George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

On 1/26/2017 at 6:47 PM, Nole23 said:

Xochi is ready to rock and roll. Sorry for not getting a closeup but the interior looks really nice. I walked by on my way to McAlister's Deli and saw Hugo Ortega sitting on the patio so I asked when would they be open and he told me Saturday. Nice guy.

20170126_191801_zpsrufjdpv4.jpg

Cool.  For the record, with this news about Xochi and the news posted elsewhere about Brasserie du Parc, that makes 9 of the 11 new avenida restaurants open before the end of January; 3 of the 5 in the GRB/Partnership Tower complex.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, cspwal said:

I always wonder during these events that close off streets around Discovery green - what do the residents of One Park Place think?  Or is that a worry for their chauffeurs?

A lane or two remain open on McKinney and Lamar.  Passed by Phonecia for groceries a couple days ago and was immediately reminded of the upcoming madness when leaving the garage.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, cspwal said:

I always wonder during these events that close off streets around Discovery green - what do the residents of One Park Place think?  Or is that a worry for their chauffeurs?

There is a big flashing street sign the says "Park Place Residents Stay Right" as you approach Disco Green....

• Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 11:50 PM, monarch said:

C3Jy4NLUMAAo3Gn.jpg

C3Jy4NLUkAAKvMs.jpg

C3Jy4NLVUAAUe1Z.jpg

SB51_emoji.png

^^^ does anyone harbor any insight as to what process is used to make the lighted tower projection in illustration #2?  that particular art piece is simply incredible.  HOW DO THEY DO THAT?  simply beautiful.....

magic :)

you plug in lights, you aim lights, you close shutters so they don't spill over onto the non-banner area, then wipe hands on pants.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

magic :)

you plug in lights, you aim lights, you close shutters so they don't spill over onto the non-banner area, then wipe hands on pants.

So you are saying that the trophy in the second picture is reflected  Light?  Where would the lights be positioned to allow for what appears to be zero fall off or gradation and a apparent lack of any noticeable "beams" of light?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

So you are saying that the trophy in the second picture is reflected  Light?  Where would the lights be positioned to allow for what appears to be zero fall off or gradation and a apparent lack of any noticeable "beams" of light?

I was also perplexed by the way the wrap glows at night time, but it's definitely a projector of some sort.  They were playing clips of videos on the window wrap when I was there last night.  Very cool however they're doing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I was also perplexed by the way the wrap glows at night time, but it's definitely a projector of some sort.  They were playing clips of videos on the window wrap when I was there last night.  Very cool however they're doing it.

It's definitely a projector. It's on the lawn at discovery green. Looks like it's inside of a tent that has several holes that the beams are coming out of.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Vid of the projection. 

Attended both days of Super Bowl Live thus far. The setup of the entire Convention District campus as the epicenter for activity is perfect for large scale events like this. It's a great package to land future events. 

Oh also, you might see me on Fox Sports Live with Jay & Dan. Got interviewed, hopefully it makes the cut...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, monarch said:

C3W2nirUYAAxoyc.jpg:large

now-open.png

HH_avenida_198x138_FitToBoxSmallDimensio

^^^ welcome BUD'S PITMASTER BBQ to downtown houston!  i cannot wait to sample this highly anticipated new bbq place at AH.....

Wow.  That brings us to 10 out of the 11 new Avenida restaurants.  4 our of the 5 int eh GRB/Partnership Tower complex.  And it's  still January.

• Like 2

like.gif

^^^ @bobruss eloquent, passionate, and very well articulated piece my good pal.  now i shall be awaiting the very next SportsCenter/SPORTS SUNDAY segment.  words alone, could never convey just how very proud i am of our most wonderful and fair city of houston.  props for sharing  

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

I was at opening night last night and it was super fun!!! we even got to get down to the front row as it wasn't as sold out as they said...in fact i would say i was surprised at how many open seats there were...BUT it was a blast and seeing all the players walk around for interviews was cool as was the X Ambassadors concert (each of the 2 sets...and wow that voice!) but it was the fireworks display that blew my mind...as the last couple of songs were being played by X Ambassadors they opened the roof, and just as the last song ended a fireworks display began...that never seemed to end haha!!! it was AWESOME!!! such a beautiful night! 

• Like 2

http://4OUbqFv.jpg

could only find one photo that i took from when my best friend headlined Super Bowl Live this past Saturday 01/28/17 (view from backstage)!

#blueoctober (i have tons of snapchat videos saved to my phone with even better crowd photos but cannot figure out how to upload them)

:)

what an amazing night!!!

Edited by gene
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Houston needs a very nice Space Needle adjacent to this park, a very tall one, maybe where that railroad or other can't remember museum thing that failed was to go and the museum at the bottom can talk about the history of space and Houston's role and the plans to do stuff at Ellington Space Port for the future.

Space City = Space Needle

I've been saying this for the longest.  The two grassy blocks just south of Minute Maid need to be a Space Needle-type observation tower and attraction.  Not only would it stretch the skyline and provide a focal point for that side of town, but it would create a nonstop stream of tourism income that would sustain the restaurants, attract retail and residential, and possibly spur that 102-story pipe dream office/hotel/condo tower on the block north of the Marriott Marquis. 

What can we do to make this happen?  I have a personal relationship with a city councilmember.  Do you think having her support would matter at all?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gator Purify said:

I've been saying this for the longest.  The two grassy blocks just south of Minute Maid need to be a Space Needle-type observation tower and attraction.  Not only would it stretch the skyline and provide a focal point for that side of town, but it would create a nonstop stream of tourism income that would sustain the restaurants, attract retail and residential, and possibly spur that 102-story pipe dream office/hotel/condo tower on the block north of the Marriott Marquis. 

What can we do to make this happen?  I have a personal relationship with a city councilmember.  Do you think having her support would matter at all?

Please mention this to her

• Like 4

A space needle that somehow incorporates both space vehicle design (modular looking, possibly solar panels) and oil (maybe have visible trusses on the tower part - something subtle but not overwhelming)

I would also say it would need to be tallest observation tower in the US, because everything is bigger in Texas.

Probably would be three levels - observation level, restaurant level, and then private club level.  The ground floor could be a Houston history museum, or be restaurants.  A market might work, or just a nice park, but I think it would need a little bit more since Discovery green will be right there.

Maybe they could get some money from the Astros - they could sell super nose bleed seats on it

• Like 3

I'd love to see a SkySpire (by US Thrill Rides) get located somewhere appropriately downtown...  http://www.usthrillrides.com/products/skyspire/

...Maybe where the Nau Center was supposed to go, and just include Tourism exhibit areas at the base? 

(New Orleans may apparently get one on the waterfront:  http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216127 )

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, gene said:

I was at opening night last night and it was super fun!!! we even got to get down to the front row as it wasn't as sold out as they said...in fact i would say i was surprised at how many open seats there were...BUT it was a blast and seeing all the players walk around for interviews was cool as was the X Ambassadors concert (each of the 2 sets...and wow that voice!) but it was the fireworks display that blew my mind...as the last couple of songs were being played by X Ambassadors they opened the roof, and just as the last song ended a fireworks display began...that never seemed to end haha!!! it was AWESOME!!! such a beautiful night! 

Was there too. When the roof opened, it was glorious. 

Also, I got Falcons owner Arthur Blank to dance. Assist to Guillermo. 

• Like 2