problem with Dallas St. is the bldg service docks for HP/HOB and the office tower (4xx? Fannin) across the street. I'm not one to judge (b/c I do this all the time) but walking by dumpsters and the "retail pedestrian experience" seem a tad at odds with the vision expressed here.

The main problem with Dallas St. is the bldg service docks for HP/HOB and the office tower (4xx? Fannin) across the street. I'm not one to judge (b/c I do this all the time) but walking by dumpsters and the "retail pedestrian experience" seem a tad at odds with the vision expressed here.

Not to mention the smell near there is extremely foul all the time. I think there is a grease trap run off or something right there.

It's on the top level of the outdoor mall. It is an indoor venue but it has an exterior patio area with seating. I'm pretty sure the closest residents in the Humble tower won't be able to hear much noise if the setup is indoors primarily.

Edited by infinite_jim

It's on the top level of the outdoor mall. It is an indoor venue but it has an exterior patio area with seating. I'm pretty sure the closest residents in the Humble tower won't be able to hear much noise if the setup is indoors primarily.

That is where I am. I am literally the closest resident to this project, lol. I talked to the GM of The Pavilions yesterday and she said that all the music will be indoors, although they will have a roof deck area with music it will be enclosed. And that Scott Gertner has noise ordinance requirements in his lease as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head, I think the one thing that most pedestrians in downtown would like are bollards to protect them from speeding vechicles. I've seen some things..

A Marshall Fields couldn't hurt either (according to my wife).

I'd rather see trees every few yards, with a few bollards mixed in.

• Like 1

- I can't take that goofy vertical Macy's sign seriously. Unless they actually went the extra mile and made it more like the NYC Macy's (for starters, putting in actual places to eat inside the store, not downsizing), then they probably shouldn't mess with it too much. Want something cool? Change it back to a Foley's.

- I've been to downtown. There are some nice things (the fountains under the light rail are pretty neat), but it's kind of sketchy and not a place to be at night.

- Who are they aiming for? Locals? Tourists?

Yea there's nothing sketchy about walking around downtown at night. You might pass by a few bums here and there but it's not like they are going to do anything to you. They greyhound bus station on main st in north Midtown is probably the place I wouldn't want to venture around at night though.

- I can't take that goofy vertical Macy's sign seriously. Unless they actually went the extra mile and made it more like the NYC Macy's (for starters, putting in actual places to eat inside the store, not downsizing), then they probably shouldn't mess with it too much. Want something cool? Change it back to a Foley's.

- I've been to downtown. There are some nice things (the fountains under the light rail are pretty neat), but it's kind of sketchy and not a place to be at night.

- Who are they aiming for? Locals? Tourists?

I seem to think downtown is much safer than it once was, in fact, around the places people go, house of blues, baseball, basketball, etc. Lots of people, relatively safe. Homeless people asking for money isn't a danger to most, but is probably the worst safety issue.

On another note, does Macy's have a parking garage? It's very rare I want to shop at Macy's, but I don't particularly want to pay for parking, or go all the way to memorial city, or the Galleria.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk